SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Republicoftexas69

SFP+ Optical Cage makes a huge difference. I have LPS on both switches as well as my Ethernet switch.

Taking the standard SFP FMC out of the chain and replacing with the SFP+ FMC using the Finisar FCBG110SD1C01 made a big difference.
Buying direct will save you $79.00 per unit .

Cybermaggies

Nov 27, 2020
Federal Way, WA
SFP+ Optical Cage makes a huge difference. I have LPS on both switches as well as my Ethernet switch.

Taking the standard SFP FMC out of the chain and replacing with the SFP+ FMC using the Finisar FCBG110SD1C01 made a big difference.
Buying direct will save you $79.00 per unit .

Did you find the improvement immediate and or did it take some break in time?

I tried the Finisar AOC but initial impression were a loss of detail and clarity compared to my Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL sfp modules with single mode corning fiber.

Reactions: orange55

Republicoftexas69

Did you find the improvement immediate and or did it take some break in time?

I tried the Finisar AOC but initial impression were a loss of detail and clarity compared to my Finisar FTLF1324P2BTL sfp modules with single mode corning fiber.
First off a laser is really not going to need time to break or burn in. I think your issue is using a 10G transceiver with a 1G FMC or cage. Once you swapped back to a 1G SFP Transceiver with your 1G FMC your issues were resolved. BTB Finisar is using Corning fiber also.

Your FTLF1324P2BTL is also no longer produced and the EOL notification is below. So I really can not speak to the spec of that transceiver.

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
Just ordered a new SoTM switch with all the bells and whistles.

I am playing around with some SFP fiber optics on my current Zyxel , EtherREGEN switch and Lumin X1 while I wait for delivery of the new switch.
I am wondering, other than someone needing the extra internet ports, why do some here have double switches?
Thanks,
Fred

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I am wondering, other than someone needing the extra internet ports, why do some here have double switches?
Thanks,
Fred

Daisy chaining two SOtM switches, for me and many others, results in a worthwhile sonic improvement as compared to using one switch. Some are daisy chaining 3 SOtM switches. I started with one SOtM switch and found a nice improvement over the EtherRegen.

I then tried 2 SOtM switches and ditched the EtherRegen. YMMV, but if funds allow, try it and see what you think. I do this in my headphone system and in my speaker room setup, so I have 4 SOtM switches. I didn't purchase any options with my SOtM, I just went with the basic models, especially since I had to buy so many!

SOtM also recommends daisy chaining their switch for ultimate sound quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Daisy chaining two SOtM switches, for me and many others, results in a worthwhile sonic improvement as compared to using one switch.
Agreed. It was necessary for me to do so. Updating power supplies (Farad3) brought further improvements, as did adding a Melco switch, and switching over to SFP, suggesting much of the improvements are about cleaning power and not propogating noise. But I've since been able to rollback to just ONE (well, two) devices - a Senore OpticalModule feeding a Senore OpticalRendu, both powered by Farad3. This has been the game changer for me. A simple connection that outperforms my multiple switch setups. The SFP plugs themselves make or break any system, unfortunately, so you have to find the right ones.

Reactions: kennyb123

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
Daisy chaining two SOtM switches, for me and many others, results in a worthwhile sonic improvement as compared to using one switch. Some are daisy chaining 3 SOtM switches. I started with one SOtM switch and found a nice improvement over the EtherRegen.

I then tried 2 SOtM switches and ditched the EtherRegen. YMMV, but if funds allow, try it and see what you think. I do this in my headphone system and in my speaker room setup, so I have 4 SOtM switches. I didn't purchase any options with my SOtM, I just went with the basic models, especially since I had to buy so many!

SOtM also recommends daisy chaining their switch for ultimate sound quality.
Thanks, that is what I thought.
I am currently auditioning several SFP modules and optical cables with my Zyxel switch which may be a waste of time until I receive the SOtM switch.
When I receive the SOtm, I will "piggyback" it off the Zyxel switch since the Zyxel also has 2 SFP ports, which I can piggyback off my old Cisco SP308 POE switch which sends the wired signal thruout my whole house.
I did order a SOtM power supply and I can audition that too when it arrives. If it doesn't help, I can send that back.
I do plan to sell the EtherRegen when all is said and done.
I appreciate the advise.

Reactions: Blake

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Yes, SFP was an improvement for me. Currently experimenting with some different SFP modules (like rolling tubes).

Republicoftexas69

Yes, SFP was an improvement for me. Currently experimenting with some different SFP modules (like rolling tubes).
I did the same and have found the perfect (for me) combo. Remember the cage (receiver) is key also.

Reactions: Blake

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Well, interesting timing... UPS just knocked on my door, my Finisar SFP modules just arrived after a 2-month wait.

Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL

Finisar.jpg

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Look forward to hearing your feedback.

The FCBG110SD1C03 you recommended is currently installed and sounding very good. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am in the middle of some tube experiments at the moment so that is going to delay things a bit on the comparison with the newly arrived FTLX1475D3BTL.

Once I sort out the tubes, I can fix that variable, get accustomed to the sound of the system with that tube, and then start the SFP comparo.

@Republicoftexas69, if I am following correctly, do you have these same two SFP's?

Republicoftexas69

The FCBG110SD1C03 you recommended is currently installed and sounding very good. Thanks for the recommendation!

I am in the middle of some tube experiments at the moment so that is going to delay things a bit on the comparison with the newly arrived FTLX1475D3BTL.

Once I sort out the tubes, I can fix that variable, get accustomed to the sound of the system with that tube, and then start the SFP comparo.

@Republicoftexas69, if I am following correctly, do you have these same two SFP's?
I too have the FTLX1475D3BTL along with a couple other units. I know that switching to a 10G cage also made a huge sonic difference. It is fun rolling SFP's and tubes. I am in a great place with my tubes and my SFP with the 110 in place right now.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
... the improvements are about cleaning power and not propogating noise. But I've since been able to rollback to just ONE (well, two) devices - a Senore OpticalModule feeding a Senore OpticalRendu, both powered by Farad3. This has been the game changer for me. A simple connection that outperforms my multiple switch setups. The SFP plugs themselves make or break any system, unfortunately, so you have to find the right ones.
I wanted to implement this configuration: OpticalModule feeding a Senore OpticalRendu. But the OpticalRendu is sold out and I can't get an answer from either Sonore or Small Green Computer if this is still a product just out-of-stock or ???

I also agree with your SFP assessment. I worked with these very early on in my prior-retirement-IT life and not only was reliability an issue but also performance in Nishan switches.

I'm still contemplating audio switches; Ediscreation .vs. SOtM, or the simplicity of a setup similar to yours. I know I want optical because of the distance from my first floor office router to the basement listening room(approx 100ft).

All comments, observations, suggestions are welcome as I'm continually shifting gears in figuring out all the issues in setting up my first audio network and streaming system.

Reactions: rDin

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Well, I was ready to start my comparison of the FCBG110SD1C03 to my FTLX1475D3BTL, placed between my two daisy-chained SOtM switches.

FCBG110SD1C03 works awesome connecting my two SOtM switches. However, with FTLX1475D3BTL connecting my two SOtM switches, it is not working.

I am wondering if it is my CommScope cable?

CommScope.jpg

I didn't notice until now that the vendor sent me the wrong cable as this is not CommScope cable I ordered. I actually ordered Commscope FFWLCLC42-JXF003.

Instead of using the CommScope cable, I am wondering if I could connect my FTLX1475D3BTL modules with this LC-LC duplex 9/125µm Corning ClearCurve single mode bend insensitive fiber optic patch cable (which some say is sonically superior anyway):

https://www.fiberoptics4sale.com/products/x3lls1fiscz?variant=12974362329186

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
I have recently moved from FCBG110SD1C03 to the Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M SFP+ and see a big jump in performance. Running them between two SOtM switches.

The Cisco reveals more detail, the sound stage is deeper, the objects, either voices or instruments sound more 3D on the sound stage, better bass definition, there is less, quiet a bit less sibilance which adds to the realism and sucks you more into the music than the Finisar AOC.

Overall I have been very surprised at the difference between as I thought the Finisar was reference, but the Cisco in my systems is better. I have also seen post on another forums with a number of people reporting the same.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
@orange55 Thanks for the head's up on the Cisco. I haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest SFP's, but your recommendation on FCBG110SD1C03 was solid, so I went ahead and ordered the Cisco. I found a new one for cheap on Ebay from a trusted seller for just $35 shipped, so it is a no brainer to try.

I'd still like to get my FTLX1475D3BTL up and running though...

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
I have recently moved from FCBG110SD1C03 to the Cisco SFP-10G-AOC5M SFP+ and see a big jump in performance. Running them between two SOtM switches.
Concerning the Cisco cable + SFP. I am trying to identify the individual parts; what fiber is used and the SFP part number. I need a longer cable than 10m so I am trying to identify the individual pieces so I can essentially duplicate what Cisco sells as an assembled part.

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
@orange55 Thanks for the head's up on the Cisco. I haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest SFP's, but your recommendation on FCBG110SD1C03 was solid, so I went ahead and ordered the Cisco. I found a new one for cheap on Ebay from a trusted seller for just $35 shipped, so it is a no brainer to try.

I'd still like to get my FTLX1475D3BTL up and running though...
I am keen to hear your feedback on the 1475.

I also found a Cisco on eBay used for £15, which made my test a no brainier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing