Spectral Reviews - myth or fact?

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
Hi Ack,
Point of clarification. I have the PDF for TAS 190 open right now. The review does NOT cover the 360S2. You can tell by the review's quoted output in watts (300/533)). From RH: "This latest version of the DMA-360 has evolved from earlier generations, although the model number has remained unchanged. The price is $17,990 per pair. The DMA-360 still outputs 300W into 8 ohms (and 533W into 4 ohms) with a peak current capability of a whopping 90 amperes." The specs for the amp also show it weighs 67 lbs. The S2 weighs 69 pounds and outputs 350/552. I made a point of purchasing this review and reading it carefully to see if they covered the S2 amp prior to my actually buying the Series 2 amps. They did not cover the 360S2, but I did buy the Spectral gear. We understand that Spectral updates gear but for Harley to state "latest version" is not the same thing as relating the factual point that they are Series 2. Also, keep in mind that RH probably had the gear on hand in summer to fall 2008. A published review would have to be sent for prepress around October-November with printing and mailing in January 2009 for a nominal February 2009 issue. The 360S2 was announced February 2009, months after when RH would have had the gear.

Based on close reading of the review I would conclude. 1) RH had gear in mid-2008. 2) Assume that Spectral does not release anything to anyone prior to their being ready. This would minimize the probability that RH had a prototype 360S2. 3) The specs indicate he reviewed the 360.

Last edited by a moderator:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Technically, we are all correct. But first of all, don't get hung up on the specs... Harley took them out of the website, which is still outdated to this day (old specs, old picture of the amp showing the original sorbothane feet and binding posts, etc) - easier to cut-and-paste than manually type from the manual. The 360, like other Spectral products, has evolved over the years silently. Practically, what Harley reviewed was the Series 2 amps before the product was finalized - and at launch the price went up, but he could only quote the then-current price - but technically it was still marked Series 1.

What I can tell you is that, for example, I would not be buying a used early version of the DMC-30SS, and I purchased a very late 30SL Gen 2 preamp for a reason :) This silent evolution of products isn't confined to Spectral either.

Hope you are enjoying your Spectral gear, and please share your thoughts. I am interested to hear your opinion on this alleged "brightish, airy, zingy" coloration in this thread...

PS: Here's another glaring error Harley made in that interview, misguided again by the outdated website, with respect to the 300SS being the first preamp to offer a remote control due to the new volume pot: "The DMC-30SS is essentially a rethinking of the implementation of the circuits in Spectral’s DMC-30 preamplifier. It is also the first Spectral preamplifier to offer remote control, made possible by a new volume control described in the technical sidebar as well as in the accompanying interview".

Last edited:

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I think we are left trying to divine the true state of things from tea leaves. I don't doubt that later versions of products are improvements over earlier versions even if they units are not given the stamp of approval with a model change. That being said your inference as to whether the 360 was an S1 or S2 or something in between is a leap of faith for someone not generally familiar with Spectral. Based on a bare reading of the text, I would choose prudence. Of course, I am a professional content analysis kind of guy so am a stickler for detail. As for Harley - one would hope that an editor (in chief) would corroborate his technical details with the people in charge themselves rather than cut and paste from an outdated website. It is poor housekeeping.

As for the comments on avguide: In the context of a full Spectral system, I would hardly describe the presentation using the terms offered there - unless you matched the gear to speakers that were previously driven by "darkish, humid, honey-syrupy" tube amps. :) My general impression is the conveyance of full range musical energy, with a "the performers are in your room, 15 feet away (the distance I sit from my speakers)" kind of sound. Very high resolution, very clear, lots of information.

I know that the mandatory use of MIT cables was what kept me from trying Spectral for a long time. Being less than enthusiastic about cables, particularly their selling price to so-called R&D, I always felt that even if the gear was reasonably priced, the add-on was a non-starter. Then I began to accept the system view and gave it a go, all-in.

Reactions: BillK

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's one way to track changes in Spectral products - the system board version. If you look at this picture of the SDR-2000 closely you will see it's marked Rev C - I used to own a Rev A. Changes may not necessarily be audibly material - they can be due to simple part changes like capacitor vendor (but of the same specs), etc., and revisions may be a simple way of tracking those immaterial changes.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I am also a Spectral fan. What I do find odd is the reluctance to communicate with the customers. In these days and ages I would think that updating a website is no longer a huge deal. This to me is irksome. Some may rationalize it I am not too sure it is good Public relation.
As an aside. The new Spectral products do not sound "thin" or sterile. When compared with the sound of the real thing these amongst the most faitful products I have had the pleasure to audition.
{Start of rant}I am finding that there is strong trend in the High End that is pulling us away from High Fidelity as in fidelity to the source , to the event .. So any gear that simply deliver the goods as is, without sugarcoating is labeled "thin", "sterile", "inorganic" .. So we see a re-birth of technologies that were proven to be intrinsically flawed amongst them idler pulleys in Turntables ... or weezer cones in speakers {end of rant} ...

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I couldn't agree with you more Frantz... Reading that avguide thread makes me now suspicious of the Soulution sound, if it is what is claimed to be. I find the latest Spectral gear to be extremely musical and faithful too.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I couldn't agree with you more Frantz... Reading that avguide thread makes me now suspicious of the Soulution sound, if it is what is claimed to be. I find the latest Spectral gear to be extremely musical and faithful too.

If I was purchasing a new amp, it would be Spectral. Period.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing