Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys I would put my pic up but better to keep this a boys only forum

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Ron and Bob,

In a world of increasing social media ubiquity, I am perhaps an anomaly in that despite being in my early forties and working in advertising, I am not on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Twitter or any other platform for that matter (1), and neither is anyone else in our family.

There are a bunch of reasons why (time being one), but the overwhelming factor is the protection of our privacy online. We are the parents of three young children, who are growing up in a culture obsessed with self-image vis-à-vis the Other (i.e. "I am who I am perceived to be") and the proliferation and leveraging of their ‘status’ via virtual means manifest in "likes" and "views". Look, I get it - as I believe I’ve said only recently, it’s the artist not the brush. It’s stupid to get upset because someone might misuse a tool, of course. But to me, it seems equally stupid to ignore the socio-cultural oceanic morass that has formed around its usage, and the insistent power of the current that drags many into cruel exchanges belittling our ability to communicate and interact with one another with some semblance of humanity, leading many to create identities for themselves that actively undermines any notion of authenticity of self.

In an effort to lead by example to our pre-teen children, we feel it’s better to sacrifice whatever upside there might be to having a presence online (in which our real identities are commodified for profit) in order to safe-guard their intellect and emotions against the many downsides as they head toward a future which will likely only become more commodified and more virtual. Though I appreciate many here will feel differently, our take is that a degree of anonymity can be a wonderful thing, given that even the news stories I click on in order to stay informed about the world I live in can be used to create data that collates my personal information for the purposes of targeted marketing to fuel an agenda of unbridled invasive capitalism, in which I the consumer no longer choose the products - the products choose me.

For those that feel differently, I pass no judgement on their willingness to use their real names and identities here. And should more wish to do so, then I can only commend them for their transparency. It’s just not for me, and despite the gratitude I feel to be part of this “community” I’ll continue to participate anonymously.

Best,

853guy*

*Not my real name.

(1) I am a member of two forums however, this and an F1 site, reduced down from many previous ones for the sake of my sanity.

You are right to do this, IMO. The social media sites have been ENGINEERED to attract and addict people. It is not an accident, it is exploitation of human "blindspots". Steve Jobs would not let his children play with the Ipad for example...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
853, I love your turn of phrase, and pretty much agree w you 100%.
I have plenty of my own reasons to not to go too far into the virtual world, indeed WBF is the only online thing I personally contribute to.
And like all the best Marvel super heroes, I prefer to keep my identity secret and have my alter ego moniker only.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Funny, Dr. Strange. I was always a DC guy

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
You are right to do this, IMO. The social media sites have been ENGINEERED to attract and addict people. It is not an accident, it is exploitation of human "blindspots". Steve Jobs would not let his children play with the Ipad for example...

spiritofmusic said:
853, I love your turn of phrase, and pretty much agree w you 100%.
I have plenty of my own reasons to not to go too far into the virtual world, indeed WBF is the only online thing I personally contribute to.
And like all the best Marvel super heroes, I prefer to keep my identity secret and have my alter ego moniker only.

Hello gents,

After Evan Williams left Twitter he and his wife ensured their children had limited access to technology, and instead invested in organic farming techniques and actual physical books (1).

That we're moving toward that sort of thing with our own kids, with limited screen time only on certain days and for a short period of time with no internet access doesn't mean we've eliminated technology completely (our ten year-old has an AKAI MPC Touch to make music on connected to a lap top), just that we prefer to keep a very low technology and online profile in general.

Says the man, who spends eighteen hours a day online, as a freelancer to advertising clients in nine countries around the world. Someday I hope and pray the that the status quo of "do as I say not as I do" will dissipate more rapidly, but PSET amps and custom mountain bikes don't grow on trees, right? (2)

Best,

853guy

(1) As told to Nick Bilton in "Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal". Recommended.

(2) Having your hypocrisy exposed by your children is one of life's more humbling experiences. I except this to occur more frequently as they approach their teenage years.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bonzo, you are a mind reader.
Dr. Strange is THE man.
Or should I say is THE doc.
DC? You've got so much to explore, Marvel were the bright star in comics in the 60s and 70s, plus X Men and Daredevil in 80s onwards.
Just check out the artwork of Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, Barry Smith, Frank Brunner, Frank Miller, trounces anything DC did at the time.
Granted Dark Knight returns and Death Of Superman tipped things back to DC.
But the Silver and Bronze Ages of comics '61-'80s belongs to Marvel.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
853guy. You are one very, very wise father.

I no longer have young children but even one of my grown daughters is afflicted by acquiring "likes" etc. And one of my granddaughters (she's 12) has an iPhone permanently attached to her left hand, already posting on some of the various sites Very difficult to observe.

Raising children has never been an easy task. But I sure would not want to be doing so today.

Keep up the good work Mr. 853guy!! I highly commend you!

As for posting a picture of myself? If it is critical for someone to figure out what I look like, there are ways to do that.

As a side story, I met my wife on eHarmony about 10 years ago. And you are encourage to provide multiple photos of yourself. One of my posted photos was of Robert Redford with the sub caption of: "me, prior to my face lift". So I guess I could post that photo here :D

So, here I am (I was always jealous of his hair):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 9.29.59 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 9.29.59 AM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
853guy. You are one very, very wise father.

I no longer have young children but even one of my grown daughters is afflicted by acquiring "likes" etc. And one of my granddaughters (she's 12) has an iPhone permanently attached to her left hand, already posting on some of the various sites Very difficult to observe.

Raising children has never been an easy task. But I sure would not want to be doing so today.

Keep up the good work Mr. 853guy!! I highly commend you!

As for posting a picture of myself? If it is critical for someone to figure out what I look like, there are ways to do that.

As a side story, I met my wife on eHarmony about 10 years ago. And you are encourage to provide multiple photos of yourself. One of my posted photos was of Robert Redford with the sub caption of: "me, prior to my face lift". So I guess I could post that photo here :D

Hi audioguy,

Wise? Perhaps. I think it’s more true to say I am still gratefully married to their very, very wise mother (my hat is off to single parents). Knowledge is cheap, wisdom comes at a price, and we’ve both had to count the cost of our own mistakes many times. Many of the life lessons I’ve learnt have been through discovering what not to do, much to the shock and horror of some of my still-single friends who appear bemused we didn’t have it all figured out from the very start… (I wish).

In any case, the challenges each generation has to face are of course different (our kids don’t have cellphones and we’ll delay crossing that bridge until at least teenagerdom), but personally I would have not wanted to raise children during my grandparent’s generation where wallpaper was peeled so the glue made from flour and water could be used for food (true story). Now it seems like we have a sort of polar opposite in that we’re attempting to instil values and build character in the midst of wealth and instant gratification, rather than in the midst of lack and perseverance. That this is the most fatherless generation in which war and disease are not the reasons for absenteeism means I’m very aware being a father today is a steep learning curve (which very few men seem to want to acknowledge, let alone discuss), especially given my own father has many regrets in the way he parented us, but that we can still learn much from previous generations should not of course lead us to repeat their mistakes.

Funny you posted Mr. Redford’s image. I was trying to think of whom I’d consider worthy of playing me in a film, and the best answer I came up with was Paul Newman circa 1963. That I look nothing like him is no reason to have him not be cast, despite the fact he now looks nothing like that either.

Paul Newman.jpg

My best to you,

853guy

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello gents,

After Evan Williams left Twitter he and his wife ensured their children had limited access to technology, and instead invested in organic farming techniques and actual physical books (1).

That we're moving toward that sort of thing with our own kids, with limited screen time only on certain days and for a short period of time with no internet access doesn't mean we've eliminated technology completely (our ten year-old has an AKAI MPC Touch to make music on connected to a lap top), just that we prefer to keep a very low technology and online profile in general.

Says the man, who spends eighteen hours a day online, as a freelancer to advertising clients in nine countries around the world. Someday I hope and pray the that the status quo of "do as I say not as I do" will dissipate more rapidly, but PSET amps and custom mountain bikes don't grow on trees, right? (2)

Best,

853guy

(1) As told to Nick Bilton in "Hatching Twitter: A True Story of Money, Power, Friendship, and Betrayal". Recommended.

(2) Having your hypocrisy exposed by your children is one of life's more humbling experiences. I except this to occur more frequently as they approach their teenage years.

We know it will come but so far we have not been exposing our child to either the PC or a smartphone or Tablet. This might be the one time that being a social outcast is actually good for you...the stuff is positively, absolutely addictive and snags even "non-addictive types"...you know those who are generally immune to the common addictions of drugs, gambling, sex etc.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Dear Ron Resnick and Bobvin,

I don't judge other people's choice, but I sure do respect them all. If you are comfortable with your picture's face for your avatar and real name it is 100% fine; you are two professional and highly esteemed members.

Ron you are a pro writer (Mono & Stereo), and a good one @ that; your job is highly social in the professional world.

Bob, you are a wine lover, and many of us we also love wine. And we all love music, or we wouldn't be here with avatars representing our listening rooms, favorite music bands, musical instruments, all that jazz.

Peace, and highest respect in everything life is offering to everyone on planet Earth, including the free choice we all make.
Let the music flow freely without discontentment. ...The music we listen to and love and pick.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bob, thank you for your sweet comments, but, as usual, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
I don't judge other people's choice, .

This is, sadly, rare in this hobby.

Frankly, I think the anonymity of the internet, or seeming anonymity, is the real problem.

A shame it evolved as such.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I could give a Rat's A$$.... My photos (and the wife) are posted all over the internet. My studio website even has my home address and phone#. So what????

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used to meet women on first dates and have a discussion on privacy despite both of us publicly posting our profile over all dating sites

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I was a member @ AudioCircle, @ AudioAficionado, @ AudioKarma, @ AudioShark, @ AVSForum, @ HomeTheaterShack, @ ... and the percentage of people using avatars of their real faces plus their real names is approximately less than one percent. Here @ WBF it is no different.

There are sites for that; like Instagram, Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Snapshat, Skype, etc. Those are for the hardcore social stars.
Here it's an audio forum, like Audiogon, like ASR, like TheAbsoluteSound's blog, like Stereophile's blog, like 6Moons' blog, like ...
It's a mix of audio professional audiophiles, audio writers, audio reviewers, audio dealers, audio customers, audio music lovers, audio guests, audio people, audio clientele, audio experts, audio scientists, audio designers, audio engineers, audio magazines, audio humorists, audio travellers, audio thinkers, audio philosophers, audio poets, audio explorers, experienced audio all related best, audio chiefs, audio gurus, audio fans, audio bands, audio musicians, audio artists, audio philanthropists, audio contributors, audio donors, audio neurosurgeons, audio psychologists, audio psychiatrists, audio members, audio entrepreneurs, audio investors, audio audio audio and everything else where you can put audio with and within; in cars, in boats, in planes, on vacation, in campers, with wine, with friends, with designer clothing and jewelry, with a Cuban cigar, in space, in technology, in development, in rockets, @ the hospital, with drugs, with medicine, when sitting, standing, moving, canoeing (iPod), while having a social gathering, a party, a discussion about a new electronic car, with movies, on the run, on clouds, on ice cream, with cherries, while jogging, bicycling, racing, climbing, swimming, on the elevator, on top of the world (Everest).

Real names with real faces we all have, we simply don't all use. It's fun too to use usernames and avatars of our choice in a modern computerized civilized world without offending one single person out of the 7.65 billion of us living on this planet today. The challenge is one of greatness for the entire humanity in a peaceful universal harmony.

Reality is not necessarily what we all hope for. We can only do our very best around our entourage, by giving, sharing and being inviting.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bob, thank you for your sweet comments, but, as usual, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

+1
, since it is coming from Bob then it is likely sweet... and you're not alone in not having any idea of what he's talking about :D

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
To be somewhat on topics

I love photography but hates to be photographed... so it is likely my avatar won't change as for the screen name it is close enough to my real name for those who care enough about my real name to find it. I find this very thin (inexistent? :)) layer of anonymity somewhat comforting.
Delusion? Perhaps. Not a life and death issue so I am all good with it :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To be somewhat on topics

I love photography

To be somewhat on topics, do you use mobile phone cameras? Just asking because you love audio but still use class D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing