Stereophile's Products of 2019

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks! Interesting read.

Most interesting is that there is no Wilson, dCS, Audio Research, etc., in the winners, as we usually get in these lists. Maybe it's some kind of a typo. Or maybe the Russians, Ukrainians, Iranians, Chinese, or North Koreans hacked their site. :)

Reactions: Joe P

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
seems stereophile has become smitten with revel recently. Not for me to say with or without good reason, I was just less impressed with the f228 be than some other contenders in that price category.

Reactions: MJB

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
As always, these types of lists tend to be controversial. Interesting to read once and move on.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I look at lists because I buy gear for my systems, and lists help me narrow down the auditioning choices.

And I am also interested in psychology of influence. Popular brands in this hobby, although may be excellently engineered, are beneficiaries of the "bandwagon effect".

(The bandwagon effect is where popular brands become even more popular as people gain knowledge of them their friends, experienced influencers, dealers, online boards, show reports, and audio journalists..)

So influence by authority figures is very important in what we, as audio fans, see as raved about today and what will come out in a few years based on the hype today...

But coming back to this Stereophile list, Stereophile usually does a great job of comparing gear in the reviews (instead of unethically hyping something up as BEST, which wastes people's time and money). It would be helpful to know the rationale for why they like Revel and other winners so much better than the other gear. Otherwise, they are just expressions of taste.

Let me quote a couple of influential philosophers to help get my point across ...

Kant: " ... of themselves judgements of taste do not even set up any interest whatsoever. Only in society is it interesting to have taste..."

Nietzsche: "...And ye tell me, friends, that there is to be no dispute about taste and tasting? But all life is a dispute about taste and tasting!..."

So much of high end audio is arguing about taste... Stereophile needs to explain why the products they have selected are better in terms of explaining their taste (via comparisons) and the trade-offs people will face with these...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It would be helpful to know the rationale for why they like Revel and other winners so much better than the other gear. Otherwise, they are just expressions of taste.
The RC listings are the results of an election. If you want to know why some individuals voted the way they did, you have to read the specific reviews and reports for such information.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Such lists are useful because they bring my attention to products I overlook.
I can guess why Revel was chosen.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The RC listings are the results of an election. If you want to know why some individuals voted the way they did, you have to read the specific reviews and reports for such information.

Thanks. Maybe they can include some blurbs providing the rationale for casting the votes the way they did. Just a thought...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thanks. Maybe they can include some blurbs providing the rationale for casting the votes the way they did. Just a thought...
The RC listing occupy a huge amount of space in the April/October issues and a huge amount of effort by the editors. In addition to what is there now, the editors would have to solicit such comments from all contributors, read and assess those comments and then, after the final selections are determined, select and edit the comments for publication. The editors do include some added "color commentary" but doing it for each choice would be hard to justify in terms of space and effort.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing