QSA : My take on their expensive products

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
Your sentiment is absolutely understandable.
I tried both QSA and QSA-Lanedri products only because they had a return policy, and let my ears decide if it’s worth it.
See my review of the cables. I had the same concerns.
I look at it from a scientific point of view. Because I see no relative measurements/comparisons demonstrated. Especially on what I call a macro device (a device that easily changed that everything counts on it. Power cords speaker cords, etc ) where comparison tests can be performed by anyone.

I make, design, re-design, and modify some studio audio devices. So I know what would be relative in a change in performance. A fuse wouldn't change the performance for the better unless there was an instantaneous peak delivery issue which only occurs if the wrong fuse type is installed in the first place.

Edit: Where is the thread about their cables? I'm interested what you said about them.

Last edited:

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I look at it from a scientific point of view. Because I see no relative measurements/comparisons demonstrated. Especially on what I call a macro device (a device that easily changed that everything counts on it. Power cords speaker cords, etc ) where comparison tests can be performed by anyone.

I make, design, re-design, and modify some studio audio devices. So I know what would be relative in a change in performance. A fuse wouldn't change the performance for the better unless there was an instantaneous peak delivery issue which only occurs if the wrong fuse type is installed in the first place.

Edit: Where is the thread about their cables? I'm interested what you said about them.

My review was #518.

All that matters is your own enjoyment of your system, and if that individual wants to believe one thing or another, that's great. If you prefer scientific principals, statistically justified delta, and psychoacoustic modeling that the delta = better sound, that's fine -- and I get it. But then I feel your argument would apply to not only QSA, but the majority of digital playback, cables, tweaks, isolation, etc., as not having any measurable delta.

Personally, I can't measure a lot of things. Doesn't mean it's not there. Tons of smart, highly successful and heavily titled folks on these forums. To each to their own.

Reactions: Willgolf

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
Personally, I can't measure a lot of things. Doesn't mean it's not there. Tons of smart, highly successful and heavily titled folks on these forums. To each to their own.

I have to admit the regular IEC cord is weak sauce, But looking at their cord looks like they are addressing the common issues associated with unbalanced and some balanced interconnects. Because if you incorporate the fix in the unit it does not currently pass UL compliance. I know because I had something rejected after putting in that circuit that I put into the power supply of my unlisted studio gear I build from time to time.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I look at it from a scientific point of view. Because I see no relative measurements/comparisons demonstrated.
Science tells us that conclusions can’t be drawn from the lack of evidence. But with these products, there actually exists an abundance of evidence - it’s evidence that’s been gathered from observation.

Observe: “To note, record, or attend to a result, occurrence, or phenomenon. Though we typically think of observations as having been made ‘with our own eyes,’ in science, observations may be made directly (by seeing, feeling, hearing, tasting, or smelling) or indirectly using tools.“ Source is Berkeley University.

Evidence: “Test results and/or observations that may either help support or help refute a scientific idea.“ Source also Berkeley University.

One of the strangest ironies of audio is that many who claim they want to look at things scientifically tend to ignore or discount observations. Observation is an essential part of science. It’s a really good sign that you expressed interest in reading about what keithc observed. I’ve posted observations in that thread too, as have many others who are even better at expressing what they observed.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013

I can think off hand of no field or endeavor in life where beyond the strictly physical quality is wholly measurable by instrumentation or data. In audio, even double-blind study attempts have a subjective element at core. What is measurable, so to speak, is how one likes a piece of equipment, that is, how it jibes tonally and in pitch with their listening tastes (leaving aside other factors, since if one doesn’t enjoy it, or can’t afford it, it doesn’t matter). It’s just like most everything else in life (giving examples and qualifications to that general statement goes beyond the scope of the this thread’s topic).

Reactions: Willgolf

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I also wonder how much of a difference there is between QSA and the Synergistic Research Master or new Pink fuse?

sparkie

Dec 7, 2023
Rapid City, South Dakota
I can think off hand of no field or endeavor in life where beyond the strictly physical quality is wholly measurable by instrumentation or data. In audio, even double-blind study attempts have a subjective element at core. What is measurable, so to speak, is how one likes a piece of equipment, that is, how it jibes tonally and in pitch with their listening tastes (leaving aside other factors, since if one doesn’t enjoy it, or can’t afford it, it doesn’t matter). It’s just like most everything else in life (giving examples and qualifications to that general statement goes beyond the scope of the this thread’s topic).
There is only a few things you can address by inserting a circuit on a power cord. Because a lot of people address what could be wrong with power, but can not address the ground side problems with this sector's ground on the RCA connections. If you do in the appliance, the it fails UL standards. But their standards can be changed in due time. In pro audio gear, the xlr output pin1 is through a resistor to ground instead of directly connected. So the input of the next stage gnd does not cause a loop when connected. Unfortunately, only the studio sector has been able to take advantage of this when they buy my products or a dozen or so other boutique pro audio products. But we can't sell them in stores because they want it to be UL listed and it can't be listed.

So, that is my take on the power cord with the mystery circuit. They basically figured out what other people did, and put it into a power cord.

And your mileage, or results might vary depending on the system setup and if the issue is address in another way or not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing