Schiit, interesting name...more interesting products!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ha great question Lloyd, I'm not sure there's any point because the original signal got small bits trimmed off it when it was digitized. Dither smooths over that truncation but information is almost always lost unless the signal had a high noise floor to begin with. So all we have to work with in digital is the 16bits coming from the front-end ADC. Digital is always going to be an approximation, calculus assumes the use of real numbers but digital is limited to integers (even when floating point is used the mantissa's still an integer, 24bits for single, 48 for double never a real). We can of course extend the precision as far as we want (or can afford) but integers will never attain the precision achievable with reals, just forever approach closer and closer.

Got it! Thank you...yes, that makes sense. The math applied to the D-to-A would be the same as the A-to-D...so we are ALREADY talking about approximation on the way IN from the original music being recorded, then processed. the way OUT is basically the reverse using the same math. Great to learn!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's the interesting thing...I have it on good authority that the Schiit gear makes a lot of other gear sound like s....t!:D:D

Well, of course; my comment was meant to provoke thoughts that perhaps the founders just don't understand marketing. I just read the review and it sounds like it's a great DAC, I hope Al gets to audition it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well, of course; my comment was meant to provoke thoughts that perhaps the founders just don't understand marketing. I just read the review and it sounds like it's a great DAC, I hope Al gets to audition it.

Agreed, like i said in my OP, the name for the company is definitely NOT one I would have chosen. Nonetheless, I have heard some who feel it is a clever ploy, and apparently it doesn't seem to be hurting them ( Schiit). I would still consider changing the name if it were my company, but if it works...???

When they come out with their well expected new amp design....apparently putting out 100 watts/ch in AB and with some somewhat innovative tech, at a price that is way sub $1K....this could be a game changer. The new Fraya preamp is already well received and the Yaggi gets good press.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
a lot of my pals use their products and are thrilled with SQ , vfm and the name...
I think its brilliant marketing ..not offensive to me at all..attention getting , punny and so on

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Well, of course; my comment was meant to provoke thoughts that perhaps the founders just don't understand marketing.

Or perhaps they really do. They said in an interview that they sell about 1000 units of the Modi DAC ($ 100) per month, that's ca. $ 100 K revenue right there -- per month! And that's just one product. So maybe it is, like Rodney suggests, brilliant marketing.

I just read the review and it sounds like it's a great DAC,

I got the impression too, from this and several other reviews, and they seem to know what they are doing in terms of technology.

This interview with Mike Moffat is also interesting:

http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/stereophile-10-1992-Theta-Moffat-Harley.html

I hope Al gets to audition it.

The proof is in the listening, indeed.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I like their name.

I was disappointed how poorly their DAC measured though.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
A bunch of guys and gals having fun making good sounding affordable products in the country they live in!
Sounds like a dream job to me.
What ever it takes to bring people into the insane asylum.
The name thing makes me smile.
Plus they are Sci-Fi geeks and that is awesome.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I like their name.

I was disappointed how poorly their DAC measured though.

To me it (Yggy) sounded as dry as a midsummers day in the Sahara.

I quite like the name...no pub is bad pub and my interpretation i more like ..."this gear is da schist", kinda thing.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
To me it (Yggy) sounded as dry as a midsummers day in the Sahara.

I quite like the name...no pub is bad pub and my interpretation i more like ..."this get is da schist", kinda thing.

Interesting:confused:. I had not heard this opinion before on the Yggy. Instead, I had heard that it was a serious contender...along with the new Bryston BDA 3 for top DAC at almost any price!! What ancillary gear was used when you heard the Yggy?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I remember Amir posting here some measurements about one he tried out for his kid and he was less than thrilled.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I remember Amir posting here some measurements about one he tried out for his kid and he was less than thrilled.

JA's measurements in the Stereophile review would indicate that there is indeed a problem. However, we all know that there are some pieces that sound good, yet measure poorly. ( SET's usually come to mind here). OTOH, perhaps in this instance...and since we are talking of a digital product, perhaps the measurements tell the true story. I'm not going to know until I have the opportunity to listen for myself. Which is probably the best advice for all of us...
Luckily, with Schiit, they allow you to listen first before truly committing. A big thumbs up to them, IMO.:cool:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

That was an entry model, not the Yggdrasil.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Interesting:confused:. I had not heard this opinion before on the Yggy. Instead, I had heard that it was a serious contender...along with the new Bryston BDA 3 for top DAC at almost any price!! What ancillary gear was used when you heard the Yggy?

All top class. Evol acoustics speakers in an extremely well designed pupose built room. Cant recall the amps. Totally tweaked for neutrality.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
The amps are the top Spectral Amp as well as the pre amp as I was there with Norman and frequent the room often as the owner is a good friend. We have evaluated a ton of DACs there. The Yggy is still in the lead. It is really interesting to hear the differences in DACs when the room is totally taken out of the equation.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
The amps are the top Spectral Amp as well as the pre amp as I was there with Norman and frequent the room often as the owner is a good friend. We have evaluated a ton of DACs there. The Yggy is still in the lead. It is really interesting to hear the differences in DACs when the room is totally taken out of the equation.

Joe,

This interesting. Please list those systems specs and the other DACS you have evaluated? Berkely , Meitner, EMM ... by any chance?

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Berkeley, PS Audio, Halo, Gustard ( fully modified), Teac. I am sure there may be a few others but these are all that I recall. With PCM, the Yggy was clearly the best, or what we preferred if you will. The Gustard had the best DSD performance but I found it to be too smooth on DSD, too soft. The Yggy sounded preferable on the same DSD files played as 176.4 PCM. I can see why some love DSD but when the system is as neutral as this one is, PCM is more line the real thing to these ears. And yes, the Gustard is set up to play quad DSD.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Berkeley, PS Audio, Halo, Gustard ( fully modified), Teac. I am sure there may be a few others but these are all that I recall. With PCM, the Yggy was clearly the best, or what we preferred if you will.

Interesting, Joe. I would hope that I come to the same conclusion, that the Yggy beats my Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC. I hope for more resolution, and for better sax sound (I know that it can be had from top digital, even though it is a weak point of much digital). Strange though, sax seems to sound better now that I have finally cleaned my cable contacts last night ...

The Gustard had the best DSD performance but I found it to be too smooth on DSD, too soft. The Yggy sounded preferable on the same DSD files played as 176.4 PCM. I can see why some love DSD but when the system is as neutral as this one is, PCM is more line the real thing to these ears.

Live music mostly sounds incisive, and PCM represents that incisiveness well to me. I can't stand 'smooth' sound even though some may find it pleasant. So I can understand when you say PCM is more line the real thing to your ears. Interesting that you find these characteristics of being too soft and smooth in that DSD sound, this must be the umpteeth time that I have heard such a complaint about DSD, so you are not alone.

I used to have similar complaints about analog, until I heard top vinyl -- with all the incisiveness that I was looking for.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Interesting, Joe. I would hope that I come to the same conclusion, that the Yggy beats my Berkeley Alpha 2 DAC. I hope for more resolution, and for better sax sound (I know that it can be had from digital). Strange though, sax seems to sound better now that I have finally cleaned my cable contacts last night ...

Live music mostly sounds incisive, and PCM represents that incisiveness well to me. I can't stand 'smooth' sound even though some may find it pleasant. So I can understand when you say PCM is more line the real thing to your ears. Interesting that you find these characteristics of being too soft and smooth in that DSD sound, this must be the umpteeth time that I have heard such a complaint about DSD, so you are not alone.

I used to have similar complaints about analog, until I heard top vinyl -- with all the incisiveness that I was looking for.

Please let us know if when and if you compare the Yggy to the Berkely Alpha 2. These are two DACs I'm considering but, with the Schiit you do need a linestage.

Joe,

Were you using USB input on these DACS? How were testing them? With regards to your input and conneted to what linestage? I assumed you didn't connect directly to the amplifiers as the Schiit needs a pre amp.

Thanks

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Some are with USB, AES and i2s and a combination thereof, all into the Spectral pre amp. The Yggy is run exclusively with AES with the balanced outputs to the pre amp. Where possible, balanced is used. I find the balanced outs on my Gumby to sound better than the single ended, even though I am using a converter as my pre doesn't have balanced inputs. The same for the Yggy, even with the level differences taken into consideration.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Yes, a really cool room and a lovely host. No complaints there whatsoever.

I had the fortune of going there twice and in between went to NYC to visit another Buddy who was in the process of setting up his infinity IRS V system (with Aragon amps and Lampi Big & Dac and fully tweaked out hand built server with top quality parts (BoM was like 4K)). I used the same playlist and preferred the NYC setup on 80-90% of the tracks. Much more liquid and to my taste. The system was a bit different when we switched from Yggy to the DS Junior Dac.I expected more from the Yggy, given all the online buzz, but the Hugo was the same disapopointment. The Chord Dave did not disappoint in my brief demo though.

Oh, and BTW I have heard the Evol Acoustics speakers several times before, so that was not new to me (I really like them) so if not the Yggy, it was the Spectral (or that combo) that left me asking for a glass of water. LoL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing