Server vs. DAC - How you split your funds between the two?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
It is too bad people can't demo the Lucas Audio LDMS server readily. It is half the cost of Taiko and I will leave it at that. I do have a demo in the USA that can be arranged if seriously interested. For me, it was a dramatic improvement when paired to my Lampi Pacific and Horizon.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Rave review of new Melco server/streamer:

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I must be one of the extremes: with a 98.6% to the DAC (Nagra TUBE DAC + PSU at 50k msrp) and 1.4% for the server (a $700 Intel NUC -- Roon rock).
I don't stream, only audio files.

My NUC beat a CEC TL5 transport and an Aurender N200.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I must be one of the extremes: with a 98.6% to the DAC (Nagra TUBE DAC + PSU at 50k msrp) and 1.4% for the server (a $700 Intel NUC -- Roon rock).
I don't stream, only audio files.

My NUC beat a CEC TL5 transport and an Aurender N200.
Does your NUC use an LPS or switch power supply?

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Switch so far. Am looking to power it with my Nagra PSU but just haven't been able to source a Lema to DC barrel adapter to make that happen.

So just a minor edit, the NUC didn't beat the CEC, but it matched up to it -- much to my surprise. I sold the CEC.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
So, how would you split your funds between your source and DAC to maximize results, is there any rule of thumb the forum members act by?
So I may be an extreme case. My DAC : server (incl the LPS) price ratio is 31:1 in other words, the budgetary split is 97% - 3%

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
So I may be an extreme case. My DAC : server (incl the LPS) price ratio is 31:1 in other words, the budgetary split is 97% - 3%
Did you try using different types of servers?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Did you try using different types of servers?
I only listened to two very convincing servers at the time: LDMS and the MusiCHi.
Please note that I did not choose my lowly machine for sonic reasons, I just couldn't afford a dedicated server back then
It's only now that I am looking into the matter...

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I only listened to two very convincing servers at the time: LDMS and the MusiCHi.
Please note that I did not choose my lowly machine for sonic reasons, I just couldn't afford a dedicated server back then
Thank you for the answer, indeed some audiophile servers can have a steep price.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
For those who have already conducted this experiment, what percentage increase would you ascribe to the lower noise digital transport? 1-2%,? 2-5%? 5-10%? More than 10%? Is this improvement evident on every single recording?
I went from a Mac mini to Innuos Zenith mk3 w/ reclocker and found slight improvement, say 10% so my findings at this point are similar to yours.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
My digital is 20% the Streamer and 80% the DAC.

almsthere

Sep 28, 2015
MANITOBA CANADA
Could you re-iterate the contribution made by servers and DACs relative to the digital music file, room acoustics, amps, cables and speakers? Just to put perspective on this thread. Especially when we’re talking about big $$$ for Wadax, Taiko etc.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Could you re-iterate the contribution made by servers and DACs relative to the digital music file, room acoustics, amps, cables and speakers? Just to put perspective on this thread. Especially when we’re talking about big $$$ for Wadax, Taiko etc.
I don't know about budget allocation but the source file followed by the source are 1 and 2 in order of importance.

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I am kind of in the same boat, it seems it would cost me 10K+ to better my NUC, I am not ready to outlay that cash yet while I have some bigger-bang-for-the-bucks improvements queued up.

Conde

Jun 29, 2013
Pasadena, CA
100% DAC, 0% server. I use a CD transport to play CDs, I stream everything else. The calculations change when considering usage of an audiophile grade network switch. The DAC has a network card. JPlay is used to access Qobuz. The Ansuz switch provides a beneficial sonic improvement for streaming. For that 75% DAC, 25% switch.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
If you be the source is the critical link, then I see no-reason for allocating budget on server, just like in analog, the turntable is usually the expensive part in the chain.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
100% DAC, 0% server. I use a CD transport to play CDs, I stream everything else. The calculations change when considering usage of an audiophile grade network switch. The DAC has a network card. JPlay is used to access Qobuz. The Ansuz switch provides a beneficial sonic improvement for streaming. For that 75% DAC, 25% switch.
When I stream directly to the dac using Ethernet, or whenever I’m streaming from the melco server there is different in the sound, the latter being better.

Conde

Jun 29, 2013
Pasadena, CA
When I stream directly to the dac using Ethernet, or whenever I’m streaming from the melco server there is different in the sound, the latter being better.
Streaming going through a quality switch is also better than going straight to the DAC. Check out Ansuz switches. Streaming through quality switches can also exceed the performance of streaming through servers. Depends on the switch, depends on the server. I was trying to make the point that it can be beneficial to allocate a significant amount to a quality audiophile switch.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Streaming going through a quality switch is also better than going straight to the DAC. Check out Ansuz switches. Streaming through quality switches can also exceed the performance of streaming through servers. Depends on the switch, depends on the server. I was trying to make the point that it can be beneficial to allocate a significant amount to a quality audiophile switch.
I use SOtM switch with LPS on my system, connected to the router via FC and Ethernet to my MSB DAC, and Melco server.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing