Samsung Galaxy S IV Specs Begin To Leak

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
Great article Steve. Samsung will use the green AMOLED for the first time in it's display. it had the red AMOLED in the galaxy for a while--the display should look " to the eyes" way more pleasant then any phone on the market--and with all those pixels in the camera -who someday will need an SLR camera?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Cheap point and shoots are already circling the drain. Sales #s way down. It's partly why we're seeing a renaissance of 'enthusiast' small cams as the non-enthusiast market for small cams has evaporated.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
and with all those pixels in the camera -who someday will need an SLR camera?

Megapixels do not matter!

Camera makers keep touting megapixels as if it is the most important specification. It is not. I actually prefer my camera to have fewer megapixel thingies. There are numerous advantages that come with fewer megapixels - the main one being, each pixel is larger and so can gather more light. More light = cleaner images and better sensitivity in low light. Files are smaller, so you won't have to upgrade your storage so quickly. Also, for those who forget to resize their images before emailing - you won't be sending 4-5 megabyte emails and clogging up your phone's bandwidth and eating up data charges.

Where megapixels do matter is when you are blowing things up for print, but I doubt if any smartphone user will be doing that. Also, a higher res image gives you more leeway for cropping ... however, why bother cropping when all you are doing is magnifying a dirty image?

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.
Megapixels do not matter!

Camera makers keep touting megapixels as if it is the most important specification. It is not. I actually prefer my camera to have fewer megapixel thingies. There are numerous advantages that come with fewer megapixels - the main one being, each pixel is larger and so can gather more light. More light = cleaner images and better sensitivity in low light. Files are smaller, so you won't have to upgrade your storage so quickly. Also, for those who forget to resize their images before emailing - you won't be sending 4-5 megabyte emails and clogging up your phone's bandwidth and eating up data charges.

Where megapixels do matter is when you are blowing things up for print, but I doubt if any smartphone user will be doing that. Also, a higher res image gives you more leeway for cropping ... however, why bother cropping when all you are doing is magnifying a dirty image?

your right KEITH
pro photographers are using them for pro settings: magazines, billboards, television. But the naked eye can't tell the difference between 8MP and 100MP if you're printing on anything smaller than legal pad-size, or posting to your Facebook wall, or sending as an email attachment.
CHEERS

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Any photographer will tell you that lens are far more important than MP. That is why DSLRs will always give a you better quality image.

BTW - will the mk IV improve on the build quality compared to mk III ? To me, the level of quality of samsung phones is just unacceptable.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
So far early rumours indicate that it will be plastic, just like the S3. Some of the rumours are quite intriguing ... e.g. a quad core Exynos processor that is said to blow all current phones out of the water, and eye based scrolling.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Any photographer will tell you that lens are far more important than MP. That is why DSLRs will always give a you better quality image.

Yes there are some obvious parallels here between DACs and cameras. People tend to buy on number of bits, and megapixels respectively. Bits and megapixels are cheap to add and easier to tout.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I wonder, how many S3 users would say that what they want in their S4 is a faster processor ?

IMO this is not what makes phone great. Samsung seems to compensate with the dazzling processor numbers for the lack of real innovation in their phones and poorer user experience compared to iPhones (which seems to be their primary competing product / target).

PS. Pls do not label me an Apple fanboy. I've been using Nokia phons all my life, and never had an iPhone or a Mac. I'm just an observer.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes there are some obvious parallels here between DACs and cameras. People tend to buy on number of bits, and megapixels respectively. Bits and megapixels are cheap to add and easier to tout.

+1

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I wonder, how many S3 users would say that what they want in their S4 is a faster processor ?

I doubt most of them care - I'm considering my next phone and I don't give a sh*t, but I do want responsiveness. Perhaps a faster processor will give that, but perhaps it won't. One thing a faster processor won't give is longer battery life and I definitely want that.

IMO this is not what makes phone great. Samsung seems to compensate with the dazzling processor numbers for the lack of real innovation in their phones and poorer user experience compared to iPhones (which seems to be their primary competing product / target).

Samsung to me seem to be offering much better eye-candy appeal than Apple now. Just a quick straw poll amongst my associates confirms that they are also not thinking that Apple's the leader any longer. I've never used Apple, never will because I don't buy into all the nannying inherent in the 'walled garden' approach, but Samsung does indeed look very appealing with bigger screens for my failing eyesight.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Apart from a bigger screen (which has as many advantages as disadvantages) I do not really see anything appealing in Samsung phones.

To me (unlike Nokia or Sony which have their own unique design) they have been copycating apple products for years, giving poorer build quality and user experience.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com

Lack of innovation in Samsung phones? Now, if you made this claim against a dozen other Android manufacturers, e.g. LG, Sony, HTC, Motorola, ZTE, Huawei, etc. I might be inclined to agree with you. But certainly not Samsung - they are by far the most innovative of all Android manufacturers, and indeed probably more innovative than Apple. Over and above standard Android, which is arguably a better experience than iOS, Samsung offers the following software tweaks:

- the phone knows you are looking at it and won't turn itself off as long as the front camera can see your eyes
- pen and stylus support on some models
- ability to run windowed apps on some models
- touching two Samsung phones together allows you to share information between them, e.g. contacts, playlist, photos, movies, apps, etc.

Also, let us not forget that with the exception of the OS, the entire phone is designed and manufactured by Samsung. Screen, CPU, battery, RAM, everything. There is no other manufacturer out there that can boast that.

They are the flagship Android manufacturer for very good reasons.

Note: I don't own a Samsung. Never have.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
HTC One wins best new handset in Barcelona this year. So will the new Galaxy cut this phone's reign short?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Lack of innovation in Samsung phones? Now, if you made this claim against a dozen other Android manufacturers, e.g. LG, Sony, HTC, Motorola, ZTE, Huawei, etc.

By innovation I mean coming up with a completely new product, that completely changes the market or reinvents the market.

For me innovation (on apple part) was:

- introducing the first PC computer
- introducing windows based operating system (as opposed to command line based OS that all computer used before the origonal MacIntosh was launched in 80's; subsequently Microsoft copied their design, starting with Windows 1.0)
- introducing iPod
- introducing iTunes
- introducing iPhone, which singlehandidly revolutionised the smartphone market (with lots of new groundbreaking technologies like multitouch & gestures, like swipe to open, pinch to zoom etc, G-sensors, sensor that switched the display off sensing the proximity to ear etc)
- introducing Apps Store
- intoducing iPad

I'm sure there were more, but I'm not an expert on Apple product and technologies (the only product I have ever owned from Apple is iPad). As for samsung - I do not see any innovations of this calibre. Only minor products improvements. To me Samsung have only mastered making excellent me-too products.

Other Android phone manufactures are also here to blame, but at least some of them came with their own fresh designs (Nokia, Sony, Motorola). Samsung, HTC, ZTE, Hauwei on the other hand, are just copycating someone else design, primarely Apple, but not only - HTC recently copied the Nokia design on their new smartphones, which made Nokia went ballistic.

I know that there are ppl who are OK with that, especially in Asia, where intelectual design / graphic design doesn't have that much of a value. Hell - in China you can even buy a fake BMW X5 ! I'm just not this kind of person, and that is why I will never buy a single product from one of those companies.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I don't see iPod as primarily an Apple innovation myself. I had (still have) a Creative Nomad Jukebox - OK its clunky and no scroll wheel and not entirely pocketable with poor battery life but its not 'innovation' to fix up those details as technology improves. iPod was a 'me too' variant of the Jukebox - a better user interface sure, but nothing particularly innovative apart from the scroll wheel. I hand it to Apple for the innovation of integration of iPod and iTunes though, that was something no other mp3 player manufacturer managed.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
HTC One wins best new handset in Barcelona this year. So will the new Galaxy cut this phone's reign short?

The screen on that thing is simply gorgeous. First screen on any phone that rivals my iPhone 5. Everything else there (Barcelona) sucked.
LG had a nice one, but their add-on UI is atrocious (like Samsung, btw).

alexandre

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Elberoth,

I can see from your posts that we think alike.
Now, as opus delineated above, there's a whole segment of people that sees Apple as the copycat, funnily enough.
As you put very clearly, Apple is the one doing the real improvemets to the industry. It's hilarious that Keith goes and lists "pen input" as a major advancement that Samsung did. Perhaps he doesn't remember the Newton, an Apple invention, from what, 20 years ago?
Whether we can really call Apple's improvements "inventions", it's up for debate, and I'll grant the naysayers that most recently Apple has simply taken what's out there and made the definitive statement in that segment. Hence, laptops (MacBook Air, see how everybody's copying it), phones, tablets, music players, etc.
Sure, Apple did not create the music player segment, but iPod is practically synonimous with that! And only recently, though some major marketing muscle, the term "tablet" has been gaining momentum. Otherwise, it's "iPad".
Again, App Stores. Nokia had theirs, long time ago. Nobody came. Apple put one up, billions of downloads.
A lot of these products still ARE their market leaders, simply because no one could improve on them. See any iPod killers out there? I don't see any...

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing