RPG economics

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So I inquired about the estimated delivery time of the RPG variscreen with the manufacturer. They answered my question (8-10 weeks), but then mentioned they could also get me a quote for the order. So they quoted me $1295 (per screen), for an item that sells online for $971. When asked about this they responded "our retailers buy in large quantities so they get a discount, which they pass on to clients". Since this is a custom order item that is drop shipped from the manufacturer, this is complete bogus. They clowns are trying to shaft their retailers by selling factory direct, AND screw their end user customer at the same time by charging them a hefty premium. Amazing....

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
So I inquired about the estimated delivery time of the RPG variscreen with the manufacturer. They answered my question (8-10 weeks), but then mentioned they could also get me a quote for the order. So they quoted me $1295 (per screen), for an item that sells online for $971. When asked about this they responded "our retailers buy in large quantities so they get a discount, which they pass on to clients". Since this is a custom order item that is drop shipped from the manufacturer, this is complete bogus. They clowns are trying to shaft their retailers by selling factory direct, AND screw their end user customer at the same time by charging them a hefty premium. Amazing....
Show me the link where rpg is selling factory direct.

You need to go through a dealer. I am surprised they even talked to you. Yes, RPG can be expensive and slow. But, if you buy gear from their competitors you may very well end up buying from rpg in the end. That's what happened with me. RPG is by far the best.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Show me the link where rpg is selling factory direct.

You need to go through a dealer. I am surprised they even talked to you. Yes, RPG can be expensive and slow. But, if you buy gear from their competitors you may very well end up buying from rpg in the end. That's what happened with me. RPG is by far the best.

I will definitely buy their screens. I inquired about delivery time and had no idea they sold direct. I don't think they do so officially. I was very surprised they unilaterally offered me a quote and tried to cut out their retailers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Don't you think they'd be shafting their retailers if they sold their products direct for the same price or lower and not higher? Looks to me that they are deliberately discouraging direct selling with those quoted prices. If that were the case however, why not just come out and say that they do not sell direct ever? The only excuse they could have is if there is no official dealer in your area in which case they can be haggled with.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Don't you think they'd be shafting their retailers if they sold their products direct for the same price or lower and not higher? Looks to me that they are deliberately discouraging direct selling with those quoted prices. If that were the case however, why not just come out and say that they do not sell direct ever? The only excuse they could have is if there is no official dealer in your area in which case they can be haggled with.

These are drop shipped custom ordered items. No one goes to a brick and mortar to order variscreens - the "no dealer" argument does not fly. They are not "deliberately discouraging direct selling". I never asked if I could buy a screen from them directly - they unilaterally offered to sell me one.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This situation often happens with other companies, particularly in building materials - they will sell directly at full retail price, but their retail network will always sell at a discounted price - no one pays the full price! If you ask properly some friendly companies will evenly tell you who is the retailer selling for the lowest price in your zone. :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
RPG would rather you go through a dealer that's competent in the realm of acoustics. Ideally you want to hire an acoustician to handle the project. RPG works their quotes on a project basis. That is, your price will vary a great deal depending on how much you order. They assume their customers' projects are somewhat comprehensive and they build the gear according to the project order. Ordering acoustical treatments is totally opposite of audio gear. It's generally best to handle room treatments all at one time based on a single plan than do things ala carte. I've seen alot folks give up on room treatments after only treating a small part of their room or using an incomplete plan because that can sometimes make the room sound worse than totally untreated.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Edorr,
I hope you don't take my comments in a know-it-all kind of way. I think I paid nyal less than $1, 500 a year ago and he drew up plans for my room. If I had taken all of his advice from the beginning, I would have paid several thousand less in room treatments, most of which are in my attic now. :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Edorr,
I hope you don't take my comments in a know-it-all kind of way. I think I paid nyal less than $1, 500 a year ago and he drew up plans for my room. If I had taken all of his advice from the beginning, I would have paid several thousand less in room treatments, most of which are in my attic now. :)

Not at all. We all bring our personal experienced to this forum, and I fully appreciate that. My plan to acquire rpg variscreen panels is based on professional advice. I was just pointing out rpg's rather peculiar sales strategy. Again, if they wanted me to go,through a dealer, they could have asked me where do you live and advise me who to work with for me to achieve the best result. Instead, they just offered me a quote trying to sell me two panels at 30% above dealer pricing.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have you asked a dealer online or otherwise how much they would charge for a custom panel?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Have you asked a dealer online or otherwise how much they would charge for a custom panel?

They are not custom per se. The are made to order standard items. Pricing is the same from every retailer. 30% less than what the manufacturer offered me..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry edorr I'm a bit confused. Who said they were custom in the first place? I can't tell from the way your original post was worded if it was you or the RPG rep.

Are they different from the off the shelf products in terms of size and/or color if not in construction?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Sorry edorr I'm a bit confused. Who said they were custom in the first place? I can't tell from the way your original post was worded if it was you or the RPG rep.

Are they different from the off the shelf products in terms of size and/or color if not in construction?

They are a 100% standard item, yet made to order.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
aka no-inventory with merchants. Hmmmm. That is strange indeed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Jack,

If we look at the RPG products we will see immediately that they can not have many "off the shelf products" in the strict sense - they manufacture so many products with so many standard variations than almost all products are like custom designs.

Acoustic Frontiers mark that the Variscreen item is "made to order and usually ships in 6-10 weeks." If you look at the main RPG site you will find that it seems that the Variscreen has been removed from it, although it still shows in the European site. All this suggests me it can not be considered currently an "off the shelf product", but perhaps a disappearing product.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
i bought 3 Variscreens last year (along with 4 curved BAD panels and 16 Absorbers) I paid about what you were quoted for the variscreens. I will say it is a premium and very well made product...making a dramatic improvement in my room...

I can send a few pics if you want...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
i bought 3 Variscreens last year (along with 4 curved BAD panels and 16 Absorbers) I paid about what you were quoted for the variscreens. I will say it is a premium and very well made product...making a dramatic improvement in my room...

I can send a few pics if you want...

I have no problem with the (steep) pricing per say. As I mentioned, I was just baffled by the manufacturer "over-cutting" their retailers by 30% in a backdoor factory direct deal... I'm hopefull the sreens will do great things in my room as well....

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
They are not custom per se. The are made to order standard items. Pricing is the same from every retailer. 30% less than what the manufacturer offered me..

when I had ASC design my last room they said that they would sell direct to me but I found the same as edorr. I bought the product from my dealer at a 30% savings

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

- did that include shipping?
- was it a single 72" x 48" panel?
- what fabric did you ask for?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Wearing my dealer's hat, I've got no problem being over cut (if that's even a real term), only if I'm undercut. Just order from a dealer and enjoy the savings then.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing