Samsung’s iPhone 6 nightmare is getting even worse

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Chris Smith, BGR

Despite having to fight against a new iPhone each year, Samsung was surprised to see Apple’s record iPhone 6 launch in past weeks and had to move up its Galaxy Note 4 launch in South Korea and China as a result. But that might not be enough to keep customers from buying the iPhone 6 like hot cakes, especially in China, where a recent estimate revealed that more than 2 million people reserved a new iPhone in the first six hours following Apple’s official iPhone 6 announcement from the region

Now, a second report from the region says that iPhone 6 reservations have now topped 4 million units, even though the official iPhone 6 preorder date isn’t until October 10th.

Chinese online publication Tencent says that some 4 million customers have already reserved their iPhone 6 handsets with local mobile operators and other retailers. The publication even offers specific numbers for a particular retailer, which said that 1,106,379 people reserved the iPhone 6, and 1,189,083 went for the bigger iPhone 6 Plus model, suggesting the phablet version is slightly more popular than the 4.7-inch version.

Interestingly, a questionable report from Digitimes suggested that Apple might have ordered more iPhone 6 Plus units than iPhone 6 models from its suppliers.

While it’s not clear whether all these reservations will convert to actual purchases, the number is not that surprising. Apple announced it sold 10 million combined iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units during the first weekend, with China left out of the first iPhone 6 wave. Comparatively, in 2013 Apple sold 9 million iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c units, during launch, with 2.75 million of them being sold in China.

Meanwhile, Samsung has sold out its initial Galaxy Note 4 stock in South Korea, although reports suggested it might have had just 30,000 units on hand, and numbers for China haven’t been mentioned. Samsung will start selling the phone in other markets on October 10th (when actual iPhone 6 preorders start in China), with the U.S. getting it on October 17th (when the iPhone 6 launches in China).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I wonder where all the "APPLE IS DOOMED" folks are right now...

alexandre

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now you guys experience what we have been enjoying in Android land with our larger phones. Welcome to the club! :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Now you guys experience what we have been enjoying in Android land with our larger phones. Welcome to the club! :D

:)

Must say that Apple is close to a religion. When they had the small screens the Apple-ists would tell you that they found that to be the right size, when god-Apple was forced to come with a larger phone then ...

As for the camera the best IMO remains that of the S5, so is its screen too. As for me, I am debating between the HTC One M8, the HTC One Eye (the one with the 13 MP camera if and when it comes to the US) and the iPhone 6+

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Must say that Apple is close to a religion. When they had the small screens the Apple-ists would tell you that they found that to be the right size, when god-Apple was forced to come with a larger phone then ...

As for the camera the best IMO remains that of the S5, so is its screen too. As for me, I am debating between the HTC One M8, the HTC One Eye (the one with the 13 MP camera if and when it comes to the US) and the iPhone 6+

I'm giving my wife my 6 and bought a 6+

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Being a golfer I was close to pulling the trigger on the Sony android phone with the slow motion camera. Then I learned it (although I believe lower frame rate) is available on the 6s. Looks like a 6 for me. I would have had to buy the Sony. I can get the 6 on points from my carrier.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!

Must say that Apple is close to a religion.

Apple's products are great but nowhere near as great as their marketing. They have this ability to create an image of life with their devices that is quite compelling apparently - that somehow life will not be complete without owning their stuff.

In my case, since I have iPads, iMacs, Macbooks, and iPhones, I'm not prepared to give up the automatic data sharing and compatability that comes with those products. If Samsung wants my phone or tablet business, they need to solve that for me.

It is this same kind of approach that made IBM so impenetrable in the 60's and 70's (I worked for one of their competitors during that time).

I will upgrade to the 6 or 6+ in December when I am allowed to do so with no penallty.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing