(relatively) Cheap Martin Logans

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I had an opportunity yesterday to spend some quality time comparing, with little distraction, MLs new entry-level electrostatic hybrid, the ElectroMotion ESL 8, and the largest of their budget "motion" line, the Motion 12.

I'd begin by complimenting ML on a pretty remarkable feat -- the introduction of a second line of speakers, utilizing a totally different driver technology, that not only sounds like part of the family, but does it so well that it makes the choice between $2,000 worth of ESL and $1500 worth of Motion much less than obvious. They are different, but damn they're close. The ESLs are more transparent. They have the clear, open midrange and treble, the extension without harshness, that one would expect from an electrostatic panel. The surprise is that the highs of the Motion, with its folded ribbon tweeter, are almost identical. it is in the mids, and in the dispersion, that the two designs differ, and which one is superior is not at all obvious. Relative to the ESLs, the Motion 12 sounds "warm" in the mids. It's not at all unpleasant, and I may even find it easier to live with day to day, though I expect the ESLs are more accurate. They presented what seemed to be wholly uncolored voices, horns and strings, while the lower mids seemed a bit recessed and thin. These are subtleties; they sound more alike than different.

The way the two systems image is very different. The Motions, with their dipole mids and tweeters, disperse broadly and evenly. They sound almost exactly the same from significantly off axis as they do up front. And the image, from a few feet back, is a few feet higher than the speakers themselves. The ESLs lost not only treble extension but midrange clarity and transparency off axis and threw an image exactly as tall as the panels; Merely stand up, and they changed dramatically for the worse.

In a dedicated listening room where the only intentions is sitting in the sweet spot, listening intently, the new ESLs would not only be worth the extra money, they would be worth much more than their price, in my opinion. In a typical domestic environment/situation in which you want to be able to enjoy the music from different positions in the room, or even while wandering around, going about your daily business, the ESLs would be the wrong choice, period. The Motion 12s would, however, do very well and not lose all that much in the critical listening capacity.

There was also a pair of the ML hybrids from last year in the room, the ones the ESL's are replacing, with a significantly larger bass cabinet and a significantly smaller panel. To my ears, these were not competitive with either the Motions or the new ESLs, which I think says a lot about how much Martin Logan has accomplished with these two new affordable models, either of which would be a great choice for a mid-sized room.

Tim

Last edited:

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Thanks Tim for the heads up on a great new product. I was familiar with a much older Martin Logan that looked very much like the ElectroMotion. Powered by Llano amps with Sylvania 5751 Black Plate tubes aboard that old Martin Logan was gorgeous to listen to.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Thanks for the mini-review, Tim. The ESL 8's just began shipping a couple of weeks back and, by all accounts I've read, they sound terrific and provide excellent value for $$. Larger panel than the previous ML "budget" model (Source) is a big plus.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
A very well-written review Tim. I still have a hard time thinking about ML selling cones and domes. It's almost like when Starbucks came out with a line of instant coffee which goes against the very grain of their business identity.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A very well-written review Tim. I still have a hard time thinking about ML selling cones and domes. It's almost like when Starbucks came out with a line of instant coffee which goes against the very grain of their business identity.

No domes, if that helps, Mark. Cones (which they've used for bass for years) and ribbons. Heil Air Motion Transformers, to be exact. They sound really good. If I were in the market for a passive speaker in that size range, they'd be in the consideration set, for sure.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Nice review Tim,

just a question though, was the same amp used, and was the amp solid state with negative feedback, ie conventional solid state amp?

TX

Tom

Same amp. Conventional solid state. Far too humble for this crowd, but it never broke sweat. :)

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great review Tim :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing