Skeet shooting at the Olympics

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Was just watching American Kimberly Rhode win her fifth consecutive Olympic gold medal. That was a remarkable achievement as no one has done that. But to me, what was more remarkable is how she did it. She would calmly raise the shutgun and in just a second fire off and hit the target. Apparently she did that 99 out of 100 times. No waiting to focus. No concentration and tracking of the object. Just a relaxed one or two second effort and bam! The target was gone. She is explaining that it becomes just like walking and second nature. Hard to comprehend that tracking an object can become so second nature. If I were 1/10th as good as her I would have far better pictures of birds in flight!

Amazing amount of talent being displayed at these Olympics

Watch her shoot dime:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Not picking on this woman or this sport in particular, it just served as a reminder -- is there anything that hasn't/won't eventually become an Olympic sport? It seems to me that it is way out of hand. You gotta have volleyball and beach volleyball? I saw kayaking this morning. When did that become Olympic. It was a good show; I enjoyed it, but the greeks had white water? And what's that sport where they slide this large-ish object across the ice? And what's wrong with us audioathletes? I'm waiting for Olympic tone arm set-up. Olympic room treating. Olympic synergizing....

Tim

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Not to mention that skeets are an endangered species!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I will only shoot at free-range skeets. And I try to miss. Poor things.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Easier said than done. If you know the path of the "skeet" and the spread pattern of the shell, you just wait for the skeet to enter the zone. Same thing with a bird taking flight form the ground. Of course you allow for travel time. Consitency is the hard part.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not picking on this woman or this sport in particular, it just served as a reminder -- is there anything that hasn't/won't eventually become an Olympic sport? It seems to me that it is way out of hand. You gotta have volleyball and beach volleyball? I saw kayaking this morning. When did that become Olympic. It was a good show; I enjoyed it, but the greeks had white water? And what's that sport where they slide this large-ish object across the ice? And what's wrong with us audioathletes? I'm waiting for Olympic tone arm set-up. Olympic room treating. Olympic synergizing....

Tim

Missing the days of men wrestling in loin cloths Tim? Oh sorry, they were naked. :p :D:D:D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahaha! I was a bit surprised to see BMX bicycle racing as a demo(?) sport. Then again what better time to introduce an X Games sport than the XXX Olympiad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing