shelby Lynne Revelation Road

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Just played Revelation Road again- to me, and i'm sure it is a matter of taste, the most powerful track is 'Woebegone,' a minor key bluesy number that goes outside the template and has a raw, powerful quality (I'm speaking here of her performance more than 'sonics' per se) that draws you in. (This often happens more in live recordings in my experience, where the artist gets inspired in the moment and reaches a new height). I need to acquire her other records.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just played Revelation Road again- to me, and i'm sure it is a matter of taste, the most powerful track is 'Woebegone,' a minor key bluesy number that goes outside the template and has a raw, powerful quality (I'm speaking here of her performance more than 'sonics' per se) that draws you in. (This often happens more in live recordings in my experience, where the artist gets inspired in the moment and reaches a new height). I need to acquire her other records.

Agree completely. BTW, seeing her live, there were times where she did get lost in the performance...you could see it and feel it...

Check out the previous album, Tears, Lies, & Alibis...a bit more laid back, but also intimate.

BTW, she recorded Revelation Road by herself in her home studio...playing all the instruments.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
She's gotten a lot better live as she's (apparently) gotten a lot more comfortable with herself. Great show last year at the City Winery in NYC.

'Just a Little Lovin' was the seeming official recording of CES 2011 -- playing in every other room. I don't think any of her other albums approach it for recording quality.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
She's gotten a lot better live as she's (apparently) gotten a lot more comfortable with herself. Great show last year at the City Winery in NYC.

'Just a Little Lovin' was the seeming official recording of CES 2011 -- playing in every other room. I don't think any of her other albums approach it for recording quality.
No doubt - that's what i meant about it being played into the ground, but for some reason, unlike Tea, Look, etc. I don't bug out hearing it- maybe I just haven't burned out on it yet. And, agreed at re Revelation Road, it is nowhere near the sonic spectacular of the 'lovin' record.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
No doubt - that's what i meant about it being played into the ground, but for some reason, unlike Tea, Look, etc. I don't bug out hearing it- maybe I just haven't burned out on it yet. And, agreed at re Revelation Road, it is nowhere near the sonic spectacular of the 'lovin' record.

I have to tell you..when I first got the CD in 2007, I thought it was another cool Shelby record. It never dawned on me in a million
years it would become an "audiophile" demo record.

I know that female vocals are generally fodder for audio show exhibits and dealer show rooms..but I always thought
they used stuff from Telarc, DeutcheGrammaphone., etc. and especially Diana Krall.

This one took me by surprise..but I started to know something was up when at CES this year I heard
it in a bunch of rooms including the MBL room.

BTW, a quick tip..check out Anoushka Shankar's last few recordings..simply stunning...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have to tell you..when I first got the CD in 2007, I thought it was another cool Shelby record. It never dawned on me in a million
years it would become an "audiophile" demo record.

I know that female vocals are generally fodder for audio show exhibits and dealer show rooms..but I always thought
they used stuff from Telarc, DeutcheGrammaphone., etc. and especially Diana Krall.

This one took me by surprise..but I started to know something was up when at CES this year I heard
it in a bunch of rooms including the MBL room.

BTW, a quick tip..check out Anoushka Shankar's last few recordings..simply stunning...
Anoushka is related to Ravi? I will.
See my other thread re Myer's Tribute to Bessie Smith. A real WoW!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Anoushka is related to Ravi? I will.
See my other thread re Myer's Tribute to Bessie Smith. A real WoW!

Yes, she is Ravi's daughter. As is Norah Jones. Anoushka actually has recorded
a few tracks with Norah.

Anoushka mixes Indian with exotica, jazz, pop, electronica, and even flamenco. Heady stuff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing