Star Trek: Into Darkness

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I saw the movie yesterday, too and I agree with you: 2 1/2 - 3 stars. I thought the first hour of the movie was more interesting than the second hour excluding the climatic closing. Definitely a fun summer movie.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I thought the film was half hour too long

OK as a Trekkie, I'm going to be a wet rag and on a scale where First Contact and Wrath of Khan get five stars, Into the Darkness gets 2 stars.

This movie reminds me of what TV is doing to sports such as the Olympics or World Series. In other words, these sporting events are no longer broadcast for sports fans but dumbed down for the masses. That's the same thing that I see in the newest Star Trek: it's clearly made for non-Star Trek fans.

What annoyed me the most was that Abrams only paid lip service to the history and lineage of Star Trek. One example is the transwarp drive. IF the Federation had it that far back in time, why didn't they have it when the Borg invaded?

Then there's the inconsistencies between the last TV Star Trek and this movie. In the TV show, the Enterprise is a very primitive ship with phasers (then called phase cannons) added later in the series. Transporters weren't accepted and rarely used. The living conditions were pretty squalid. Instead here we have a modern ship with all these fancy computers, looks, etc. (of course no one in movieland would want a low-tech ship).

Another is the case of who actually said "The Five year mission...." In First Contact, that's attributed to Zephran Cochrane, the inventor of the warp drive; here it's attributed to Admiral Pike.

Then there's the death of Admiral Pike. That went against what was shown in the original Star Trek pilot entitled "The Menagerie" where Spock and Kirk take the crippled Pike to a forbidden planet to spend the rest of his days "outside" his crippled body that IIRC happened in some accident.

Oh yes, where did this Tribble come from and does this dual time line with Spock (s) and the destruction of Vulcan annoying anyone else? While on the subject of Spock vs. Spock, how could Spock (elder) tell Spock (young whippersnapper) about Khan without violating the timeline. And if they had killed Khan, how would that have affected the timeline?

Lastly, the movie jumped around like a Mexican jumping bean. Reminded me of doing "24" in 6 episodes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing