REM Unplugged Record Day 2014

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Keith!

I received both this week and have listened to them 3 times now. My pressings (all 8 sides) are perfectly flat and perfectly centered. No pops, no clicks, no scuff marks...nothing. Very satisfied with the product quality. Sound is really good, although I felt it lacked some mid-range depth and was slightly top end bright. Not much and I'm not overly concerned about it, but that's the impression I got from playback on my system. The material itself is wonderful. I played it 3 times in succession because I enjoyed the acoustic presentation so much.

REM's unplugged sound quality doesn't approach some of the other bands who have done the MTV gig. Alice In Chains comes to mind and remains superior to all of the unplugged shows I have heard sound quality wise...Clapton is close.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
REM's unplugged sound quality doesn't approach some of the other bands who have done the MTV gig. Alice In Chains comes to mind and remains superior to all of the unplugged shows I have heard sound quality wise...Clapton is close.

To be clear...I didn't say the REM pressings are close to the AIC and Clapton pressings. They are nice pressings however and IMO well worth owning, especially when you consider the fact there are 11 songs not previously released. This surely is a wonderful incentive for the REM fan. From a purely musical perspective, these 2 releases don't take a back seat to any other Unplugged efforts from any band. The music is vibrant, engaging, has a sense of joy (which is quite the opposite of their studio efforts) and I for one will gladly give these pressings repeated plays.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Ive used that Alice in Chains one as a demo for years...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing