Recommendations for Dining And Shopping in Hong Kong

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
We'll be arriving in Central between 8 and 9pm of Thursday. I haven't been to Spring Deer since I was a kid!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great to hear, Steve. Welcome to Hong Kong.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome to Asia Steve :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since Phil is coming in at 11am on Thur, and Steve and Cathy are here Wed, want to meet at Spring Deer on Thursday evening for the best Peking Duck in town? What time are you arriving?

Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to make it for Thursday dinner, have an errand to run with my sister. Have a great time with the Ducks. :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Our hotel is terrific. Complimentary breakfast daily is probably the best Ive ever seen. They have a juice bar that was probably the best juices I've ever had.

Phil will you be able to connect tonight with Jack, Keith Cathy and I.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Our hotel is terrific. Complimentary breakfast daily is probably the best Ive ever seen. They have a juice bar that was probably the best juices I've ever had.

Phil will you be able to connect tonight with Jack, Keith Cathy and I.

Hi Steve,

Great to hear you and Cathy are having a great time so far.

I have to run an errand with my sister this afternoon in another district and it might run till night. I'll play it by ear and get updates as to where you are later. Am waiting for my flight out at the gate.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil

Make it happen. Let's get together tonight. Have a safe flight. It is a beautiful city.

I'm perked up. It's a city that never sleeps. I think Jack too. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm perked up. It's a city that never sleeps. I think Jack too. :D

Only because I'm getting old!

Keith on his way here then off we go to the airport. Yeah baby!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very excited for you guys...Hong Kong is one amazing city. I have been very fortunate to go many times. I always remember the smell of the salty sea air when it certain parts of Asia...and the smell of char siu and dim sum!!! ;) Enjoy!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Arrived a couple of hours ago. Doing some family errands now in a nearby district. Will try to message you Steve when I get free.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Flight delayed supposed to depart at 8pm if lucky. That means we'll be getting in close to midnight. Don't wait up guys. See you tomorrow morning.

Steve do you still have my phone number? Shoot me a viber.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hope all of you are OK with the big storm!

There are more fancy cars in Hong Kong than most any place in the world. Although there is a low income tax, HK charges a 100% or so tax on new cars. I know they had some lower tax for electric cars, like Teslas and the BMW i8, so they were relative bargains. If you live in the main part of the city, you can only drive at 30mph or so max, for just a few miles at most! My brother in law was an executive with one of the big banks before he retired. He had one of the big perks, a parking space at his office in central. He would drive from home to work and back, a distance of about 1 mile! Almost faster to walk.

The Peninsula Hotel (on the Kowloon side) have had fleets of green Rolls-Royces to pick up their guests and take them around town! I was a consultant on the Hong Kong Space Museum back in 1979, making the Peninsula very unhappy by blocking their view of the harbour (it was on government land - part of the old railroad yard - you can still see the old clock tower at the Star Ferry next door). They eventually built a tower on the hotel so at least some of the guests could see the harbour over the exterior egg shaped dome of the planetarium.

Larry

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good to see you last night, Steve!

I would be surprised if you were not beat after 1 full day of walking around the streets of Hong Kong. Nathan road in Kowloon is awesomely lively.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing