Sophia 3 With Spectral DMA-260 Stereo Reference Amplifier

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I haven't Dan but suffice it to say I have always liked what they can do.. The Sophia 3s lit up the room with that amp and it was a very large room

If I ever returned to SS amps Spectral would be high on my short list

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve, What were the two Cd's you were referring to in post #11?

I didn't but here goes. Both albums are absolutely worth listening from start to finish and dont be afraid to turn up the volume

1. Johnny Adams--After Dark

This is New Orleans Blues. Turn off the lights, turn up the volume. Track 5 (Do Right) is the best of the album IMHO.

2. Hadouk Trio -- Live (import version)

The entire album is spectacular. One of the best World albums I have heard in a long time.

Both albums can be found on Amazon

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not sure however he brought two CDs to my house which were perhaps the 2 best I have heard in months, one being World Music and the other New Orleans Blues. If he doesn't comment in them , I will later. They are highly recommended

Steve,
Can I add a candidate to the third CD? Gershwin by Grofé, Steven Richman and the Harmonie Ensemble New York , HARMONIA MUNDI FR. Everyone who heard it at my house during the last months jumped to buy a copy.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Steve,
Can I add a candidate to the third CD? Gershwin by Grofé, Steven Richman and the Harmonie Ensemble New York , HARMONIA MUNDI FR. Everyone who heard it at my house during the last months jumped to buy a copy.
Ordered this yesterday. Thanks for the tip.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Steve

Slightly OT but I have the Hadouk Trio's Baldamore is that the one you are talking about? Red album? They also have another live album called "Live at the Flip".. Both albums are very good, with the Baldamore my preferred ... A workout for a full range system... Very good albums ... Highly Recommended

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is one amp that Gregadd should audition. Steve.

Overture is the by far first the best place to audition equipment in this area. Unfortunately they are no longer Wilson dealers. I'll get up there in December.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Steve,
You really should change the post name to the DMA 260 amp, not the 250.

Ron, I had no intention of doing a formal review as it was only a limited in store demo. But what a demo. The Sophia 3 and the DMA 260 are a spectacular match, and that comes from both Steve and I who have never really cottoned up to Spectral amps in the past. But this amp is something special. And we heard it with the bottom of the line MIT Shotgun interconnects and speaker cable. No need to spend more IMHO on networked cables.

There is precious little info on the DMA260. Its even hard as hell to find on the Spectral website which gets updated once every Presidential election or so. The key is:
Go to http://www.spectralaudio.com/
Go to Bulletins
Check out Bulletin 0410 on the 260

I can't wait until Keith Johnson applies the latest 260 technology to a re-do of the 360 monoblocs. That should be something and most likely a defining SOA achievement.
Marty

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
But what a demo. The Sophia 3 and the DMA 260 are a spectacular match, and that comes from both Steve and I who have never really cottoned up to Spectral amps in the past. But this amp is something special. And we heard it with the bottom of the line MIT Shotgun interconnects and speaker cable. No need to spend more IMHO on networked cables.
I was at Music Lovers today and met a nice gentleman who was upgrading from Levinson 33s to the dual monos and the Spectral pre and will be pairing them with Maxx 3s. I told him I was moving to his place.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing