Ref5 upgrade option possibly being offered in near future by ARC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Marti,

AFAIK it is not only the cable length - you were also comparing a usd 20k preamplifier to a 12k preamplifier using excellent VTL tube amplifiers in the system ... :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just as FYi. I found a truly remarkable Ref 5 upgrade a while ago. Its called a VTL 7.5 III. Sorry folks, a serious comparison favors the VTL quite decidedly although let's be honest, but are quite excellent. In my case, the ability to drive a long cable run to the amps may have been the key parameter favoring the VTL 7.5 III, whose SS output state seems suited to the task. I also love the idea of using a single pair of 12AU7s to modify the sound of my system to find the best sonic match. Telefunkens, Mullards and Phillips offer very attractive and easily interchangable options in the VTL 7.5. It's truly a masterpiece.

I think the VTL 7.5 III is an example of a basically SS preamp masquerading as a tube preamp. There are only two tubes in the preamp surrounded by SS on either end (power supply, input, and output). Not that there is anything wrong with that mind you (said that guy who sold his all tube preamp for a SS preamp), but I just wonder if VTL could achieve the same or better sound if they eliminated the two 12AU7s. The pedigree of the company requires them to keep tubes in the circuit though.

And by the way, I’m a big fan of the 12AU7 and I have a tube caddy full of some of the best. I really like the Mullard box plate CV4003. They are military tubes that came with a pin protector installed over the tubes and wrapped in paper inside the cardboard box. Your expectation bias just tells you they will be the bomb. Marty, let me know if there is a pair of 12AU7s that you would like to hear that you don’t already own and I will see if I have them and let you hear them.

The problem with tube preamps that don’t use a cathode follower to lower the output impedance is that you have to keep your ICs between your preamp and power amp really short or you roll of the highs big time. That would be the perfect tube preamp for Tom since he doesn’t like to hear above 12 kHz. I’m pretty sure the 7.5 III uses a SS buffer after the 12AU7s in order to drop the impedance and make the preamp impervious to long ICs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think the VTL 7.5 III is an example of a basically SS preamp masquerading as a tube preamp. I’m pretty sure the 7.5 III uses a SS buffer after the 12AU7s in order to drop the impedance and make the preamp impervious to long ICs.

Is this the same as the CJ GAT? I am no techie, but this is what i understand CJ did with the GAT. All i know is it is my favorite amp of the ones i have heard. ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
From what I understand, the CJ GAT uses a SS buffer on the output to drop the impedance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
From what I understand, the CJ GAT uses a SS buffer on the output to drop the impedance.

Thanks. I should know this, as i am blessed to listen to one every day at home...but i am not techie enuf always to understand.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing