Steve Jobs

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just returned from seeing the movie. How people respond to this movie will depend on why they enjoy going to the movies. If you are looking for great dialog (and nobody does it better than Aaron Sorkin) and acting that is Oscar worthy the you will walk out satiated. Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslet are probably shoe-ins for nominations. I have never much liked Seth Rogan but he is excellent as Steve Wozniak as is Jeff Daniels as John Scully.

The movie portrays Job's as a very flawed individual when it comes to his personal relationships. Linda left really disliking him.

This has been a weak year at the movies so this easily moves into the handful of better releases I have seen so far. In any case the dialog and acting stands up against most in any recent year.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
How many Steve Jobs movies have been made now? Didn't Ashton Kutcher do a Steve Jobs movie?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

From left to right:

1. No release date yet for the Blu-ray (playing in theaters right now...and the one Jim is referring to).
2. November 2, 2015 - for that BR release.
3. Already released on Blu (November 26, 2013). ....And the one with Ashton Kutcher.
4. Already released on Blu (August 21, 2012).

* I believe that there are more about Steve Jobs ... documentaries.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The movie portrays Job's as a very flawed individual when it comes to his personal relationships. Linda left really disliking him.
The movie is not supposed to be very accurate. That said, the people I know who have come into contact with him including myself in corporate world, have walked away with the same experience as your wife. He was not a pleasant person to be around.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is a Woz interview on washingtonpost.com I think that claims lots of parts of the movie are not accurate. I personally enjoyed the movie immensely

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We just got home from having seen and I too enjoyed it immensely. I can understand why the movie has not been acknowledged by the Jobs family. It certainly portrayed him as the person everyone said he was. Nonetheless the man was a true visionary. I thought the best line in the film and wonderful analogy was the comparison between the musicians in an orchestra and the conductor. The musicians play their instruments and the conductor plays the musicians. Jobs said he plays the musicians. He was the conductor. He was the visionary whereas Woz was the engineer who brought it to life.

Act One was filmed in 16 mm, Act Two in 35 mm and Act Three was filmed in digital.

FWIW I hate Seth Rogan as an actor other than one or two films but as Woz he did a very good impersonation.

Definitely worth seeing

The editing during the rain storm flashing between past and present was seamlessly edited

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
He was the visionary whereas Woz was the engineer who brought it to life.
If that is what they portrayed I can see why there is such much protest because that is pretty wrong. Steve Wozniak was a genius and no ordinary engineer. If you were there at the birth of the company as I was, you would have heard next to nothing about Jobs. It was all the genius of Wozniak staring at you in the face. I remember looking at his code and the way he had so optimized the system and just wondered with amazement. As did many others who looked at his hardware and software creation.

As is typical when someone does great things later in life, all of a sudden people think he has been that great all his life. Jobs was not that. Until fashion and style became important, his core competency, there were others who were the real geniuses and experts. Here is the Wiki on Woz: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak

"Stephen (or Stephan) Gary "Steve" Wozniak[1]:18 (born August 11, 1950),[2] known as "Woz", is an American pioneer of the personal computer revolution of the 1970s (along with Apple Computer co-founder, Steve Jobs). Wozniak is an American inventor, electronics engineer, and computer programmer who single-handedly developed the 1976 Apple I, the computer that launched Apple. He primarily designed the 1977 Apple II, but Jobs oversaw the development of its unusual case and Rod Holt developed the unique power supply.[3]"

And one of many examples of his genius:

"Wozniak found a way of putting colors into the NTSC system by using a $1 chip,[13] while colors in the PAL system were achieved by "accident" when a dot occurred on a line, and to this day he has no idea how it works.[14]"

$1 for an NTSC encoder? Incredible.

"During the design stage, Steve Jobs argued that the Apple II should have two expansion slots, while Wozniak wanted six. After a heated argument, during which Wozniak had threatened for Jobs to 'go get himself another computer', they decided to go with eight slots. The Apple II became one of the first highly successful mass-produced personal computers."

Having so many slots was the most useful feature of the Apple II and allowed it to be expanded in so many ways.

Job's failure with Lisa or Newton is not remembered it seems by so many who think the man was born a genius from start and forever. To say nothing of total failure at Next Computer.

Jobs has done the world a lot of good. But not all that he did has been good.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You should see the movie; Jobs is portrayed quite the flawed character. And it sports a tremendous verbal showdown between the two, that you being so argumentative would appreciate :D I did, because I can be like that, though not on the internet - I prefer to read educational articles instead...

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Amir
The movie actually portrays Jobs very much as you posted. The analogy that Steve posted about the difference between the Conductor and the Orchestra they discussed int he movie was spot on. They definitely nailed his failures with Lisa and at Nexus. According to the movie (and book) Jobs squashed the Newton when he returned to Apple, mostly because it required a stylus.

The movie ended with the launch of the first iMac so the rise of Apple with Jobs at the helm after 98 was never in the movie.

Steve Williams

Woz was a genius and portrayed as such. I loved his demo of the new watch he was wearing. My wife left the theater hating Steve Jobs. The part about his father is also true as to how they met. Lisa grew to be a beautiful woman in real life

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir
The movie actually portrays Jobs very much as you posted. The analogy that Steve posted about the difference between the Conductor and the Orchestra they discussed int he movie was spot on. They definitely nailed his failures with Lisa and at Nexus. According to the movie (and book) Jobs squashed the Newton when he returned to Apple, mostly because it required a stylus.

The movie ended with the launch of the first iMac so the rise of Apple with Jobs at the helm after 98 was never in the movie.
OK, I feel better now :). Thanks. Look forward to seeing it in home video.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I wil rent this when it comes out but did see the one with Aston Kuchar. I thought he did a great job as Jobs (?). And clearly it demonstrated that Jobs was not a nice person. I don't know if it was true but in this film, it showed Steve Jobs completely screwing most of his initial employees out of stock options.

There are arguments about how he was not a visionary. I totally disagree. Here is one definition of the word - as an adjective: "thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom." Can there be any doubt he did so?

While the Mac interface was developed at Xerox, Jobs was smart enough to "steal it" and turn it into the interface that both Macs and PC's now utilize. And look how he changed the music business. One could certainly argue that for those of us on this forum, it was not for the better but significant change nonetheless. We could go on. Was Jobs a jerk? Apparently? A visionary? Certainly in my opinion he was.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
here are arguments about how he was not a visionary. I totally disagree. Here is one definition of the word - as an adjective: "thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom." Can there be any doubt he did so?
Depends on your definition. What you describe is what I call Paypal. Can someone send money to someone else with just a pure email address? The entire banking community had not thought of that. That was visionary.

Take the personal computer. IBM built it but it was Microsoft that figured out the real gold mine was the software. IBM sold the hardware business to Lenova and the PC hardware industry struggles to this day.

People think Jobs must have invented the iPod and iPhone so they bestow these accolades onto them. In reality, much of what we see here is the brilliance of Apple designers, and engineers with *leadership* from Jobs. It was Rubinstein who discovered by chance that Toshiba had developed a 1.8 inch drive that could make it possible to build a large capacity portable device that was small. It was Phil Schiller who thought of using the wheel to navigate. And the unsung heros were companies like Portal Player which had already built the complete platform for the player (we worked with them while at Microsoft).

The brilliance of job was recognizing that once prototyped, this device was going to be revolutionary much like the original Sony Walkman was. So he poured a ton of money on it to the tune of $20M marketing budget. You could not walk five inches and not see an iPod ad during that time.

He also had one thing that is unique, super unique: being the most charismatic tech leader ever. Every other smart tech founder combined could not hold a candle to him. Bill Gates looked like a genius college dropout. Jobs looked like the guy who could tell you what you were going to eat for lunch tomorrow! :D

That let him do things that were impossible before. Take digital music distribution. The man walks into Warner Music one day, curses every executive there and tells them they are all stupid and are going to go out of business. Can you imagine if you are a normal executive and walk into a #2 music company and act that way? You would be thrown out of the room in an instant. "Content is King." At that time music companies were super powerful entities. Anyway he then demands that they break up the album into tracks. They tell him no way. He says, "let me just do it on the Mac. I have a 5% market share so your exposure is very little." The idiots that they were, they agree.

iTunes store opens up and tracks are available for 99 cent with one click buying which by the way, Amazon had patented and everyone was scared to use. It is an instant "hit" as customers for the first time are able to buy and pay just for the one track that they want. As you know when it comes to pop albums, there is always that one or two catchy track and the rest are fillers that brought the price up to $12. Now you could get just the one hit song for 99 cent.

I meet with the record execs after this. They are grinning cheek to cheek. One of them said, "customers are buying music like it is potato chips; they buy one, then another and then another!" So they proceed to license their music that way for longer term and with no platform restriction. Great thing for consumers. But pushed music business closer to the grave.

Is this being visionary? Sucking out the profitability out of music and capturing it in the hardware he sells?

Until the iPod came out, there was no precedent for us paying 50 to 60% profit margin. Those devices sold at 5% or whatever. We made it "OK" to be charged so much more. And with it, we made their valuation highest of any company in the world. Did we do ourselves some good here?

All of this said, recognizing excellence as he did is a remarkable thing. I didn't recognize Youtube as anything but a bad idea due to huge losses it ran when it was started. Years and years later, it is making money for Google now. So what do I know :). No doubt huge amount of good has come out of him being involved in tech world. Every time I use my phone to download an app and use it, I think of how clever it was to create a new ecosystem to develop, deliver and pay for apps so easily and efficiently. The monstrosity that was doing the same for Windows was gone.

I can't remotely deny Jobs the amazing role he had in leading Apple from a money losing company at the brink of becoming irrelevant to this powerhouse. I just hope you forgive me for not ignoring the roles of thousands and thousands of people below him and the brilliance that many of them had in making all of this happen. And the unlikable personality that he brought to the industry that already has a lot of unlikable personalities.

Let's recognize him for what he was but no more....

Steve Williams

Hmmmm...

used to be a saying, "let no man write his epitaph"

The movie was terrific and IMO the man was indeed a visionary. He just wasn't a kind soul so do we have to crap all over his grave now??

I thought this was a movie review not a character assassination.

Seems all of us who saw it really enjoyed and I don't think it to be kind to be talking smack about the dead. IMO the movie portrayed him the way he was. As Jobs himself commented to Lisa when she questioned him about his inadequacies he told her, "I have flaws"

Lets leave it at that rather than sully his image. As for ignoring the roles of his employees that was portrayed in the movie many times

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I can't remotely deny Jobs the amazing role he had in leading Apple from a money losing company at the brink of becoming irrelevant to this powerhouse. I just hope you forgive me for not ignoring the roles of thousands and thousands of people below him and the brilliance that many of them had in making all of this happen. And the unlikable personality that he brought to the industry that already has a lot of unlikable personalities.

Let's recognize him for what he was but no more....

You need to see the movie, and probably now.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hmmmm...

used to be a saying, "let no man write his epitaph"

The movie was terrific and IMO the man was indeed a visionary. He just wasn't a kind soul so do we have to crap all over his grave now??

I actually don't know if he was or was not a kind soul. Only people who lived with him would know that. What I do know is what he did in the business world and personally so. Question was asked if he was a visionary and I answered. Your impression from watching these movies and using his products don't bear on what I know.

I thought this was a movie review not a character assassination.
Again, I said nothing about his character but what he did in the industry. That assassination according to the reviews you all have written was done in the movie.

Seems all of us who saw it really enjoyed and I don't think it to be kind to be talking smack about the dead. IMO the movie portrayed him the way he was. As Jobs himself commented to Lisa when she questioned him about his inadequacies he told her, "I have flaws"

Lets leave it at that rather than sully his image. As for ignoring the roles of his employees that was portrayed in the movie many times
Sully his image? Knowing the reality is not sullying the image. It is knowing what happened from the person who came closest to knowing him in the industry in this forum.

Also, I could not praise him more as a great leader. Just don't tell me in Jobs fanboyism, giving credit to a company of thousands of designers and engineers is a bad thing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing