Spectacles interfere with sound quality?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think you raise a very interesting question.

I have always believed that nothing good comes from having glass in the listening room. Maybe this includes eyeglasses?
I've heard that plastic sucks too. I guess that means contact lenses are out.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Over on Audiogon a couple of years ago some folks swore that not having their cell phone in the same room made a significant difference in SQ.

Yes, I agree with this.

I have always believed that nothing good comes from having glass in the listening room. Maybe this includes eyeglasses?

A wine glass (full of course) has always seemed to improve the sound in my room :).

Reactions: montesquieu

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I will post some links to new types of iems that use bone conduction as well as typical BA cans and other dynamic types
but all we hear is effected by resonance of all types
Ron’s glass comment makes sense but he loves tubes go figure lol. tubes play our music and can be heard
transformers and caps
Even SS dac devices do
some say metal cans sound better then plastic ones
place you hands on your head
or sides of your face things change
now use iems or headphones not effected
the bone conduction works from low freq up near 10k
we don’t feel the vibrations but it effects our sound perception
when the dr place a device on back of my right ear I heard her voice clearly it was spooky
same on left
then she placed in my ear on one side and the bone conduction on my right played noise and speech. as a distraction
you would be very surprised how clear the bone sounds
links next

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
they say it’s hard to tell one from the other
oh man read this it says it’s one reason why a recording sounds different then a live sound when compared
I can hear the silence coming on this one

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Iems

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
@Pokey77, thanks for the reply. I had an old pair of John Lennon glasses (small round lenses and very thin wiry arms) that I tried. Same effect, but to a lesser degree. Now the effect was only pronounced in the front - a hardening of vocals and drums in particular. The sides seemed less/unaffected. Again, I spent much of yesterday listening to music and found myself with the specs off for the majority of the listening.

But you could be right - certainly when I place the glasses on there's the immediate distraction of something clinging to my face that might be modifying my experience, but for now I remain convinced about what I'm hearing and will continue this experiment a while longer.

The consensus so far amongst those who have tested (thanks!) is that there is no difference. But intriguingly, there are hints that others have the same recommendation - remove the specs.

I wonder whether my speakers are involved - I'm using Martin Logan electrostatics and a subwoofer in between them. The sub, in particular, will be putting a lot of pressure into the room, which the frames might be picking up and vibrating into the skull. And/or perhaps the lack of information from side wall reflections from the electrostatics is at play here, with the direct information from them being modified by the specs in a more audible way.

I would prefer it to be my imagination, as I cannot see much without my glasses, making it a bit of a hassle to have them off!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
@Pokey77, thanks for the reply. I had an old pair of John Lennon glasses (small round lenses and very thin wiry arms) that I tried. Same effect, but to a lesser degree. Now the effect was only pronounced in the front - a hardening of vocals and drums in particular. The sides seemed less/unaffected. Again, I spent much of yesterday listening to music and found myself with the specs off for the majority of the listening.

But you could be right - certainly when I place the glasses on there's the immediate distraction of something clinging to my face that might be modifying my experience, but for now I remain convinced about what I'm hearing and will continue this experiment a while longer.

The consensus so far amongst those who have tested (thanks!) is that there is no difference. But intriguingly, there are hints that others have the same recommendation - remove the specs.

I wonder whether my speakers are involved - I'm using Martin Logan electrostatics and a subwoofer in between them. The sub, in particular, will be putting a lot of pressure into the room, which the frames might be picking up and vibrating into the skull. And/or perhaps the lack of information from side wall reflections from the electrostatics is at play here, with the direct information from them being modified by the specs in a more audible way.

I would prefer it to be my imagination, as I cannot see much without my glasses, making it a bit of a hassle to have them off!
Make your glasses fit loose it’s simple
note most all are not replying to this.
ur not crazy nor anyone who uses footers or a Cantaloupe on an amp or speaker.
Our entire skull is part of what we hear by means of resonance and bone conductance.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Took this to the next level this afternoon using home cinema surround system. I found wearing the specs punched a hole in the front to rear sound transition down the left and right sides. Specs off and the sound was fully enveloping and smoothly transitioned between speakers. Specs on - holes appear. As well as the other impressions above that the front sound, in particular, takes on a harder sound.

This is ruining my enjoyment - I cannot watch home cinema without glasses! o_O

Wish I'd never noticed this effect, whether real or not! :eek::D

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have wondered why no one makes a mold to put behind your ears to modify their angle. Just bending your ears has a lot larger affect than glasses. It significantly pronounces the highs.

Reactions: rDin and wil

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
As an ophthalmologist, I can say with certainty that in nearly 40 years of practice, I have never heard of such a complaint. But to be fair, I don't think I've had any critical audiophiles as patients. Thus, your observation caught my attention.

There are 2 things that I'd ask:

1) Is the thickness of the arms of your glasses that fit between your hear and your ear different? A very slight difference in thickness may move the pinna of the ear ever so slightly, and may possibly account for the differences you hear between the old and new glass.

2) When I look at your avatar, it appears that the edge of your glass frames may actually be in the direct path of sound as it enters the outside of the ear canal from the front, particularly on your left side. I wonder, do your new glasses have perhaps more of an overlap to the entry of the ear canal from the front? (Keep in mind very people actually hold their head perfectly centered so depending on the accuracy of the picture versus reality when you listen, this effect might occur on either side).

13590.jpg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
So am I to assume all the rest of implausible and non scientific theories are ok just saying and I’m still waiting for anyone to try holding ur head or wearing a hat
lol

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I have wondered why no one makes a mold to put behind your ears to modify their angle. Just bending your ears has a lot larger affect than glasses. It significantly pronounces the highs.
So, there was a company that actually made a product to do just what you are asking back in the 80s. They used leather to extend or bend the ear forward, I forget exactly what they were doing. But one side was smooth to increase the effect and the other was rough to lessen it. Sometimes when I think a track does not have enough treble information, I'll just bend my ears forward and listen to the effect, sometimes I like it and sometimes I don't. Anyway, great thought Rex.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
So am I to assume all the rest of implausible and non scientific theories are ok just saying and I’m still waiting for anyone to try holding ur head or wearing a hat
lol
I find when I am critically listening I always tilt my head a little down. I close my eyes. I shift my body forward so my head is positioned in front of the rest of me and the chair.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I personally can't believe we are even having this discussion.

To me? Wearing glasses is akin to someone standing in front of your system, obstructing the sound. Maybe two or three people.

If you are listening to frequencies or nothing but the music? Eh? I'll give you that. Maybe not much of a change.

If you are critically listening? Wearing any type of eye wear that obstructs your own facial features is and becomes, "an obstruction".

A human ear shape can be an obstruction to sound perceived. Tile flooring can be an alteration to sound perceived. There are a PLETHORA of things that can screw up the sound stage, imaging, spatial locationality cues, along with other aspects you would never even know....until they are gone or an issue presents themself.

If one is TRULY listening for ALL aspects and they don't notice any difference in the sound? To me? Oh, dear...

If they are listening and they don't hear a difference? Count your blessing that you can't hear the difference.

If you can? Mo' money, mo' money, the right component/cable or a plan to get you to where you hear the ultimate in sound is now your goal moving forward

Tom

• Haha
Reactions: djsina2

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
Wearing glasses is akin to someone standing in front of your system, obstructing the sound. Maybe two or three people.

You're not serious, right?

Reactions: Pokey77

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

decades ago they would drink in earthen pots, maybe audiophiles should use those, take out all light bulbs, and no laptop or mobile in the room. No eyeglasses as without light they won’t be able to see even if they had them

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
As an ophthalmologist, I can say with certainty that in nearly 40 years of practice, I have never heard of such a complaint. But to be fair, I don't think I've had any critical audiophiles as patients. Thus, your observation caught my attention.

There are 2 things that I'd ask:
Marty, thanks for your interest and attention.

1) Is the thickness of the arms of your glasses that fit between your hear and your ear different? A very slight difference in thickness may move the pinna of the ear ever so slightly, and may possibly account for the differences you hear between the old and new glass.
With my finger resting gently on the side/top of the ear (near the antihelix from an image on Google?), when I push the specs into place them I can certainly feel pressure from the arms pushing the ear/finger outwards ever so slightly.

2) When I look at your avatar, it appears that the edge of your glass frames may actually be in the direct path of sound as it enters the outside of the ear canal from the front, particularly on your left side. I wonder, do your new glasses have perhaps more of an overlap to the entry of the ear canal from the front? (Keep in mind very people actually hold their head perfectly centered so depending on the accuracy of the picture versus reality when you listen, this effect might occur on either side).
This was my thought too when looking for causes. From my seating position I do feel that the frames impinge on the "light of sight" from speaker to ear. But I also tried a pair of John Lennon glasses, which wouldn't have the same effect, yet felt they also changed the sound, but by a lesser degree. So, I now wonder whether 1) above might be playing into it more, as my ear is clearly moved outwards by the arm of the specs, which might account for the majority of the hearing changes?

I do consider myself Golden Ear'd, as I'm sure many here do, having spent a lifetime critically listening to audio, chasing the minutiae in the sound, and so I trust them when I hear things, all the while being aware of cognitive biases.

Seems we now at least have some theories from bone conduction, to ear pinna changes or that I'm just crazy :)

Fascinating.

edit: Now listening again. If I put my specs on the back of my head, such that only the arms are “in play”, the sound is again affected: it becomes brighter/harder/unnatural. This is a similar effect to the one being talked about above where if you cup your ears or move them with your hands you change the sound. I think we are getting closer…

Last edited:

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
this is hereby nominated as the most stupid and meaningless thread ever worldwide
Don't know whether to be flattered or offended :p

I'd much rather ask a stupid question and then learn something, than not ask and learn nothing.

Reactions: Pokey77 and wil

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing