Sonus Faber Aida vs Magico Q5

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks, Davey - good to know...very interesting. sometimes, stuff is just legend that gets spread round and round. In any event, i also prefer the 'original GH's to the newer models, even though i very much respect their design targets for those and where i think they have succeeded in what it appears they were focused on delivery.

As for amps, i also believe from the original 1994 review by Martin Colloms which i still have...or from someone else's review...he also used Berning which should sound pretty great from what i have been told with the GHs.

Thanks Lloyd, that's very interesting, I did not know that Franco had also used a Berning amp. That would be a HUGE improvement over the Musica, IMO. I have not heard the GH's with a Berning, but I would love to try that combo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd, that's very interesting, I did not know that Franco had also used a Berning amp. That would be a HUGE improvement over the Musica, IMO. I have not heard the GH's with a Berning, but I would love to try that combo.

In the Jan 2005 Stereophile review of the SF Strad, the author notes that Franco Serblin was using the Berning ZHZ20 70watt amp on the Strads...he also had the Krell 700 Stereo on the Strads in Ken Kessler's review.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In the Jan 2005 Stereophile review of the SF Strad, the author notes that Franco Serblin was using the Berning ZHZ20 70watt amp on the Strads...he also had the Krell 700 Stereo on the Strads in Ken Kessler's review.

Lloyd,

The first public audition of Stradivari, in the presence of Franco Serblin at the end of 2003, was carried in a system including an Accuphase DP75 CD-player, Cello Étude passive preamplifier and Krell FPB350cx amplifiers. The berning ZHZ20 amplifier is a very special tube amplifier using a very unusual topology - it can not be considered a tube amplifier in the usual accession of the general properties of tube amplifiers.

I have tried several conventional tube amplifiers (but not the ZHZ20) on the Stradivari and none could drive them adequately. It was main reason I sold them.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

The first public audition of Stradivari, in the presence of Franco Serblin at the end of 2003, was carried in a system including an Accuphase DP75 CD-player, Cello Étude passive preamplifier and Krell FPB350cx amplifiers. The berning ZHZ20 amplifier is a very special tube amplifier using a very unusual topology - it can not be considered a tube amplifier in the usual accession of the general properties of tube amplifiers.

I have tried several conventional tube amplifiers (but not the ZHZ20) on the Stradivari and none could drive them adequately. It was main reason I sold them.

That is quite funny...i ran a long thread in Audiogon yrs ago...Powerful Tube Amp for my SF Strads...and got all manner of suggestions. I considered the big Berning Quad Z monos. In the end, i elected to drop tubes and go with Gryphon Antileon and have stayed with Gryphon since. The Antileon and SF Strad went well together. It dramatically changed the bass for the better (compared with mid-powered CJ tube amp...MV60).

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That is quite funny...i ran a long thread in Audiogon yrs ago...Powerful Tube Amp for my SF Strads...and got all manner of suggestions. I considered the big Berning Quad Z monos. In the end, i elected to drop tubes and go with Gryphon Antileon and have stayed with Gryphon since. The Antileon and SF Strad went well together. It dramatically changed the bass for the better (compared with mid-powered CJ tube amp...MV60).

Having a SS amp dramatically change the bass for the better compared to a tube amp surprises who?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
[/B]

Having a SS amp dramatically change the bass for the better compared to a tube amp surprises who?

ok, ok...not me. That said, i was still surprised at how much deep bass snap the SF Strads could deliver with the right amplification.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Most people who have listened exclusively to their speakers with tube amps for a prolonged period of time would be surprised at how much more bass is there with a SS amp assuming their speakers have any real capabilities in the bottom two octaves. I know I was.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
ok, ok...not me. That said, i was still surprised at how much deep bass snap the SF Strads could deliver with the right amplification.

You are right, the MV60 was clearly underpowered to drive the Stradivari. I tried the twice as powerful MV125 - eight 6550C - and it was not enough. Only the Premier8A could drive them. They were a very difficult load. And the most critical zone was not the deep bass, but the medium zone.

BTW bass can have quantity and quality. I prefer the second option when I can not have both.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You are right, the MV60 was clearly underpowered to drive the Stradivari. I tried the twice as powerful MV125 - eight 6550C - and it was not enough. Only the Premier8A could drive them. They were a very difficult load. And the most critical zone was not the deep bass, but the medium zone.

BTW bass can have quantity and quality. I prefer the second option when I can not have both.

What true music lover/audiophile wouldn't make the same choice?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Most people who have listened exclusively to their speakers with tube amps for a prolonged period of time would be surprised at how much more bass is there with a SS amp assuming their speakers have any real capabilities in the bottom two octaves. I know I was.

+1+1+1 that's all three of me agreeing with Mep.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
I would certainly take the Aida over the Magico Q5 with the Wilson Alexia a non starter. I have lived with the Wilson Watts/Puppy in all there incarnations, MAXX, MAXX 3, Alexendra and I believe that the Wilson`s are living in past glory. Their sound has not kept up with the times and sounds dated. The new breed of manufacturers like Magico, YG Acoustics, Raidhio, big MBL`s, Sonus Aida, Rockport are way, way ahead of the Wilson`s. Wilsons were great if you were living in the year 1990. Sorry about this but it is the truth. Go for the Aida. Great speaker or the new YG Acoustic Sonja or the Magico Q 7 or the Raidho 4.1.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I would certainly take the Aida over the Magico Q5 with the Wilson Alexia a non starter. I have lived with the Wilson Watts/Puppy in all there incarnations, MAXX, MAXX 3, Alexendra and I believe that the Wilson`s are living in past glory. .

Then you are really living in the past my friend. The Alexia and XLF sound nothing like Wilson's of old. I've had previous Wilsons as well as others. I'd put the new Alexia and XLF along side the other's you mentioned and yes I've heard them. I do like the big Rockports, MBL's and SF The Alexia's replaced the big MM3's in my room and I'm glad I did.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
Hi Bruce, Do not want to get into a argument but have heard the Wilson XLF at length closely with AR Reference amps, Dan`s amps and other combinations. I yet say that the NEW Wilson sound is dated and does not hold up to the NEW breed of speaker manufacturers. I could easily have the Wilson XLF at home but would never choose to. Have nothing against Wilson as grew up with them but the world has changed and so has speaker technology. But the Wilson`s have not kept pace, if I were to put it in perspective. Have sat in plenty of listening sessions with the Wilson XLF and quiet a few with very, very, respected Manufacturers of Amplifier/Speaker/Cable and all of came to the same conclusions. Nice for an 80K speaker and not a 200K speaker. Hope you enjoy the Alexia and good luck to you. Take care.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
I would certainly take the Aida over the Magico Q5 with the Wilson Alexia a non starter. I have lived with the Wilson Watts/Puppy in all there incarnations, MAXX, MAXX 3, Alexendra and I believe that the Wilson`s are living in past glory. Their sound has not kept up with the times and sounds dated. The new breed of manufacturers like Magico, YG Acoustics, Raidhio, big MBL`s, Sonus Aida, Rockport are way, way ahead of the Wilson`s. Wilsons were great if you were living in the year 1990. Sorry about this but it is the truth. Go for the Aida. Great speaker or the new YG Acoustic Sonja or the Magico Q 7 or the Raidho 4.1.

So, what speakers do you own now?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Bruce, Do not want to get into a argument but have heard the Wilson XLF at length closely with AR Reference amps, Dan`s amps and other combinations. I yet say that the NEW Wilson sound is dated and does not hold up to the NEW breed of speaker manufacturers. I could easily have the Wilson XLF at home but would never choose to. Have nothing against Wilson as grew up with them but the world has changed and so has speaker technology. But the Wilson`s have not kept pace, if I were to put it in perspective. Have sat in plenty of listening sessions with the Wilson XLF and quiet a few with very, very, respected Manufacturers of Amplifier/Speaker/Cable and all of came to the same conclusions. Nice for an 80K speaker and not a 200K speaker. Hope you enjoy the Alexia and good luck to you. Take care.

ru for real ? LOL... Take care yourself....

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I would suspect our new poster has not heard the Alexia in his home or studio with careful set up. All speakers have their pluses and minuses for each of us as individuals. Indeed, material technologies have advanced and we now have more flavors to choose from. I believe the new Wilsons have advanced with the pace of the new companies, it's a world of flavors and preferences. The new Alexia is state of the art in my opinion as is the XLF and the last session I had with Alexandria II was simply fantastic.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
Hi Peter the forum is the place for people like us to voice our opinions and enjoy different views. I respect yours and accept the same, but I am not the "new poster" as you suggest. Yes I have heard the Alexia and yes I spend many hours with friends in the Industry (manufacturers and owners) who we all look up to as the icons of our industry. I have had the opportunity of being part of many audio products which we all talk about even today and at this moment I fortunately have 3 different products at home from different manufacturers which are yet to be released in the high end audio world and I can assure that 2 of them are path breaking. You will read about them in the near future or even have the opportunity to review them. We will surely meet sometime in the future over a bottle of nice bordeaux and share our experiences and enjoy different perspectives because finally nothing is perfect and we live in a variable world. I have high respect for you but on just one point we have different views which is fair. Life is simple.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Peter the forum is the place for people like us to voice our opinions and enjoy different views. I respect yours and accept the same, but I am not the "new poster" as you suggest. Yes I have heard the Alexia and yes I spend many hours with friends in the Industry (manufacturers and owners) who we all look up to as the icons of our industry. I have had the opportunity of being part of many audio products which we all talk about even today and at this moment I fortunately have 3 different products at home from different manufacturers which are yet to be released in the high end audio world and I can assure that 2 of them are path breaking. You will read about them in the near future or even have the opportunity to review them. We will surely meet sometime in the future over a bottle of nice bordeaux and share our experiences and enjoy different perspectives because finally nothing is perfect and we live in a variable world. I have high respect for you but on just one point we have different views which is fair. Life is simple.

are you in the industry

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
Hi Steve, I have some connections but my life revolves around a completely different industry. Very different. I have been lucky enough to have friends in the Industry since 30 years and I know the politics, so keep away and just enjoy what I like. I thought a lot before joining the forum as I knew that I would say things people may not like or want to hear. I respect everyones views and let us just have a good time by being honest and respecting everyone`s judgement and MOVE ON. Thank you for creating a forum which is well respected and I hope I can add value to it. It is only HiFi and must be enjoyed in any form.
Life is Simple.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing