Putin Stole Kraft's Super Bowl Ring

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Has anyone seen the news story about Putin stealing Robert Kraft's Super Bowl ring? Apparently Kraft went to Russia and had an audience with Putin and he showed him one of his Super Bowl Rings. Putin took the ring, said he could kill someone with it, and then stuck it in his pocket. Kraft was too intimidated by all of the KBG goons standing around to ask for it back. This is now an international story, so Putin will have to respond. My guess is he will say that he thought Kraft gave him the ring as a present and it was just a simple misunderstanding. If he doesn't, then he will just look like a common thief in the eyes of the world.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Do you really think Putin cares? He's already a thug!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Maybe Putin plans to throw it into the lava of Mt. Doom and save the world.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Putin offers ring to make peace with Patriots football owner

Reuters

ST PETERSBURG, Russia (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin is calling a truce in the War of the Ring - sort of.
Accused of pocketing a diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring that New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft showed him back in 2005, Putin came up with a peace offering, albeit barbed.
"You know, I remember neither Mr Kraft nor a ring," Putin said when asked about the incident during an economic forum on Friday in St Petersburg - the city where the ring saga started.
"I remember some souvenirs were handed out. But if it is so precious to Kraft and the team, I have a proposal," Putin said - he would ask a Russian jeweler to make "something really good, noticeable - so that it is clear that it is an expensive thing, with good metal and a stone."
The Russian ring could "be handed down from generation to generation of the team that Mr Kraft represents", he said, and would be "the smartest, most partner-like solution to this difficult international issue."
In a statement back in 2005, Kraft said he had decided to give Putin the ring as a gesture of goodwill.
But the matter resurfaced last week when the New York Post reported that Kraft had told an award ceremony audience recently he had intended only to show Putin the ring, but that the Russian leader had taken it and not given it back.
"I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out," the Post quoted Kraft as saying of the ring he wore after the Patriots beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl in February 2005.
He was quoted as saying Putin had remarked that he could "kill someone" with the hefty ring.
Around 70 Super Bowl rings are given to the winning team in the annual American football championship.
The New York Post reported that Kraft said he had wanted the ring back but that the White House, then under President George W. Bush, had told him it would be better for relations with Moscow if he treated it as a gift.
While the Kremlin has been at pains to parry the Post report - Putin's spokesman said on Sunday the ring at issue had clearly been meant as a gift - Kraft may actually be taking the incident less seriously.
A statement on the National Football League website earlier this week quoted the Patriots as saying the tale of Putin and the ring is one Kraft likes to tell for laughs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Too bad we don't know what the truth is. Either Kraft gave it to him as a gift, or Putin thought it was a gift, or Putin just out and out stole it. Based on Putin's personality, I wouldn't be surprised that he just took the damn ring.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing