shelby Lynne Revelation Road

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm probably a little late to the party on this one, but having heard the Dusty tribute (which is an amazing record sonically as well as a set of good, spare arrangements of the songs that only Dusty could seem to do right), I decided to try a more recent record from Shelby.This one is also mixed by Al Schmitt but is standard issue vinyl. Sonically, very good, and the artist plays all the instruments. What's haunting about this-- and something i was unaware of until I read a review- was that her father killed her mother and then himself, while Shelby and her sister were in the house. She obviously has much to come to grips with and this album, while deeply personal, reaches you without maudlin sentiment. It deserves further listening. Others have heard it here, I assume?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm probably a little late to the party on this one, but having heard the Dusty tribute (which is an amazing record sonically as well as a set of good, spare arrangements of the songs that only Dusty could seem to do right), I decided to try a more recent record from Shelby.This one is also mixed by Al Schmitt but is standard issue vinyl. Sonically, very good, and the artist plays all the instruments. What's haunting about this-- and something i was unaware of until I read a review- was that her father killed her mother and then himself, while Shelby and her sister were in the house. She obviously has much to come to grips with and this album, while deeply personal, reaches you without maudlin sentiment. It deserves further listening. Others have heard it here, I assume?

I have been a huge Shelby Lynne fan since 2001, when I lived in New York, and WFUV started playing her I Am Shelby Lynne album..which was a
an amazing retro country soul effort...she left behind a few albums cut in the typical bland Nashville mold.

When Just A Little Lovin' came out it was a stunning achievement. But her albums in between
also deserve attention.

I saw here perform the Just A Little Lovin' album live in its entirety from 3 feet away. See link below
for my interview with her. The pic is mine btw, from 2008. I also saw her again with Raul Malo from
the Mavericks.

Revelation Road is a beautiful work as well. Her sister, is Alison Moorer, a great artist in her own
right, now married to Steve Earle.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/just-little-lovin-finally-gets-some-0

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have been a huge Shelby Lynne fan since 2001, when I lived in New York, and WFUV started playing her I Am Shelby Lynne album..which was a
an amazing retro country soul effort...she left behind a few albums cut in the typical bland Nashville mold.

When Just A Little Lovin' came out it was a stunning achievement. But her albums in between
also deserve attention.

I saw here perform the Just A Little Lovin' album live in its entirety from 3 feet away. See link below
for my interview with her. The pic is mine btw, from 2008. I also saw her again with Raul Malo from
the Mavericks.

Revelation Road is a beautiful work as well. Her sister, is Alison Moorer, a great artist in her own
right, now married to Steve Earle.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/just-little-lovin-finally-gets-some-0

nice, andre. i read your review (not connecting the dots that it was you) not so long ago. I would enjoy hearing her in a small-ish venue and will probably buy her other records as well.
you must have enjoyed the interviews- both her and doug sax.
best,

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Big Shelby fan here! We saw her at the Triple Door last year on her birthday...terrific solo show. Her voice is much stronger than I would have guessed from her recordings and she is a pretty fair guitarist. She talked between songs about 'family issues'. She looked damned good too ;)!

I would also highly recommend "Tears, Lies and Alibis" on vinyl. Great songs and very well recorded.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Big Shelby fan here! We saw her at the Triple Door last year on her birthday...terrific solo show. Her voice is much stronger than I would have guessed from her recordings and she is a pretty fair guitarist. She talked between songs about 'family issues'. She looked damned good too ;)!

I would also highly recommend "Tears, Lies and Alibis" on vinyl. Great songs and very well recorded.
noted, both on looking good, and on that album. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm late to the party. Just checked out amazon to hear the mp3 clips. Lovely voice and nice music. I need to hear this on my stereo...Thanks for the heads up whart !

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
nice, andre. i read your review (not connecting the dots that it was you) not so long ago. I would enjoy hearing her in a small-ish venue and will probably buy her other records as well.
you must have enjoyed the interviews- both her and doug sax.
best,

Anything she did from I Am Shelby Lynne is worth hearing..Identity Crisis, Suit Yourself...the only one you MAY not like is Love, Shelby, where tried to make an "LA Rock" album with Glen Ballard, of Alanis Morrisette fame. I like it, but many see it as a misstep.

A real great artist..nothing fabricated about her or her records.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
christian, you must buy the 'just a little lovin' on vinyl, but don't bother with the standard vinyl issue, it is simply unplayable- the surface noise is louder than the music- spring for the audiophile pressing. Aside from being a great album of covers of some of the best dusty springfield songs, the sonics are amazing- i thought everybody had already played it into the ground, but i haven't tired of it. Phil Ramone produced it, and the great Al Schmitt mixed. You will be blown away, and i rarely say that about records. My (audiophile) copy has some pre-echo but that's the only issue, and I can live with it.
Andre, I will just buy them all, except for the LA one.
I have become a fan.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
christian, you must buy the 'just a little lovin' on vinyl, but don't bother with the standard vinyl issue, it is simply unplayable- the surface noise is louder than the music- spring for the audiophile pressing. Aside from being a great album of covers of some of the best dusty springfield songs, the sonics are amazing- i thought everybody had already played it into the ground, but i haven't tired of it. Phil Ramone produced it, and the great Al Schmitt mixed. You will be blown away, and i rarely say that about records. My (audiophile) copy has some pre-echo but that's the only issue, and I can live with it.
Andre, I will just buy them all, except for the LA one.
I have become a fan.

For me it was a win win when it came out in 2007. I was a big Dusty fan and a Shelby fan.

The per echo you hear is tape print through. She left in on purpose as an homage to led zeppelin II.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Whart are the arrangements/production similar to "Just a Little Lovin'?" I love the sound of that album.

Tim

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
whart,

do you have her other album pressed by quality records ? Perhaps that is a better choice for vinyl playback ?
Shelby Lynne - Just A Little Lovin'

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/80111/Shelby_Lynne-Just_A_Little_Lovin-200_Gram_Vinyl_Record
Christian, that's the one i urged you to buy in my other post- maybe we cross-posted. The 'standard' pressing of 'just a little lovin' is an embarassment, in terms of pressing quality.
You MUST buy this record, and the pressing you identified in your link.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Whart are the arrangements/production similar to "Just a Little Lovin'?" I love the sound of that album.

Tim
Tim, in some ways, even more spare, although it is hard to compare them, given that the dusty songs are embedded in my DNA and listening to them on the Shelby Lynne record was wonderful in part, because I so didn't like the sonics of the last Dusty in Memphis reissue( 4 Guys with Beards?). (I am waiting to receive my 45 rpm version of 'Memphis'). Revelation Road is not familiar turf, compositionwise, so it is a little hard to compare. I think, based on one listen so far, it is probably a more personal, less 'pop' oriented record, with more country overtones. I'll need to listen to it more to give a meaningful comparison. but it is really a different kind of work than 'lovin.' For what it's worth, it is not an 'audiophile' pressing, just a standard one on her own label, and sounds good. Al Schmitt (who did 'lovin') mixed it. Try some of the previews on Amazon first.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, in some ways, even more spare, although it is hard to compare them, given that the dusty songs are embedded in my DNA and listening to them on the Shelby Lynne record was wonderful in part, because I so didn't like the sonics of the last Dusty in Memphis reissue( 4 Guys with Beards?). (I am waiting to receive my 45 rpm version of 'Memphis'). Revelation Road is not familiar turf, compositionwise, so it is a little hard to compare. I think, based on one listen so far, it is probably a more personal, less 'pop' oriented record, with more country overtones. I'll need to listen to it more to give a meaningful comparison. but it is really a different kind of work than 'lovin.' For what it's worth, it is not an 'audiophile' pressing, just a standard one on her own label, and sounds good. Al Schmitt (who did 'lovin') mixed it. Try some of the previews on Amazon first.

I don't think I'm likely to find a master of the original Dusty recordings that really suits me. I don't like the mixes. They've always struck me as pretty grossly over-produced (that wall of sound thing). Not that the performances are not worth it. But I really enjoy Shelby's versions for their spare, intimate feel, which is pretty much the opposite of the big production, fill-every-space Dusty versions.

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I don't think I'm likely to find a master of the original Dusty recordings that really suits me. I don't like the mixes. They've always struck me as pretty grossly over-produced (that wall of sound thing). Not that the performances are not worth it. But I really enjoy Shelby's versions for their spare, intimate feel, which is pretty much the opposite of the big production, fill-every-space Dusty versions.

Tim

Yes, one could argue some of it was over produced.

I brought this up in the interview with Lynne linked above.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

Tim

I think we are saying the same thing Tim. I love the Shelby record even more because Memphis is pretty awful sounding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing