Still Alice

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Finally had the opportunity to see Still Alice this afternoon. A very powerful movie and a bit scary for any of us around retirement age or older. I can see why Julianne Moore has captured the Best Actress awards at several of the award shows this year. I like it when the Best Actor/Actress/Supporting Actor/Supporting Actress nominees are recognized for their ability of not having to "over act" the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrXrZ5iiR0o&spfreload=10

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I completely agree. If she doesn't win the Oscar for Best Actress......

I saw it last week with my wife and as we were walking out I said to her that it was a difficult film to watch. Having said that this is a wonderful story about a family with a mom who develops early onset Alzheimer's which is quite uncommon. She is a highly successful and very intelligent Professor of Communications (of all things) at Columbia University and to watch her go from a very powerful woman to one who has quickly spiraled downwards from Alzheimer's as well as knowing that her oldest daughter will also develop the disease based on genetic testing will also develop the disease is intense at moments

Very powerful story and as I said, sometimes very difficult to watch if you have ever had a senior moment

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve the scene where the "deteriorating" Alice finds the video she had recorded to her future self shortly after she became aware of her condition showed just well she handled the role. The juxtaposition of the two Alice's was heart wrenching.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Here is what an Oscar voter thought:

? BEST ACTRESS

I'm not sorry that Jennifer Aniston isn't nominated; she was fine, but I thought her movie [Cake] was ridiculous. [Two Days, One Night's] Marion Cotillard gave a really good performance, and I was glad she made it through. [The Theory of Everything's] Felicity Jones was fine, but she kind of came in on the ticket with [Redmayne]. I didn't like Gone Girl [which starred Rosamund Pike]. Reese [Witherspoon in Wild] was very good, but that movie was not. But the minute I saw Still Alice, I remember thinking, "This [best actress race] is over. Four other women are going to have to get dressed and go to 5,000 dinners knowing they have no chance." MY VOTE: Julianne Moore (Still Alice)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-2015-773902

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve the scene where the "deteriorating" Alice finds the video she had recorded to her future self shortly after she became aware of her condition showed just well she handled the role. The juxtaposition of the two Alice's was heart wrenching.

not only was it heart wrenching but she had to go down stairs again to follow the instructions as to what she is telling herself to do

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing