Racks or racket?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It all makes a difference, but a fancy rack will not address other shortcomings in set-up (Audioguy) and may not compensate for springy floors (Mike L). I briefly had the Finite Elemente rack designed for my turntable (the big Kuzma) and it wouldn't overcome the springy floor. The solution turned out to be a massive old Chinese prayer table, and a combination of HRS platform and big chunks of sorbothane. Looks good, works great, given the floor, but I can't wait until I can set it up on a concrete platform.
I have had great success using the Grand Prix Monaco stuff with all the bells and whistles, the carbon shelves, apex footers, etc. You could clearly hear a difference in the use of different ball bearings in the footers. But, at that point, we are not talking cost effectiveness, instead tweakism of the sort that makes some skeptical (I do have a stash of Peter Belt stuff, but that's a whole other story):). All those little pucks, cones, etc. make a difference, whether better or worse, depends on the equipment and what you are trying to achieve. I also bought some of the Grand Prix stuff used, which was a big cost savings- just make sure to refresh the little isolation pads since they lose their resiliance over time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing