Sam Telling (Tom Gillett) causing quite a stir for Stereophile

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
With all due respect, Marc, that is not correct. You wrote "Writing for stereophile is no way to get rich. They have lost a lot of talent over the years and more recently because they pay dick...Many of the writers at Stereophile are independently wealthy or are well heeled maintain [their] position there as a vanity gig."

These are not Sam Telig's words, but your own, presented as fact in post306419. As you then went on to write in the same message:

I have no objections to anyone expressing their opinions of Stereophile, of me, or of Sam Tellig's resignation. But i do object to people presenting what they describe as facts when they actually have no way on knowing what they claim to know.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
That is the thing John, you don't know what I know.

With that I will make no more comments about the magazine except for publicly known information.

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010
John Atkinson said:
have no objections to anyone expressing their opinions of Stereophile, of me, or of Sam Tellig's resignation. But i do object to people presenting what they describe as facts when they actually have no way on knowing what they claim to know.

That is the thing John, you don't know what I know.

True, except that in the case of Stereophile's internal finances and such matters as how much I pay the magazine's contributors, you don't have a clue.

With that I will make no more comments about the magazine except for publicly known information.

Good idea. But one that happened too late. I regret to inform you that you failed the audition to be Sam Tellig's replacement :)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
True, except that in the case of Stereophile's internal finances and such matters as how much I pay the magazine's contributors, you don't have a clue.

Good idea. But one that happened too late. I regret to inform you that you failed the audition to be Sam Tellig's replacement :)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile
Ok.

"I regret to inform you that you failed the audition to be Sam Tellig's replacement :)"

:D Yes, and even if I was up to the task, I am about 35 years too young!.:D

Regardless of Sam/Tom's online rants, his longevity and accomplishments as a writer
should be held in high regard. Can't please everybody!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There is no doubt Sam's Space had a long time leadership. He would not have lasted 32 years without one. However, as you say, times change.

I don't think it was smart of him to take his grievances online to a public forum in the end.

The fact that Sam Telling did exactly as you stated, IMHO shows how lacking he is in professionalism:(. Which, looking back at his many articles for S'phile is NOT surprising at all. Again, IMO, he was a rank amateur when it came to this hobby... constantly touting gear that was flawed in SQ and seemingly unable to discern the problems therein. As I said before, I will certainly NOT miss him form the pages of S'phile.
Once again, here's hoping that whoever they deem to replace him with, will have the ability to a) hear the multitude of sins that most gear elicits and b) have the honesty to report what they hear in a good and professional manner.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
All these negative comments about Sam! How does anyone manage to read some of the writers/reviewers in TAS, like Harley, Valin, Alan Taffel, Chuck Zellig, etc??

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The fact that Sam Telling did exactly as you stated, IMHO shows how lacking he is in professionalism:(. Which, looking back at his many articles for S'phile is NOT surprising at all. Again, IMO, he was a rank amateur when it came to this hobby... constantly touting gear that was flawed in SQ and seemingly unable to discern the problems therein. As I said before, I will certainly NOT miss him form the pages of S'phile.
Once again, here's hoping that whoever they deem to replace him with, will have the ability to a) hear the multitude of sins that most gear elicits and b) have the honesty to report what they hear in a good and professional manner.

FYI, typo...I meant readership, not leadership!

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I subscribe to both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Much prefer Stereophile and most likely will not renew TAS. That's a matter of taste. I couldn't enumerate objective reasons. Just find more stuff that captures my interest in Stereophile.

Seems that both magazines have had their issues over the past few years with either writers or former publishers and that's too bad. I chalk it up to accumulated perceived (or real) slights over the years on both sides. Sometimes its better just to let that stuff go by the wayside if you can - reduces stress. :)

As a side comment, I also enjoy the Stereophile affiliated blogs / sites - Tyll Hertson's Inner Fidelity and Michael Lavorgna's Audio Stream.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's easy. I don't.
I don't anymore either... But I guess one has to spend some time reading them to be able to conclude that it is a waste of further time :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'd agree there needs to be younger reviewers. I think it would help the Stereophile stagnant demographic to get a reviewer who might appeal to a much wider audience. What's wrong with throwing in reviews with modern dance music, heavy metal or even hip hop? I want to read a review about Revel's new sub with test tracks from N.A.S.A. :)

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing