Queen of Versailles

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
You want to laugh at, or hate these people, but you can't. He is a developer of time shares, claimed to be the biggest, operating numerous resorts, and just opened the crown jewel of his empire in Vegas, a glitzy high rise time share. (The concept is, sell people for a small downpayment, the right to access a unit for defined periods of time each year. The operation depends on those willing to fork out a modest amount of cash upfront who would otherwise not pay for luxury hotels, but to me, the numbers wouldn't make sense for a 'buyer').
She is a bodacious blonde with a penchant for shopping, glitz and little dogs that crap all over the floor. They have the jet, the cars, the big house (modest, only 26,000 sq feet) packed to the gills with awful stuff, and a huge staff.
They are in the process of building the largest private residence in the United States, a sort of bad Florida version of Versaille, at 90,000 sq feet. And have been collecting fake Louis X!V, statues, gilded everything to furnish it.
Then the financial crash hits. The money dries up- since his business depended on the banks taking his paper on the contracts from time share buyers. And no more prospects- nobody is 'buying' these units. He is under extreme financial pressure. She still takes the limo and driver, but they go to WalMart, rather than Neiman-Marcus. The kids are eating junk food, the house is still filled with the worst array of junk and the little dogs are still crapping all over the floor.
A character study in what happens to people in a situation not much different than 10s of thousands - or millions- of others who got hit hard during the still on-going financial crisis. Except that they are wealthy, at least based on how money was made before the music stopped. And that's where the story is. To some extent, most of us are driven by an element of consumerism, the desire to amass wealth, or just 'get ahead.' This is the American Dream turned into a grotesque, dark and often funny nightmare.
I found myself touched by these folks- he's a real guy, and doesn't come off like an *******. She is also a down to earth gal, despite the botox, the big breasts, and the blonde attitude.
It's somewhat depressing; it's not like you get a vicarious thrill from seeing the mighty fall. And, in some ways, ennobling- both of them are going to get through it. The movie was filmed over the course of a couple years.
Worth a watch if you like documentaries, or just want to see the American Dream at its worst.

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think they were on 60 minutes or another show like that before because I saw their story and their half-finished mansion at the time.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
They are certainly entitled to buy what they can afford, and the construction of the house will employ many people, so he is actually helping the job market.

I like that they will have nine kitchens plus a sushi bar, but I wonder who is going to eat all the sushi before it rots?

The house has two theaters, but they never mentioned a good two channel room!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Seen his wife in a adult version of the queen of versaille
based on the the life of marie antoinette called : Let them eat cock

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I don't know how much the guy has, but I wouldn't spend the money that way. If I had a few hundred million laying around, I'd go with maybe a 10,000 sq.ft. space and a handful of nice paintings. You can dress a place up nicely with the proper mix of a Pollock, a Degas or two, a Rothko or a Kandinsky and maybe a Camille Claudel sculpture for the finishing touch. Toss in a Velasquez, if you have enough money left, and you've touched almost all the bases.

But, everybody has a different dream, right? Whatever turns them on is fine with me. It's their money. Me? I've had a decent enough run, so I'm pretty happy as-is. :)

Everything is relative.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't know how much the guy has, but I wouldn't spend the money that way. If I had a few hundred million laying around, I'd go with maybe a 10,000 sq.ft. space and a handful of nice paintings. You can dress a place up nicely with the proper mix of a Pollock, a Degas or two, a Rothko or a Kandinsky and maybe a Camille Claudel sculpture for the finishing touch. Toss in a Velasquez, if you have enough money left, and you've touched almost all the bases.

But, everybody has a different dream, right? Whatever turns them on is fine with me. It's their money. Me? I've had a decent enough run, so I'm pretty happy as-is. :)

Everything is relative.

Was it Joe E. Lewis who said "Happiness can't buy you money?" :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing