Scientific Assessment of Beauty?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tara Leary chosen from 8,000 applicants based on scientifically derived criteria

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/05/10/a-look-at-the-uks-most-beautiful-face?videoId=234790523

Is beauty in perfection or imperfection? Your thoughts?

I do think she is beautiful for sure but not as beautiful as this UK beauty in her prime.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Jack. I think that beauty is perfection with imperfection. Science in this case, did narrow down to a beautiful woman though. At least in my mind.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think I'm with you on that Tom. Somehow it's the little imperfections that make something of beauty more memorable to me. :)

I guess that's why I never got on the ultra fidelity bandwagon. LOL.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When I was in ART school, we learned that a perfect woman face must have all the required criterias: perfect size nose, mouth, eyes' separation, ...everything must be perfectly proportioned; cheekbones & all that Jazz.

There are several women who fit these criterias; I think Sophia Loren (when she was younger) was one of them.

We're talking millimeters here.

* And same with man and woman entire bodies. Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci were big on human anatomy.

** Tara Leary, she seams to fit the bill to a teeth. :b

*** Interesting topic, Jack! :cool:

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
My 2 cents...

I think that is easier to be attracted by a perfectly proportioned face. Examples? Megan Fox, Monica Bellucci, Bar Refaeli...

But if you're hit by a beauty which is not that perfect, you may feel more attracted. From my perspective, this is the case if I compare the stunning girls I mentioned above with Scarlett Johansson :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

This is beauty to me. Some of you may know her. When she talks in her native language, I melt. Other women have beauty from top to bottom as well. However, as soon as they talk the beauty goes to the wayside. It can be that or their actions. Beauty is not only on the outside but on the inside as well. At least it is in my own world. YMMV.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Many years ago, I designed a loudspeaker with the hip-waist proportions of women I found attractive. I downloaded every picture I could find, and modeled it after tons of measurements. Many iterations later, this was the result.

G3 rear 3qtr smal&#.jpg

Some of the dealers who saw and touched the actual speaker said that it reminded them of J.Lo. It wasn't.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Perfection with imperfections. That's about as good as it gets in my book. It's the unique imperfections that rock my world and defines beauty. At least IMO.

:)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gary,

I would never do a DBT in Bangkok. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Richard Burton complained Liz had short legs. Some guys are just to darned hard to please!

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
This reminds me of any number of audio discussions.
Tara Leary is objectively beautiful, her measurements are pretty close to perfect but her audio presentation leaves me cold

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
"The ugly may be beautiful; the pretty, never." -Paul Gauguin

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Another highly subjective topic (defining beauty) - just like Hi-End audio (you guys have a tendency to fall back with the same stone in the road) :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing