Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I just measured mine and am 14 Db

I think my room is around 20-25 db on average although i have higher noise in the low freq , my clio gear shows a db versus freq graph over the whole audible bandwith , i assume most simpler measuring gear only state a certain db noise level at a certain freq ,still usable off course.
Next question do you hear transformerhum from the power amp / noise coming from the tweeter / midranges , i know i do :p amps powered on with no music playing

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think criticizing reviewers for not having man caves is silly.

Many of us want to have hifi in our living rooms to share with others. And yes, there are good sounding living rooms (see Albert Porter). I often find that dedicated rooms are over damped like studios as audiophiles become addicted to black backgrounds, lack of noise, etc.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I just measured mine and am 14 Db
weighted (and if so, how) or unweighted? I would think weighting the background noise level to one's hearing is most appropriate?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think my room is around 20-25 db on average although i have higher noise in the low freq , my clio gear shows a db versus freq graph over the whole audible bandwith , i assume most simpler measuring gear only state a certain db noise level at a certain freq ,still usable off course.
Next question do you hear transformerhum / noise coming from the tweeter / midranges , i know i do :p

Soundmeters usually give you results in dBA, that uses an weighting factor derived from the relative loudness perceived by the human ear, and frequently used for audio purposes. However the ITU-R 468 weighting would be better suited to check audiophile rooms - IMHO it would be much more sensitive to tube hiss! :D

The bare results shown by spectral analyzers do not display any weighting and can not be compared with these measurements.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 232

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I think criticizing reviewers for not having man caves is silly.

Many of us want to have hifi in our living rooms to share with others. And yes, there are good sounding living rooms (see Albert Porter). I often find that dedicated rooms are over damped like studios as audiophiles become addicted to black backgrounds, lack of noise, etc.

+1

Specially with electronics, gear is gear, and should sound good regardless. If you can improve things by tweaking, fine, but it should sound good in a normal room.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Treating and dedicating a room and making it silent does not mean it has to be dead.. I too hate dead rooms .. they suck the life out of music and rob it of ambient scale and grandeur. You tune a room to taste in this arena with a combination of absorption and diffusion. Clutter is not the way to do this , apart from which it does nothing for bass..(except make a whole lot of stuff resonate in sympathy .. you have a chorus of clutter humming its merry tune in tune with your music)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
**Time taken for sound to decay 60dB (T60) should be between 0.2s and 0.5s from 250Hz to 4kHz.

**T20 and T30 should be within +/- 25% from 250Hz to 4kHz when using one third octave smoothed bands.

(Taken from Acoustic Frontiers)

T20_T30_Range.png

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Joel's room (6 moon) is pretty nice with RT of 0.3

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
+1

Specially with electronics, gear is gear, and should sound good regardless. If you can improve things by tweaking, fine, but it should sound good in a normal room.

Not necessarily. In my previously untreated room I had a hard time hearing any significant difference between a Wadia 12 DAC (from 1993) and my current Berkeley Alpha DAC 2. After the first round of room treatments, differences in resolution and soundstaging were easily evident, which led me to purchase the Berkeley DAC. Further gains in resolution were closely related with additional room treatment, including suppressing plate resonances of the many glass windows in my room with window plugs.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
IMO, the dBA scale is relatively useless if you want to find out how isolated your room is to outside noise. dBA intentionally rolls off the bass sensitivity.

If you use dBC, now you will be measuring how much low frequency sound is entering your room. This can be especially important in areas where traffic noise can can intrude.

Warning - your measurements won't be nearly as low...

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I built my room using the same principles and then some .. I would expect any serious reviewer to have a similar room. When there is nothing playing , my room is 19dba .. dont underestimate the value of a quiet room.

I curious what constitutes a "serious reviewer". Anybody in particular?

Also, I'm all for aesthestics and I'm all for having a quiet room. But in the grander scheme of things, what do these really have to do with a system's actual performance level? IOW, a given system's ability to generate a believable level of musicality?

Here's why I ask. I attest there exists volumes (upon volumes) of the recording hall's ambient information in even some of the most poorly engineered recordings. If a pb system was indeed sufficiently capturing and reproducing this volumous recording hall ambient info, then whatever quirks are going on in a reasonable listening room should easily being overridden by the presentation being generated via the speakers. Shouldn't it?

And if that's not the case with a given system, then isn't spending an insurmoutnable time and resources on the room really just dealing with the effects rather than the cause?

Does it not stand to reason that the more of a recording that a system is able to sufficiently reproduce, the less the room should matter? Assuming of course that we're talking reasonable and not unreasonable rooms to start with. And if one boasts so much about performance of "the room" is that not really an indication of their system's significant performance limitations?

If nothing else, on its face, does that not sound reasonable and logical?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing