Smooth vs. Ribbed Plate Tele 12ax7s

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Was wondering if anyone has done any comparison of the smooth vs. ribbed plate Teles in their gear. I've compared a variety of 12ax7s in my phono stage (Ampex, Mullard, Tele, stock new reissue Tungsol, Siemens dual post) but stopped at the rib plate Teles since they sounded so good. Should I have gone on to listen to the smooth plates?

Hi Myles:
I have compare the ribbed and smooth Tele's and many other 12ax7/5751 as input tubes for my Rogue Audio amp. This position is very sensitive to tube changes. At first I thought the ribbed plate was the superior tube--it just seems to have more detail and high end shimmer. Now I m not so sure. The rib can seem a little relentless at times, almost as if it is emphasizing the leading edge of the music . The smooth plate is, er, smoother. More even handed and flowing. Both are good tubes, but IMO (in my amp) neither is close to the best 12ax7. The good news for those who pay the high asking prices is that they are a very well made, long lasting tubes. I have collected over 2 dozen of them, and never had a weak testing one, or one with a large imbalance between the triodes. I have one old rib that was obviously abused, it has burn marks in several places but it still tests perfect. I believe these tubes have a 10,000 hour life span (at least).

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles:
I have compare the ribbed and smooth Tele's and many other 12ax7/5751 as input tubes for my Rogue Audio amp. This position is very sensitive to tube changes. At first I thought the ribbed plate was the superior tube--it just seems to have more detail and high end shimmer. Now I m not so sure. The rib can seem a little relentless at times, almost as if it is emphasizing the leading edge of the music . The smooth plate is, er, smoother. More even handed and flowing. Both are good tubes, but IMO (in my amp) neither is close to the best 12ax7. The good news for those who pay the high asking prices is that they are a very well made, long lasting tubes. I have collected over 2 dozen of them, and never had a weak testing one, or one with a large imbalance between the triodes. I have one old rib that was obviously abused, it has burn marks in several places but it still tests perfect. I believe these tubes have a 10,000 hour life span (at least).

Thanks! And welcome!

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Thank you! Interesting place you have here........

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Myles:

Big welcome

Have you tried the Holy Grail of 12AX7's

the Tele NOS ECC803S. I stopped tube rolling after that tube. A small fortune if you can find an "authentic" matched pair but good news is they'll go 10,000 hours

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Hi Steve:
No, I have never tried the Tele ECC803s. And unless I get unbelievably lucky at a hamfest someday I probably never will! This will make you feel good--some say the Tele 803 were spec to last 100,000 hours!
Best 12ax7's I have heard in my amp in no particular order:
Raytheon long black plate square getter 1950's
Raytheon long black plate round getter 1960
Valvo/Phillips I60D code short plate 45 degree tilted getter (have not tried the long plate version)--MUCH better than the common I65 "bugle boy"
Matshushita short-plate 45 degree tilted getter
Siemens long plate double getter support mc6 code
Tung Sol square getter 12ax7
Also have a soft spot for Raytheon windmill getter 5751 and Tung Sol 5751
Roll on!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Steve, have you tried them against the EAT ECC 803's? Best I've tried so far are the Ei12Ax7 gold pins for the overall.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well until you hear the Tele NOS ECC803S with the diamond insignia on the bottom with or without the gold pins you might be pleasantly surprise. I don't do any other tube rolling other than that one tube

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
803S guy myself here. Jadis (the member not the company :) ) helped me source two matched and balanced pair. I use them in my phono stage.

Jules Limon of EMT ships the PR-66 with JJ Tesla 803s. In his opinion, if you were to change tubes, the only tubes he would recommend in good conscience are the TFK originals. I can't say I disagree. My phonostage was shipped with JJ's too and they were very good. The TFKs however are in a whole 'nuther league.

Hmmm. Now I'm getting itchy to tube roll my amps. Out go the CV2492s and in go the TFK redtips tomorrow :)

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Steve, you should try some of the tubes on my list before you declare the 803 the best ever. Some people seem to think they are only slightly better than regular Tele's. I don't know, never tried the 803 but do know that high price/big rep. don't always mean the best. The tubes I mentioned are not household names like Amperex or Mullard and don't come with the big rep, but they are truly outstanding and known to the true 12ax7 connoisseurs out there.
Never hurts to try.

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
I have never heard the Telefunken ribbed 12AX7's but I own the smooth plates. From what I heard from others they almost sound alike. I like Telefunken but I prefer more warmth. I use GE five star black plate 5751's. Not quite the soundstage size of the Telefunkens but warm and musical. You have to be carefull with 5751's because they don't have as much gain as 12AX7's. A serious rival to the Telefunken 803s would be the Mullard 10M 12AX7's. If you want the 803S with more warmth the 10M might be for you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing