Ref5 upgrade option possibly being offered in near future by ARC

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I noticed this mentioned on another thread and my dealer confirmed the same when he mentioned this to me on Friday while dropping off my Ref5.
No idea of what the upgrade will actually be and the cost, but it seems it relates to some aspects they can implement from the Anniverary model.

Will be interesting to hear what the difference will be once it is available.
Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I noticed this mentioned on another thread and my dealer confirmed the same when he mentioned this to me on Friday while dropping off my Ref5.
No idea of what the upgrade will actually be and the cost, but it seems it relates to some aspects they can implement from the Anniverary model.

Cheers
Orb

Looking at both preamplifiers inside I could think immediately about the new capacitors developed for the Anniversary - they use them in the REF150.

Quoting the REF150 power amplifier page from the ARC site:

"All-new interstage coupling capacitors using technology and materials first incorporated in our Anniversary Edition preamplifier effortlessly link input stage to output stage, which is powered by two matched quads of Russian KT120 output tubes driven by 6H30 twin triodes. "

And, yes, the REF150 is a fantastic amplifier. Unhappily it is not powerful enough for my Soundlabs ... :(

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Cheers
Orb

ARC is known for their upgrades :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

racewong

Dec 22, 2011

Cheers
Orb

Hi Orb, Any update?
As I'm ref 5 user in Hong Kong, I also want to know the performance after upgraded. ^^

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have not followed up on this as I assume Audio Research will do an announcement, or our local distributor.
I am not expecting this though until late spring at earliest, maybe someone has some accurate timelines they can share though.
Like you I cannot wait :)
Cheers
Orb

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Jonathan valin has actually posted his impressions on a ref phono 2 SE version, and I know from the local dealer that a ref 5 SE is already available. The good news is there is an upgrade path costing 1k for these models.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Good catch on the ref phono SE.
Looking down to the comments JV says:
ARC tells me that it will begin taking "appointments" for upgrading the Ref Phono 2 to Ref Phono 2SE status (and Ref 5 to Ref 5SE status) in January 2012. (I'm sure there will be an official ARC announcement to this effect at or before the turn of the year.
Obviously, ARC can't retrofit all Ref Phono 2s and Ref 5s at once--thus the "appointment" scheduling.
Be patient; I'm sure everyone will be served in due time.)

Cheers
Orb

racewong

Dec 22, 2011
I have not followed up on this as I assume Audio Research will do an announcement, or our local distributor.
I am not expecting this though until late spring at earliest, maybe someone has some accurate timelines they can share though.
Like you I cannot wait :)
Cheers
Orb

Thanks Orb, I will ask the Hong Kong dealer for any news update.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Will be interesting to see the price once it is available.
Cheers
Orb

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Spoke to ARC yesterday, looks like end of Jan is when work will be done -- there will be a list as has been said and they want to do all units in a block of time as much as possible. There will be a new faceplate with the silver buttons on more recent ARC products and a larger power supply among other things.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
While i personally am less fussed about aesthetics when it comes to preamps/amps, it is nice...and if you are getting that plus new PSU and new capacitors...and if these result in far greater quality sound...that does sound like a steal! Nice!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Don't think that price is confirmed yet, but the guy I spoke to did say that all new Ref 5s being built are SE. He said, unsurprisingly, that it takes you much closer to the sound of the 40.

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Reference 5 SE

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks Wizard,

Comparing these photos with a standard REF5 of an anxious friend, it seems that the upgrade will be simple to carry, if you keep the old button scheme. The output capacitors are changed, and a new lateral board is added with some more capacitors and inductors that connect in parallel with the main supply bank using two wires. ARC already had a preamplfier that added had a board using this type of fixing - the LS2 that could be upgraded to LS2b status adding an extra board in this position. I remember watching our distributor technician fitting it to my preamplfier - some extra holes had to be drilled to fix the the board using spacers.

Happily the main PCB is the same, allowing an upgrade.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the picture Wizard,
and thanks for the headsup Micro on what looks different.
I will ask Absolute Sounds in New Year about the upgrade for my Ref5.
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the picture Wizard,
and thanks for the headsup Micro on what looks different.
I will ask Absolute Sounds in New Year about the upgrade for my Ref5.
Cheers
Orb

Happy Holidays Orb! Pls let us know how it goes with upgrade! I bet you will find it worthwhile. I have not been disappointed yet when hearing (or hearing about) PSU, capacitor upgrades...particularly for that level of cost (given that it is from the manufacturer directly and hence inclusive of manufacturer warranty, etc).

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Just as FYi. I found a truly remarkable Ref 5 upgrade a while ago. Its called a VTL 7.5 III. Sorry folks, a serious comparison favors the VTL quite decidedly although let's be honest, but are quite excellent. In my case, the ability to drive a long cable run to the amps may have been the key parameter favoring the VTL 7.5 III, whose SS output state seems suited to the task. I also love the idea of using a single pair of 12AU7s to modify the sound of my system to find the best sonic match. Telefunkens, Mullards and Phillips offer very attractive and easily interchangable options in the VTL 7.5. It's truly a masterpiece.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing