Reference Speakers to Audition

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Gentlemen-

I currently have Zu Definition 2s---which to me easily compete with speakers in the 20-30k range. They are completely awesome for the money. While amplifiers are a bit fussy with them (I have tried 5 now), they are a lot of fun!

That all said, if I decide to upgrade to a true reference grade transducer in the next year or two, what options do you recommend? Clearly the Wilson Maxx3 and Magico Q3 are where I would start, but what others? I have heard the Maxx3 a year ago and found it very, very good. I should point out that I will not purchase an 80db sensitivity speaker that requires an arc welder to drive---therefore, no MBLs (which I don't care for anyways) etc.

Anyways, appreciate the feedback in advance. My amplification will be McIntosh 601s when released after CES. Preamp yet to be decided.

Cheers,

KeithR

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Keith, could you share some more details on your system, room and targets? There are so many choices that it would be a big help in narrowing down what to recommend.

All I can gather for now is that if you like Zus, you like speakers with good "jump factor".

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
A short list would be:

Evolution Acoustics MM3
Magico Q5
Wilson Maxx3
Focal Maestro Utopia
Avalon Isis

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
That all said, if I decide to upgrade to a true reference grade transducer in the next year or two, what options do you recommend?

I just answered this very question: http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...f-the-art-speakers&catid=32:letters&Itemid=47

I'd be happy to elaborate or answer any questions.

I also should state that these choices are what would fit my requirements, namely a neutral, transparent loudspeaker that is super high fidelity. Those requirements might not be yours.

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I liked what I heard on the Vivid and YG line at CES last year, also the Sonus Faber Fenice worths the time to consider.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Evolution Acoustics MM3
Rockport Altair
Rocport Aquila
Von Schweikert VR5 and VR9
Revel Salon (The top fo the Line )
Geddes Summa (Very different philosophy, I must say but the chorus of ultra satisfied owners has me interested)

And indeed I don't care either for the MBL 101 sound or its ways of portraying music ...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Keith, could you share some more details on your system, room and targets? There are so many choices that it would be a big help in narrowing down what to recommend.

All I can gather for now is that if you like Zus, you like speakers with good "jump factor".

Yes, I do like some jump factor Jack and like to rock out a lot---even at semi-high volumes from time to time. Coherency is usually the most important thing.

My room is 25' and pretty squarish, but I did a Rives L1 so not completely bad as it sounds. I don't think planars or stats would work as my speakers are 3-4' max from the front walls. Here are some pictures I took last week when I was auditioning Dehavilland SET monoblocks.

KeithR Room_2..JPG Room_1..JPG

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Since you said reference and not "cost no object" let me make some different suggestions.

The smaller TAD speaker.
The Sanders hybrid electrstatic
Focal JM Labs latest offering for about $12.5k. Not yet available in the US. Sometime in December.
They all get out of the way of the music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great looking room Keith. It looks familiar. Did you post it somewhere with Dynaudios in it?

Do you see yourself owning horns?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I just answered this very question: http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php...f-the-art-speakers&catid=32:letters&Itemid=47

I'd be happy to elaborate or answer any questions.

I also should state that these choices are what would fit my requirements, namely a neutral, transparent loudspeaker that is super high fidelity. Those requirements might not be yours.

The TAD Reference One clearly should be on the list. Thanks Jeff.

Rockports may be too overwhelming looking in my multi-use room, not sure.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
The TAD Reference One clearly should be on the list. Thanks Jeff.

Rockports may be too overwhelming looking in my multi-use room, not sure.

The Altair would have the same foortprint as your current Zus... slithgly taller and deeper ...much. much heavier (515 lbs)... and of course you are not in the high efficiency strata of the Zus ... I am also interested on your opinion on the De HAvilland SET, which I beleive also use a GM 70 tube ...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The Altair would have the same foortprint as your current Zus... slithgly taller and deeper ...much. much heavier (515 lbs)... and of course you are not in the high efficiency strata of the Zus ... I am also interested on your opinion on the De HAvilland SET, which I beleive also use a GM 70 tube ...

The Aquila would be the one in my price range. Interesting looking speaker.

The DH products aren't the best looking amps out there---but for their price are very, very good sonically. I had the Aries 845Gs on demo from Kara's relative---btw, Kara is great to deal with! As some on the forum know, I was in a snowboarding accident in January and now relegated to a wheelchair (for now, who knows what will happen!). I tried tube monoblocks, but it's just a big pain to use on a daily basis. So while the sound was huge (big, involving, slighly colored--but in a positive way)--tube monoblocks in general aren't for me.

Es- that is a McIntosh MA6600 integrated. The preamp section isn't that bad in it---is not a passive like most integrateds.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
MHA (my humble advice) :

Get a decent speake buyers guide and select those which are in your estimated price range.

Select those you can afford to listen at will during a few hours in conditions similar to what you have with a system not too different from yours.

If the seller/demonstrator is unfriendly and you can not establish a good relation with him look elsewhere. If he tells you that unhappily his fantastic speakers only sound good with a special cable that will only arrive next month go away fast.

Listen for yourself. If you ask for advice from someone also ask him what kind of music he listens and at what typical loudness.

Always remember forum members are humans - if we really like something we would love that you also buy it, as we want to spread joy around us. :) (If you really like it is a secondary aspect!)

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
...if we really like something we would love that you also buy it, as we want to spread joy aroundus...

This is all I'm saying.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The first question I would ask would be - what do you mean by "reference", and secondly, how do you listen.

What is "reference"? A reference loudspeaker for studio monitoring is very different from a reference loudspeaker for an amplifier designer. Or do you mean a loudspeaker can play all kinds of music equally well, or do you mean a loudspeaker that readers of the hifi magazines will instantly know is "reference" because it is used by famous reviewers?

How do you listen? By yourself seated in the sweet spot? Or do you spend a lot of time listening with your spouse, children, friends, in what looks like a multi-purpose family room. If it is the latter, give some consideration to non-dipole line-source speakers like the Scaena or VMPS. They may not be as good as a point-source loudspeaker at the sweet spot, but for the sum of the total quality over a sweet spot that encompasses a family it is difficult to beat a line-source. Your room looks too small for dipole line-source speakers like the MG20.1.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I second the notion on checking out the Scaenas. They were my choice ultimately (and I auditioned some of the aforementioned) and have some similarity to the Zus in that the main driver(s) are run full range direct from the amp. I have some similar listening habits/preferences and they absolutely fit this bill:

Yes, I do like some jump factor Jack and like to rock out a lot---even at semi-high volumes from time to time. Coherency is usually the most important thing.

and as line arrays, do some things a bit differently as noted above as well as boosting s/n - reducing distortion. The way they project sound also makes them efficient beyond their sensitivity number.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing