Rmaf 2010

I don't think I can post a link here (nor would it be appropriate), but I'm posting my observations over on the Martin Logan Owners Group forum. It would take too much time to duplicate it all here. Much more to come today. Great show so far for me. The Acapella/Einstein room sounded great, as did Venture/FM Acoustics. My favorite thus far though might have been the room featuring Edge electronics and the Avalon Indra's - comfortable, relaxed and musically engaging. Nice selection of tunes when I was in there as well.

Hi guys,

Don't forget to stop by the Oswaldsmill Audio room. I would like to hear your impressions of their horn speakers and other products. I have heard them at the Mill in PA and really love my new speakers. Unfortunately they were unable to bring my speakers to the production model for the show.

Rich

I don't think I can post a link here (nor would it be appropriate), but I'm posting my observations over on the Martin Logan Owners Group forum. It would take too much time to duplicate it all here. Much more to come today. Great show so far for me. The Acapella/Einstein room sounded great, as did Venture/FM Acoustics. My favorite thus far though might have been the room featuring Edge electronics and the Avalon Indra's - comfortable, relaxed and musically engaging. Nice selection of tunes when I was in there as well.

Tim is doing a great job of covering. He had his posts up last night even! The weather could NOT be better this year! Fall in all its glory WITHOUT the snow (which is NO FUN when you are loading and unloading equipment).

Roger enjoyed spending time with him after the show "officially" closed where they could do some fun stuff like play with the digital cross over and turn the panels into full range electrostatic panels and play different music to see how things sounded. You don't get that during the normal day.

Keep the posts coming!

Cheers,
Angela

You can copy & paste your own content and place it here if you wish, so you wouldn't have to re-write all of it here.

Lee

Please feel free to stop into room 9026. We are having a great time with the debut of Doshi Audio's Johr amplifiers. We have an SME 20 turntable with a series 5 arm, koetsu azule platinum cartridge, wadia S7i CD player, and a Revox reel to reel into the Doshi Audio Alaap pre-amplifier. The Johr monoblocks are powering a pair of Wilson Audio Sashas

I will not attend this year, we were some years back (Art still was around) and handed us special pases since we were representing the Mexico Audio Club ... Still missing the joy and great time we had there. Planing to attend CES2011 thou...

do01..jpgdo04..jpgdo03..jpgdo02..jpg
Please feel free to stop into room 9026. We are having a great time with the debut of Doshi Audio's Johr amplifiers. We have an SME 20 turntable with a series 5 arm, koetsu azule platinum cartridge, wadia S7i CD player, and a Revox reel to reel into the Doshi Audio Alaap pre-amplifier. The Johr monoblocks are powering a pair of Wilson Audio Sashas

One of my favorite rooms of the show so far, really enjoyed the Doshi electronics. I think the Sasha's might have even sounded better than when I first heard them last year paired with ARC gear.

Thank you for coming in! I was a really awesome experience being at my first RMAF. I would still love to hear what people thought of our room and the others at the show.

Emphasis supplied.

Proof that the Avalons are one off the best speakers still. Sadly the Rowland Research Avalon exhibit was mute. I think Rowland is as good as Spectral/ Avalon.

Here's a close up of the Doshi amps:

doshi_amps.jpg

Tim, overall, would you say this year's RMAF was as good as last year's? I was talking to an audio dealer here yesterday, who said it wasn't. I suppose it has to do with perspective, that's why I'm asking yours. Thanks.

Tim, overall, would you say this year's RMAF was as good as last year's? I was talking to an audio dealer here yesterday, who said it wasn't. I suppose it has to do with perspective, that's why I'm asking yours. Thanks.

For me personally it was better Steve (we didn't do our PI at the same time so I was able to actualy attend all 3 days). I think the sound was as good or better on average, there was a LOT of analog - both vinyl and RTR, and some interesting new products. The biggest trend that I noticed was that there was a big upside in streaming Hi-Rez setups. In fact I saw very few folks actually spinning CD's. Most were either analog based or streaming. I didn't take anything with me except my iPad and in every room where I wanted to hear something they were able to accomodate me plugging in.

Last edited:
Roger said it was the best RMAF so far (for him) and he's attended since the beginning. Traffic was higher and interest was genuine. Many folks came back more than a few times "to get their fix". All in all, a real success.

did anyone see the Lotus Elise in the parking lot?
elise..jpg

[/B] Emphasis supplied.

Proof that the Avalons are one off the best speakers still. Sadly the Rowland Research Avalon exhibit was mute. I think Rowland is as good as Spectral/ Avalon.

To correct my own post while the Rowland Avalon exhibit in the lobby was mute there was another room where the were actually playing. I missed it.

I didn't miss it. It was up on the second floor in the corner. They were playing a their new "Transcendants" with the Rowland amp and it sounded fantastic. In fact, I think it was one of the best sounding rooms in the show. If anyone is familiar with the Avalon Time, it has alot of it's charactarics in a scaled down package for $15k.

I might as well add my 2 cents worth here on other rooms that I thought sounded good. The YG Acoustics Carmel was playing in 2 different rooms (Synergistic and Veloce) where they were sounding quite spectacular in my opinion. Gobbs of information, soundstaging that went well beyond the room bounderies (in the Synergistic room) and in you are their excitement/realism that is few and far between in my experience (MBL excitement comes to mind, but with more image density albeit less bottom end). In my opinion, it was probably the most realistic speaker I heard at the show. For a 2 way speaker, you get bass into the mid 30 hz range which is pretty good for small to medium sized rooms, but probably won't load up a larger room. Oddly enough, I did not come away with the same level of enthusiasm with the larger YG speakers. Not sure why, by they just don't seem to have the same magic as the Carmels from the midrange on up...

Other rooms that sounded particularly good to me were the Acoustic Zen playing there new Crescendo speakers, the Wilson Sasha/VTL room with Peter McGrath's master tapes, Audio Physics Virgo 25 with Trigon (also German) amplification, the new Evolution Acoustics MMMiniTwo, Nola Metro Grand Reference/Audio Research, Vandersteen 7/Audio Research, Wilson Sophia 3/Rega, Kudos/Allnic/MBL 111f. I did hear the Magico Q5's room, and I am hesitant to comment as I believe the room was to small for the system and as a result was a disservice to the system to play it in that room.

For the first large show I have ever been to there was no large Wilson presentation. They are usually SRO with some fine musical selections. Oh well maybe next year. I did not see CJ either.

For $18k the YG Carmel is a diamond.

I/others agree about the small YG's. The smallest was by far the best. The biggest the worst.
The Acoustic Zen/Tri room was excellent and balanced as usual.
Audio Machina speakers were great, converying the warmth of Cassandra Wilson's voice on "Red River Valley".
Tidal speakers also were very rich and pleasant.
Bergman/Lanche was special, with the lowest distortion and cleanest lp playback that I've ever heard.
TTWeights room was fantastic with the most impressive soundstage spread from front to back of the show.
The Salk/Nugent room was one of the best. Never heard Salk speakers sound this good. Empirical Audio might be the one to get for digital playback.
Charles King and Rich Brown were spinning some amazing tapes in the Doshi room. The Beatles "A Day In The Life" was mind-blowing!
Overall the sound was very good this year. Only a few disappointments in the bunch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing