Rice Cooker

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have been using the Black and Decker for years and I only make Thai Jasmine rice. I think it cooks it great. I might try the higher priced spread though.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I have had a Zirjoshi induction cooker for 4 years,it is a joy to use and makes resturaunt quality rice. If you can swing the price it is the best and easiest to use.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have had a Zirjoshi induction cooker for 4 years,it is a joy to use and makes resturaunt quality rice. If you can swing the price it is the best and easiest to use.

which model do you have Roger

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
The Tatung with the stainless steel bowl and cover works very well for basmati and Thai jasmine rice. Takes about 15-20 minutes and the rice is ready to serve. Sure beats a double-boiler. http://www.tatungusa.com/app/pageproduct.aspx?pid=196&cid=232 This unit is an example of the indirect heat genre of rice cookers. :)

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
We were raised on Calrose...

Yes - agreed. If you want a crust, there are different ways to do it. I'll post my recipes for Biryani (Indian rice), Paella (Spanish rice), Risotto (Italian rice), and also North African tangine-cooked lamb-rice dishes..... when I have the time.

See? I can't live without rice :)

don't eat as much rice as I used to...
Boy, could I polish -lol- it off :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You guys still cookin' rice over here? Good for you. Last night I made up a big batch of brown rice (just with chicken stock in a sauce pan, but it worked). While that was cooking, I sauteed some seasoned, cut up chicken breasts in olive oil, then added half a sliced onion, three big chopped galic cloves, a bit more olive oil, a thin sliced zuccini and yellow squash, a large can of rough diced tomatos, a generous helping of dried oregano, and some fresh basil. Put that over the rice and called it heaven. :)

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In NC they had something called fatty rice. Cook the rice and add chicken fat. Season with fried okra and tomato with red peppers.

Steve Williams

You guys still cookin' rice over here? Good for you. Last night I made up a big batch of brown rice (just with chicken stock in a sauce pan, but it worked). While that was cooking, I sauteed some seasoned, cut up chicken breasts in olive oil, then added half a sliced onion, three big chopped galic cloves, a bit more olive oil, a thin sliced zuccini and yellow squash, a large can of rough diced tomatos, a generous helping of dried oregano, and some fresh basil. Put that over the rice and called it heaven. :)

Tim

Makes my mouth water Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Makes my mouth water Tim

Thanks. There's nothing to it, really. It's a pretty basic ratatollie with chicken added. But, really, if you start off with olive oil, garlic, onions and tomatos, it's pretty hard to blow it from there. Got fresh basil? You're a chef.

Tim

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary,

Got the Zojirushi NS-TGC10.

My wife and son think it's wonderful.

Thanks again.

Dan

Welcome to the club Dan. One particular feature of the Zoji I love is that it counts down the last 18mins of cooking. This is important because by the time it starts to count down, most of the water has been absorbed/evaporated and you can place ingredients on top for a one-pot meal.

Tim's recipe above would work perfectly with this technique. When the cooker starts to count down, put all the ingredients he mentioned on top for a great ratatouille on rice.

For something more Asia. When I put the rice to cook, I'll debone 4 chicken thighs, cut each thigh into 4 pieces and marinate in 2 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine, 1 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 tsp of Chinese black vinegar, 2 tsp of soya sauce. After about 20 minutes, sear all sides of the chicken in a very hot oiled frying pan - 2 mins each side. Take the pan off the fire (do not remove the chicken from the frying pan). When Zoji starts counting down, tip all the chicken into the rice cooker, throw in what ever vegetables you have on hand (even frozen peas and sweet corn) and cover and let it continue cooking.

With the Zoji, the microprocessor may extend the cooking time a little to make sure that everything is cooked.

Once it beeps, enjoy!!

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I use a Sanyo Induction pressurized rice cooker which makes short work of brown rice, GABA rice, haiga rice or a most anything else one can imagine. It was between the Sanyo (not found on the website for some reason) and the Zojirushi. Tiger also makes an excellent equivalent. All the induction/pressure rice cookers are expensive but having gone through various versions these last twenty years, I have become a big fan of pressurized rice cookers. The cooking time is shortened, quality rice for Asian meals is the norm and the husk on brown rice is softened.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Learn something new every day. Had never heard of pressurized rice cookers. Does it not damage the texture to do that?

mimesis

Sep 26, 2010
I think the microprocessor control monitors things such that the rice is cooked properly. I find the texture to be excellent, although I use short or medium grain rice, higher end than normal (purchased at a Japanese market) at around $10/2 kg. If you are truly high-end, you can spring for the $30/2 kg bags or even higher. I don't know where the best value is: $30 rice, $450 bottles of wine or $3000 speaker cables. Maybe they are all poor values?!

Steve Williams

Yes - agreed. If you want a crust, there are different ways to do it. I'll post my recipes for Biryani (Indian rice), Paella (Spanish rice), Risotto (Italian rice), and also North African tangine-cooked lamb-rice dishes..... when I have the time.

See? I can't live without rice :)

Still waiting on these recipes Gary

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
My younger son was here last week, he was so impressed with the way the Zoji cooked brown rice and Soo Foo, that he bought one as soon as he got back to San Diego.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing