Restarting your iPod/iPad/iPhone

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Again - just sharing some knowledge. I didn't know you could "restart" your i-device. I always thought the on/off switch turned the device off (or as "off" as it can be for smart-covers to wake them up).

Apparently, it's not an on/off button. It's a sleep/wake button.

If you've got some apps that are crashing or won't run, don't blame the app immediately, sometimes, re-starting the device fixes the problem.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Restarting your device

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.

2. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

*Edit* Oh... implicit in those directions are "Then let go" :p i.e. hold until XXXXX then let go.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
To get devices to turn on rapidly, "off" feature has been hidden and the device is simply put in low power mode. This extends to many products. Today I put a CD in my car stereo. It locked up and would not function anymore. Turned the car off and powered back on. Still the same problem. Did that again, still the same problem. Then I left it off for 3 to 4 minutes and that forced a reset.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
You're behind the times Amir.... new cars don't come with CD players now... That's old school!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You're behind the times Amir.... new cars don't come with CD players now... That's old school!
They got rid of CD changers. Only now they are getting rid of the CD altogether since it is one of the most unreliable parts of the car. The laser doesn't like heat and nor does he mechanism like all that vibration. Many care makers have fine print that the stereo is no warrantied for the three years!

But yes, I get the jab :). The car is 3 years old. Thankfully for me the new one still have a CD player. Often I buy CDs and like to listen to them right away instead of waiting to rip them. Today is one of those days as I just some more CDs in the mail :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My wife's BMW rips the CD when you insert it and choose the "store in file" option. Of course, it can play it directly as well.

Lee
What does it do for metadata? Older systems I had seen had a cached version which would get out of date quickly. Does this one use a celllular network connection to get it? Or does it just assign track 0, 1, 2, etc.?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
What does it do for metadata? Older systems I had seen had a cached version which would get out of date quickly. Does this one use a celllular network connection to get it? Or does it just assign track 0, 1, 2, etc.?

I'll have to take a look. Apparently, you must think that my wife lets me put any music onto her car's storage!

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

On most CDs, the built-in hard drive displays the metadata (individual song names on an album), but not on all of them. She has one of Adele's CDs that has the "Track 1, Track 2, etc." assignments. Might be the way the metadata is accessed on that CD, I don't know enough about it.

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing