Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Yes this should be good. If one thing Roon isn't is far behind in develoopment.

Republicoftexas69

So far behind in development, can you clarify? I know of no other app so rich in features, information and intuitive. Sense is like Roon light and that's being generous IME...
So if you are not on the Sense platform, to wit you have to have an Innuos product how would you know????IME Sound quality in roon is tripe.

Republicoftexas69

Yes this should be good. If one thing Roon isn't is far behind in develoopment.
Yes but they are way behind in development and implementation. Hardware is weak also. YMMV, IMHO.

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
Roon did a push version upgrade on Roon Server to version 1277 this afternoon.

As it happened is was half way through a component development session, so some focused listening was happening as the upgrade came in.

Roon 1277 gave a decent uptick in SQ here.

Anyone else notice this ?
i will try cause the last upgrade 1272 ruined the sound and I HAD to come back to Just Euphony + HQPe

Thanks for the comment

Reactions: OAudio

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Roon did a push version upgrade on Roon Server to version 1277 this afternoon.

As it happened is was half way through a component development session, so some focused listening was happening as the upgrade came in.

Roon 1277 gave a decent uptick in SQ here.

Anyone else notice this ?
I have heard an uptick in some files tonight too. Qobuz - Comcast -Ethernet -Roon on Nucleus -dCS Rossini

I'm listening to Joe Pass Virtuoso 2010 Remaster right now. I listened to this last night. It’s FLAC 44.1kHz 16 bit.

I listen to this several times a month so I’m quite familiar with it. It sounded normal (quite good) last night. Tonight it sounds richer in instrument and artist detail. If you’d not mentioned the update, I’d just have attributed it to “a good night on the Comcast side of my gateway.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I’ve auditioned the Innuos Statement with Sense and as a Roon Core. If you want to hear the Statement running a Roon Core, Paragon Sight and Sound can oblige with a good demo.

What do I think? The Statement as a Roon Core is discernibly different than, say, the order of magnitude less expensive Nucleus, and appears to be more reliable and offer better support. But the Roon interface and features are more transparent and useful for my purposes.

I would not describe Roon or the Nucleus as tripe. It took a good bit of effort to get the Nucleus fully reliable here. If it had continued to be problematic, I would have sprung for the Statement. But it turned out to be unnecessary.

I run HEOS, BluOS, Mosaic Control and Roon as interfaces here, and I am familiar with the Innuos interface. My preference is Roon. I wish that Roon supported Amazon Hi Res too, but for Amazon, I use BluOS or HEOS, depending on which room I’m in.

Republicoftexas69

I'm curious, what music management SW do you feel is better from a feature, development, and implementation standpoint?
Than Roon? Oh heck even the Simaudio Mind2 is better IMO.

OAudio

Feb 7, 2020
I have heard an uptick in some files tonight too.

I am using an unusual platform which made the uptick very apparent the moment it went in, I had wondered if build 1277 would slip by un-noticed.

I'm listening to Joe Pass Virtuoso 2010 Remaster right now. I listened to this last night. It’s FLAC 44.1kHz 16 bit.

I listen to this several times a month so I’m quite familiar with it. It sounded normal (quite good) last night. Tonight it sounds richer in instrument and artist detail. If you’d not mentioned the update, I’d just have attributed it to “a good night on the Comcast side of my gateway.

Just how I would describe it too. I would also call out improvement in the pitch and weight accuracy of deep bass as well.

~Very nice DAC by the way, I'm a big fan of DCS kit and how they go about developing.

OAudio

Feb 7, 2020
Yes but they are way behind in development and implementation. Hardware is weak also. YMMV, IMHO.

I heard the Innuos Statement using their in house software at Munich a month ago, and can see why you like the sound. Sound quality is so dependant on a precise details of the marriage of hardware and playback software, that you are right to say YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Some mileage here. I have been developing hardware for a long time now, including designing and developing new components where I think they are needed. I'm using a selection of playback software packages which include Roon. Recent experience with Roon is that the latest Roon Server builds are tracking in an extremely good direction with standout SQ headroom to develop with. If course this is with the caveat that to get this it needs to be on the right platform.

I would hang onto to that Roon licence you have for sure, even if your not using it for now :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just installed 1277. Sounds a bit better to me as well...

Republicoftexas69

I am glad that people are finally finding some improved sound quality in this application and hardware.

msimanyi

Jan 13, 2023
I've seen this discussion going on here and on other forums for quite some time. On a Grimm MU1 streamer it just doesn't seem to matter, and that's an opinion shared by another MU1 user who has a far better system than mine. (Think "lots of Gryphon product"...)

That said, my MU1 streaming sounded fantastic last night. Not sure if that was due to 1277 or swapping in a different rectifier tube on my DAC a couple nights ago.

Reactions: bryans

Republicoftexas69

Everyone has an opinion and that is great. I have never used any Simaudio products so I can't comment on their products. It is funny that Simaudio products are Roon Ready. I guess Simaudio sees some value in Roon.
So is Innuos, Roon ready and a lot of others as Simaudio in not in the server business it would make sense as Roon core is very economical or inexpensive. That is not saying there are not better options or worse. Think I will move along from engaging with you. Enjoy your Roon.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
So if you are not on the Sense platform, to wit you have to have an Innuos product how would you know????IME Sound quality in roon is tripe.
I owned the Innuos Statement and have friends with Innuos products; I've used Sense many times, hence my "IME".

Also, sure, ROON sound quality isn't great, but that wasn't your topic of conversation. I use ROON with HQP, best of both worlds. ;-)

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

I owned the Innuos Statement and have friends with Innuos products; I've used Sense many times, hence my "IME".

Also, sure, ROON sound quality isn't great, but that wasn't your topic of conversation. I use ROON with HQP, best of both worlds. ;-)
Elvis has left the building. Roon is Roon, enjoy. No offence sorry for ruffling the proverbial feathers. What is HQP? IMWK
Oh never mind it is just another platform like Tidal or Qobuz. Enjoy

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
Elvis has left the building. Roon is Roon, enjoy. No offence sorry for ruffling the proverbial feathers. What is HQP? IMWK
Oh never mind it is just another platform like Tidal or Qobuz. Enjoy
Actually, it‘s nothing like Tidal or Qobuz. It is highly evolved software for upsampling and playing back digital files.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
Since I do not stream, I never update my ROON beyond 1.7 Build 511. Not any single new version sound better than that.
I’m curious how you’ve determined that 1.7 is the best sounding if you’ve never tried any of the numerous newer versions?

Reactions: MRJAZZ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing