Rush

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I saw this film this afternoon as we couldn't get in to see Gravity in 3D Imax

All I can say is :"Wow, does little Opie (AKA Richie Cunningham AKA Ron Howard) know how to make a film." This movie was nothing short of spectacular as it chronicles the few years of bitter rivalry been British Formula One race drivers James Hunt from Britain and Austrian Niki Lauda who drove for Team Ferrari. The photography is beyond incredible as Ron Howard portrays the races between these two drivers. The story is terrific from start to finish and it was terrific at the end to see vignettes of the actual Hunt and Lauda.

As great as the film is (and I expect it to be nominated for Best Picture) it won't win the Oscar for Best Picture but I expect to see it nominated in many categories

The actors who played Hunt and Lauda are almost dead ringers for the 2 men. The story is quite inspirational as we see Lauda come back from 3rd degree burns to his face and body from a car wreck during a rain storm in the middle of a race as he was in hot pursuit of Hunt. The story focuses on 1976 during the Formula One circuit and the rivalry between these men. As much as they hated each other they had utmost respect for one another and towards the end developed a liking for one another

This film is a must see at 123 minutes

4/5 stars and Kudos to Ron Howard once again for such a wonderful film

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Opie has been making fine films
for awhile now. Another Roger Corman graduate!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Any cameo's for Ron Howard's brother on this one Steve? :D

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
I saw Jame Hunt and Niki Lauda race at Watkins Glen - both excellent people.

http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/2013/07/19/rush-whatever-happened-to-f1-champ-james-hunt/

"And he was accompanied by an apparently intoxicated (as was Hunt) young blond in short-shorts and a dirty t-shirt, who he introduced as “Miss Hot Loins.” Hearty applause ensued. A smile from James was usually enough to win forgiveness for the most outrageous behavior."

Died clean and sober at the age of 45.

zz

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I saw Jackie Stewart at Watkins Glen in 1970 (8 years old with Dad)..I have been a fan ever since. I am looking forward to watching this movie.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I saw the picture last week, and I mostly agree with SW's assessment. a lot of credit is going to peter morgan's screenplay and Daniel bruhls role as niki. the 70s era of F1 is especially dear to me and ive been following and attending F1 races since childhood and could say lauda was one of my hereos. i think morgan did a wonderful job creating characters you wanted to loath and love equally and sometimes not knowing who to root for at any given time.

in reality hunt wasn't lauda;s biggest rival (over his entire career) rush focus' primarily on the '76 season, noteworthy as the year lauda crashed at the 'ring and was given his last rights by a priest only to come back from the dead (literally) and finish up the season missing just two races. it was also known the Ferrari 312t was the class of the field in '76 and was up on power by as much as 50 hp over the cossie dfv powered cars (basically the entire f1 grid). One could also argue the m26 chassis that hunt had under him was the better of the two but the power deficit and lauda's superior technical know-how in chassis set-up put him way ahead of his contemporaries.

I thought rush was quite factual and fleshed out the characters' as they were. niki's affection with the f-word are well documented and his matter-of-fact straight talk is exactly as he is in real life. Niki's true nemesis came years later after a 3-yr hiatus from f1 to start an airline, he came back this time joining McLaren right at the dawn of the turbo era in f1 when the hp jumped from 450-500 in '76 to over 1,000 HP in '84. after what seemd like difficult odds niki won his 3rd and last championship in '84 by 1/2 point! the closest championship in f1 history. niki latter said it was his toughest year ever competing against his team mate and up and comer alain prost (who would later create sparks with the late great ayrton senna).

even though rush is being mentioned along with other great motor racing films such as "grand prix" and "le Mans" i wouldn't put in the same league, not for the reasons that you think - rush has the superior story - but i found the CGI barely passable and in direct comparison to the two other films it falls way short in the you-are-there real to life wheel banging. the wheel banging (all CGI) in rush looks amateurish and by someone that hasn't observed real race cars on real tracks - in other words a non-mortorsport enthusiast. in howard's defense rush was made on a budget of only $50 mil (paltry by todays standards).

i'd give rush 3/5 stars. honestly, i'd be surprised if it were an Oscar contender for best film.

Steve Williams

I saw the picture last week, and I mostly agree with SW's assessment. a lot of credit is going to peter morgan's screenplay and Daniel bruhls role as niki. the 70s era of F1 is especially dear to me and ive been following and attending F1 races since childhood and could say lauda was one of my hereos. i think morgan did a wonderful job creating characters you wanted to loath and love equally and sometimes not knowing who to root for at any given time.

in reality hunt wasn't lauda;s biggest rival (over his entire career) rush focus' primarily on the '76 season, noteworthy as the year lauda crashed at the 'ring and was given his last rights by a priest only to come back from the dead (literally) and finish up the season missing just two races. it was also known the Ferrari 312t was the class of the field in '76 and was up on power by as much as 50 hp over the cossie dfv powered cars (basically the entire f1 grid). One could also argue the m26 chassis that hunt had under him was the better of the two but the power deficit and lauda's superior technical know-how in chassis set-up put him way ahead of his contemporaries.

I thought rush was quite factual and fleshed out the characters' as they were. niki's affection with the f-word are well documented and his matter-of-fact straight talk is exactly as he is in real life. Niki's true nemesis came years later after a 3-yr hiatus from f1 to start an airline, he came back this time joining McLaren right at the dawn of the turbo era in f1 when the hp jumped from 450-500 in '76 to over 1,000 HP in '84. after what seemd like difficult odds niki won his 3rd and last championship in '84 by 1/2 point! the closest championship in f1 history. niki latter said it was his toughest year ever competing against his team mate and up and comer alain prost (who would later create sparks with the late great ayrton senna).

even though rush is being mentioned along with other great motor racing films such as "grand prix" and "le Mans" i wouldn't put in the same league, not for the reasons that you think - rush has the superior story - but i found the CGI barely passable and in direct comparison to the two other films it falls way short in the you-are-there real to life wheel banging. the wheel banging (all CGI) in rush looks amateurish and by someone that hasn't observed real race cars on real tracks - in other words a non-mortorsport enthusiast. in howard's defense rush was made on a budget of only $50 mil (paltry by todays standards).

i'd give rush 3/5 stars. honestly, i'd be surprised if it were an Oscar contender for best film.

as I said yesterday I bet it will be nominated but definitely won't win. I loved the film and the interplay between the two as well as the uncanny resemblance of the actors to the characters they portray. If I could take my wife to a film about Formula One racing and have her say that she loved the film shows it also appeals to women

Too many other movies this year that are better Rob but since the Academy went to 10 nominations per category I think it is likely to see it nominated. I left the theater thoroughly entertained.

Steve Williams

I saw Jame Hunt and Niki Lauda race at Watkins Glen - both excellent people.

http://jerrygarrett.wordpress.com/2013/07/19/rush-whatever-happened-to-f1-champ-james-hunt/

"And he was accompanied by an apparently intoxicated (as was Hunt) young blond in short-shorts and a dirty t-shirt, who he introduced as “Miss Hot Loins.” Hearty applause ensued. A smile from James was usually enough to win forgiveness for the most outrageous behavior."

Died clean and sober at the age of 45.

zz

That was a good and interesting article. Thanks for the link

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
YouTube: type in: nigel mansell ayrton senna fight

VERY ACCURATE.

If you wish to see some great F1 -1000 HP driving, check out Nigel Mansell.
Many people were jumping up & down about Senna, but Mansell was a GREAT.
YouTube: type in: nigel mansell ayrton senna fight
Great Stuff - Real Racing without the Massive Aids in today's cars.

zz.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Finally saw it this weekend- give it a B+. My only problem were the graphic burn scenes in the hospital- i had to leave the theater for 10 minutes. I realize you docs see it all the time, but the burns and vacuum were tough on the layman eyes/ears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing