Rio 2016 Olympics - next Summer Olympic Games in Brazil

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The World Cup >> Olympics for football. I don't like to see football in the Olympics.

First, it's nice on the last day of the Rio summer Olympic games to see new faces posting here. :cool:

Mike, you mean soccer. ...Actually football...you're right...sort of. :b Lol

Look, Golf is now part of the Olympics, and it's just the beginning. So, any sport is fun @ the Olympics in my book of games. Who knows...Chess one day! :D
I'm kidding; Olympics are about endurance, body and mind, Olympics are about pushing the limits of humans...physically and mentally/emotionally.
And the Olympic spirit is its recognition and participation and communication among all world's nations. ...It's a helping hand for peace.

Soccer, football or not; it's all good to me.

Badminton is an extremely popular sport in the rest of the world, and it is fun to watch on TV. People have little idea of what the sport at the olympic level is like. I am disappointed that there was no coverage on the major networks.

Peter, I watched some excellent games...CBC Canada...Live...Men's and Women's Singles and Doubles.

During Diving Event, Pool Transforms From Crystal Blue to Garishly Green

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/10/s...K&kwp_0=198747&kwp_4=775280&kwp_1=389445&_r=0

Steve, while you were vacationing in some magic places of our beautiful blue planet, enjoying great music from some of the best hi-fi stereo sound systems, great food, great vistas, great people, ...here on our TVs, some of us (they figured 5 billion viewers), we were glued to the Rio Olympic summer games...including that diving pool that we saw turning green from blue. It was the big talk then, and all over the Internet people were having fun with good humor.

Now, about a week ago, we all know the real reason why: http://gizmodo.com/we-finally-know-why-the-olympic-diving-pool-turned-gree-1785276491

In Men's football winning an Olympic Gold means diddly....it's never meant anything and never will. Brazil is making a huge deal out of this as it's a sort of redemption. They were significantly embarrassed by the Germans in the last WC semis and by the Dutch in the Bronze Medal game. This Olympic Gold is an ego boost for the country and Neymar especially. In general Men's Olympic football is a watered down version of the Big 3....World Cup, Euro Cup and Copa America. It's not even close.

It's a different story for Woman's Football. The World Cup is the still THE prize, but the Olympics are a close second. Unlike Men's football, their rosters are comprised of the best players for both tournaments, because they are important to their game. As such, and IMO, the woman's game is a lot more exciting to watch.

I agree with you John. And the players were all different back then for Germany and Brazil @ the World Cup.

Anyway, Brazil will take anything they can to Redeem (way of speech)...or Pride. It's not only Brazil...it's human nature of the whole world.
So, Gold @ the Olympics for Men's Soccer against Germany and Gold for Men's Volleyball against Italy are sweet victories..human victories...from the heart and soul.

And I make no distinction between Men's and Women's disciplines...any disciplines...even in Men's Synchronized Swimming...not part of the Summer Olympic games...yet. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Surfing is now an official Olympic sport! WTF? Someone explain the rationale behind this....please!

Surfing requires physical and mental strength...and the right wave @ the right moment. :b

Seriously, Sailing is part of the Olympic winds...so why not Surfing part of the Olympic waves. I'm all for it John.
Canoeing, Kayaking, ...Pedalo. :b ...Lol...Pedalo...and why not!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I watched the last twenty minutes or so of that Men's Gold Basketball Olympic game...USA vs Serbia. That was an easy win for team USA.

I also like the idea of having your own cruise ship to stay in: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/sports/olympics/rio-2016-basketball-united-states-cruise-ship.html

Nice, very nice, and well protected by the Federal police patrol, in front of the ship...the zodiac.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/04/usa-basketball-cruise-ship-olympics-jimmy-butler

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
In Men's football winning an Olympic Gold means diddly....it's never meant anything and never will. Brazil is making a huge deal out of this as it's a sort of redemption. They were significantly embarrassed by the Germans in the last WC semis and by the Dutch in the Bronze Medal game. This Olympic Gold is an ego boost for the country and Neymar especially. In general Men's Olympic football is a watered down version of the Big 3....World Cup, Euro Cup and Copa America. It's not even close.

It's a different story for Woman's Football. The World Cup is the still THE prize, but the Olympics are a close second. Unlike Men's football, their rosters are comprised of the best players for both tournaments, because they are important to their game. As such, and IMO, the woman's game is a lot more exciting to watch.

even with all that said...neither Bra nor Ger had ever won the Oly title... the only major title to elude them. brail had 3 silver. they now broke the Oly and Maracana jinx in one fell swoop.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
even with all that said...neither Bra nor Ger had ever won the Oly title... the only major title to elude them. brail had 3 silver.
they now broke the Oly and Maracana jinx in one fell swoop.

Live in front of 78,000 happy/cheering fans. ...With tears of joy in their eyes, comforting hugs in their hearts and blessings from gold in their soul.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Football/Soccer needs to eliminate the BS of penalty kicks to decide a game. Let them keep playing until there is a winner. Maybe each team needs to remove one player after every 10 minutes with no scoring. The field would be wide open if it cam down to 5 aside.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
It's raining in Rio for the closing ceremony, but all people happy and cheering and smiling and dancing to the music. It's like a big party inside the open stadium with everyone holding their camera phones. And the ones that don't...the battery run out. :b

I just luv it, some athletes are showing their medals and biting them with their teeth. Way to go Rio! :cool: Was a great show!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Did you just see Victoria Secret dancing! WoW! Check the Rio girls! Check the party man! The champagne is floating and the fireworks are electrifying!
-----

And did you see that video montage about Tokyo's next 2020 Summer Olympic games! WoW!
From Rio to Tokyo...pass the Olympic flame to the next world's city...and raise their flag and their people.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Major kudos to the CBC for their outstanding and extensive LIVE coverage of the games. From boxing to wrestling to ping-pong to badminton to fencing to equestrian to BMX and everything in between. I must have seen at least 8 hours of it every day...I'm a HUGE Olympics fan, both Summer and Winter.

Congratulations to our Canadian athletes who went in with a goal of finishing in 12th place and 19 medals. They were rewarded for their efforts with a 10th place finish and 22 medals.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
I would like to say that was amazing live so intensively the olympic games. Receive the games on city where you live open a huge range of possibilities. I could see alive Phelps winning medley gold medal, tennis, athletics with bolt and several others. The amazing houses of countries with culture sharing and the absolutely amazing days with people from all parts of the world. A huge party for 17 days what all cariocas are sad for ending. If you have a chance, go to a olympc games at least one time in your life. You will can fell what i felt on last 17 days is a great experience ! Now just waiting for Tokyo !

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would like to say that was amazing live so intensively the olympic games. Receive the games on city where you live open a huge range of possibilities. I could see alive Phelps winning medley gold medal, tennis, athletics with bolt and several others. The amazing houses of countries with culture sharing and the absolutely amazing days with people from all parts of the world. A huge party for 17 days what all cariocas are sad for ending. If you have a chance, go to a olympc games at least one time in your life. You will can fell what i felt on last 17 days is a great experience ! Now just waiting for Tokyo !
Absolutely! I saw several events at the 1976 Montreal Summer Olympics and it was awesome.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I followed that story quite closely, and there are things starting to emerged, and I was waiting for some of them because both parties, including the Rio police's chief, were hiding some important facts. For example; that restroom @ the petro gas station...the police did say that it was vandalized..couple mirrors broken and the soap dispenser damaged.
To me the police's chief way over exaggerated, actually lied because no damage was done to the toilet room...none whatsoever.
Ryan removed a poster that was already hanging from an outside wall inside its frame, and Ryan and another guy simply urinated in a small bush behind a wall adjacent to the restroom. The restroom's door was locked...out-of-service, and when you have to pee you gotta pee, and without a toilet in the taxi they made a quick stop @ the gas station and went inside first for the restroom, but there was none...so they went outside where she was...

Sure, Ryan was intoxicated, and so probably twelve more million people across the continent @ the same time.

I'm looking @ this from a fair perspective, from all angles. Sure Ryan over exaggerated the story too. But sure too, two guns were pointing towards their direction.
The deal here is that those two prison guards, off duty, they decided to take action of their own by demanding money for the poster...that's it. The poster was worth twenty bucks according to a petro staff guy, but they gave them $70 all together. Then they were free to leave.

The police won't reveal the names of those two off duty prison guards on fear that their reputation could be damaged! This is a big clue, because there are laws too in Brazil.
And were they allowed to demand financial restitution for the damaged poster with their guns??? To me it looks like two bad dudes them two prison guards. They feared the swimmers, they feared Ryan actually because he was verbally "altered", and they draw their guns in fear.

To me there are no angels here, including the Rio's chief police officer. One of the swimmer had to donate $11,000 to a judo club (charity), so that he wouldn't be charged! Wow, Rio police you sure know how to extort money from Americans.

You have to look @ the two sides of the medal here.

? Check this out (read it all): http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...yan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/
______

And of course this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...bricated-claim-robbery-Olympics.html?ITO=1490
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rops-ryan-lochte-after-rio-olympics-incident/

It is unfortunate, not only for Ryan, for his three swimmer friends, for team USA, for Rio, for the Olympics, for the police (who also lied), for those two prison guards drawing their guns, and which the police is hiding their identity, but for us too...part of our world, our continent, our people.

Ryan is not the only one learning a lesson, the Rio's police chief too, and all of us...the entire world watching and looking for the truth.
Don't judge too quickly before all the facts are in...and now it is becoming more clear.

I had to share this, because I want to know all the facts, and how human nature reacts without having all their facts together first...men's history through centuries...
It's so easy to blame the neighbor...the other. But then, who's the real neighbor? It's us, our own family!

...An Olympic story in Rio in the year 2016 during the summer games.

And now, just for humor, but that humor could also be directed to Rio's police chief who doesn't have a clue to what he's talking about when he mentioned that the restroom was vandalized with broken mirrors and soap dispenser. ...And making pay one of the swimmers $11,000 to a judo school charity so that he won't be charged. ...And by not releasing the names of them two prison guards in fear of damaging their reputation. But the four US swimmers, their names and their reputation are already damaged forever.
Read that article above (?), read what a Brazilian lawyer is saying, read all there is to read, read what the police said, read between the lines, read behind and further into all aspects and purposes of man's nature. And that translator/witness guy ... "The witness, Fernando Deluz, says he got involved after one of the guards pulled a gun on the men.", Fernando Deluz, without him there it could have been very very bad. He's probably the true hero in that entire saga...to me he is.

Ok, now just for humor:

Good behavior is important, and not lying is part of good behavior. And I hate guns! Because guns were used here without any solid foundation. A drunken guy with a big mouth is not a life threatening situation; it certainly wasn't here. Those two guards should be charged and pursued in justice...IMO.

Last edited:

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
The bigest problem was not what happened on gas station, was about Ryan declare a robbery when haven't happen. All media channels on the world was announcing that Rio is very violent (true) and that was going to be the most violent olympic games ever. It didn't happened because hundred thousand policemen force from entire country was moved here exactly to do not allow anything wrong with athletes and tourist. Be a olympic city is about tourism marketing worldwide. So when Ryan went to a police station and declared a robbery by policemens in a road 100% monitored for a couple days all the worlds media channels had exactly they was waiting to start a public defame and confirm what has been announced. The gas station employees just knew they was athletes on tv about repercussion on robbery, just then they informed they was responsible about the occurrence on day of that.

They was accused about perjury on robbery not about what happened. in time is very common the Gas stations here have the key of bathroom be on desk available and off course they should not know about that.

anyway the police reply was about anti marketing of a robbery didn't happened. not about anything on gas station.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing