Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuesday Night came and went with a wonderful evening of live music.

This time it was Nickel Creek with The Secret Sisters as the opening act performed at the 2500 seat Taft Theater in downtown Cincinnati.

Dre

Nice. I'm going to see them in about a week when they come to Seattle. Have you ever seen the Punch Brothers in concert?

Nice. I'm going to see them in about a week when they come to Seattle. Have you ever seen the Punch Brothers in concert?

Sean. You are going to really enjoy the performance. They still play well together. I think the are playing better together now than before, if that is even possible...

No, I have not seen the Punch Brothers in concert.

Dre

Sean. You are going to really enjoy the performance. They still play well together. I think the are playing better together now than before, if that is even possible...

No, I have not seen the Punch Brothers in concert.

Dre

Cool. I'm looking forward to it.

For those that don't know, Chris Thile of Nickel Creek is part of The Punch Brothers. They are awesome as well. I've been to a couple of their concerts and they can really play. Check em out.

Dre, did you buy the new Nickel Creek album? I'm still waiting for mine to show up.
It may seem funny to some but I'm waiting on the LP which I was told at the concert it would be soon but was delayed.

They did have the new album CD there but I prefer to get the vinyl when available.

Dre

It may seem funny to some but I'm waiting on the LP which I was told at the concert it would be soon but was delayed.

They did have the new album CD there but I prefer to get the vinyl when available.

Dre

I ordered the LP. Probably why it has not shown up yet. The CD comes with the LP so you get both anyway.

I'm guessing the LP is sourced from digital. I like the LP versions of the past Nickel Creek releases more than the CD's or SACD's, so it may be the case with this release as well.

Just got home from hearing a very pregnant Eilen Jewell at the Tractor Tavern. She'll be off the road for a while but has new studio and live LP's in the queue. Band is great with guitarist Jimmy Miller a real standout.

This evening.

Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert and then a surprise extra Haydn Minuetto...3rd Row. It was nice to come home and be able to play each of the quartets (incl Beethoven by Endellion). The Wilsons acquitted themselves well. The Endellion Quartet played beautifully, and an absolutely remarkable Schubert.

Endellion_String_Quartet_webdec12_0.jpg

Couple of weeks ago. Saw the Friday night, Carnegie Hall performance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/a...the-bavarian-in-berlioz-and-shostakovich.html

Berlioz was amazing especially the last movement Dream of a Witches' Sabbath. Percussionist's wet dream scored for two bass drums, tympani, kettle drums and snare drums. :) No system's going to do that justice!

Yes! Big difference between a string quartet and a full blown orchestra for a system to 'mimic'...but wouldn't it be fun if it could?

Couple of weeks ago. Saw the Friday night, Carnegie Hall performance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/a...the-bavarian-in-berlioz-and-shostakovich.html

Berlioz was amazing especially the last movement Dream of a Witches' Sabbath. Percussionist's wet dream scored for two bass drums, tympani, kettle drums and snare drums. :) No system's going to do that justice!

Myles,
I think you now understand better why I consider Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony a real challenge, particularly in last three minutes. The Berlioz percussion is amazing, but the Shostakovitch finale maximizes the energy of the full orchestra and hall.

Myles,
I think you now understand better why I consider Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony a real challenge, particularly in last three minutes. The Berlioz percussion is amazing, but the Shostakovitch finale maximizes the energy of the full orchestra and hall.

No arguments! :)

Actually all three, the Adams, Strauss and Berlioz were large scale pieces.

One had to love the Adams, especially if you like Stravinsky. The opening and closing bars of the piece had snippets taken from Song of the Nightingale.

BTW, agreed with the reviewer vis a vis the cellphones. It's becoming an epidemic of idiotic proportion. Friday night was stormy and two boxes from us, some moron had their phone on and the whole audience heard the grating sound of the storm warning. And yes, the conductor was forced to hold up the piece for someone elses phone. It isn't as if there isn't a notice posted right before the concert begins to turn off one's cell phone. Can't they read?????

World Party at City Winery 2014/05/30

The always delightful World Party at the exquisite City Winery in SoHo. Resting my elbow on the stage . . . I never understand how I can be this close to the action in Manhattan. Close enough to read the Meyer Sound label on the back of the monitor. Wonderful show._DSC6404.jpg_DSC6412.jpg

World Party was amazing at World Cafe Live in Philly on Fri. The crowd was so appreciative and loving.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing