Should I use Speaker Spike / Isolation Base or Something?

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Hello,

Some speakers have 4 sets of pucks (made of thermoplastic) in its bottom.

I think it would work great on hard floor.

But how about carpeted floor? Can I just put this puck foot on the carpet?

Or should I replace it with spike?

Or should I put kind of plate (Isolation Base) between the carpet and the speaker puck?

Or can I just use something like bamboo cutting board (from thin one from Ikea to 4” thick butcher board)?

What would be the best way? :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Spikes on carpeted flooring. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Tom

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I started on carpet with spikes, Then raised my speakers up by Using a 4” thick butcher block platform and spikes on the speakers into the wood plinth. It sounds better on the wood stands, but the height might have contributed to the improvements in my case..

Reactions: Sangbro

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
Spikes on carpeted flooring. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Tom

Thank you.

I have been doing some research and the results are indeed not conclusive as I thought.

Puck on carpet is a tricky business.

Sangbro

Dec 19, 2020
I started on carpet with spikes, Then raised my speakers up by Using a 4” thick butcher block platform and spikes on the speakers into the wood plinth. It sounds better on the wood stands, but the height might have contributed to the improvements in my case..
So far, if I take the spike route, it seems I need to put it down with enough height to stabilize the speaker solely on enough (2”+) height.
I think the idea behind this is separating the speaker from the floor.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
So far, if I take the spike route, it seems I need to put it down with enough height to stabilize the speaker solely on enough (2”+) height.
I think the idea behind this is separating the speaker from the floor.
my speakers are mid sized floor standers and I wanted to raise the tweeters a bit to ear level when seated. I also didn’t want the spikes to go through the carpet into the finished wood floor. Now the speakers are ground into the wood block on spikes. Spiking the speakers to the floor tighten up the bass
and grounds the vibrations to the floor.. Some decouple the vibrations or absorb. I’ve always used spikes rather than just setting them on carpet.
DCFB096F-BB8F-4A19-8F60-9E78E200F726.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing