Schiit Urd CD transport with USB

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
What is not quite clear if the USB input gets reclocked on its way to the Unison USB output, so does the USB output sound better than the USB input?

Matt

Republicoftexas69

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
expect that would depend on what is feeding the USB input.
Two simple set-ups with music from streaming services:
1.) Macbook > Yggdrasil
2.) Macbook > Urd > Yggdrasil
If there is a difference, which one is better sounding?

Matt

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Two simple set-ups with music from streaming services:
1.) Macbook > Yggdrasil
2.) Macbook > Urd > Yggdrasil
If there is a difference, which one is better sounding?

Matt
My history with decades of analog gear says that usually fewer components is better but I can no longer say that in the era of network audio. Adding digital or network gear can improve the bits.

As I said above though, I believe results will depend on what you are using to feed the USB input. Using a MacBook as a source is not the same as using a Taiko Extreme as a source. I have some iFi Audio USB treatment devices that work wonders with my Raspberry Pi, Dell laptop, and Chromecast Audio, but compromise the sound when used with my SOtM renderer. I expect the same principle will apply with the Urd as a USB processor. It may help, it may hurt, depending on the user's system.

A great and unique solution for some, no doubt. I look forward to reading the reviews.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I am very curious about the first listening impressions. :cool:

Matt

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I tested a prior iteration of the USB Unison hub
boards but with a different computer than I am using now. Playing through the hub did sound a bit better. I have not yet heard the URD in its final form.: after having just ordered a new pre amp from Steve McCormack, the URD is not in the cards for this year,

Reactions: matthias

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Has anyone heard it with the SPDIF?
How does it compare to a Jays Audio Lab CDT3 MK3 transport

Reactions: Audio 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing