Pure Pleasure Records

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Recently I bought a Budd Johnson's The Definitive Black & Blue Sessions, Pure Pleasure Records. I enjoy the vinyl greatly. I am wondering how other find records from this label. And I would very much appreciate if you guys could recommend interesting albums from their catalog pictured below.

7D65F6B0-4DD7-4745-87BC-C5629AB7F716.jpeg
1568565C-ADB4-4C0D-90D6-8000BD534FCC.jpeg

Thank you,
Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
According to my music spreadsheet I own 4 Pure Pleasure pressings:

1 - Mingus Presents Charles Mingus
2 - God Bless the Child - Burrell
3 - Jefferson Airplane - Bless Its Pointed Little Head
4 - Keb Mo - Back by Popular Demand

My recollection is that all 4 albums sound excellent. I have listened to the Keb Mo LP the most and it is outstanding.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
After MFs 100 AAA-LP recommendation I bought the Cassandra Wilson - Belly of the sun. Love the music (her characteristic voice, the variety in her music styles), but sound quality and pressing quality are great too.

Alexlife

Jan 22, 2020
Thank you for the information, because I was thinking about purchase some new albums.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I have ordered a whole bunch of their releases for the store, as they have been reissuing a lot of spiritual jazz titles, from labels such as Strata East and Nimbus. Originals of those are $$$, so the reissues are always welcome.
I have listened to a few, and they sound great, but none of those are particularly great recordings as far as sound quality. Just great music.
Their releases are quite spendy ($30+) and go out of print fast.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I bought the Pure Pleasure Strata East recordings and have been very impressed. I highly recommend Clifford Jordan's Glass Bead Games, great example of post bop jazz. I did extensive A/B comparison between my perfect original copy ($200) and the PP copy ($50) and found that I slightly preferred the PP copy.

Reactions: asiufy

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I bought the Pure Pleasure Strata East recordings and have been very impressed. I highly recommend Clifford Jordan's Glass Bead Games, great example of post bop jazz. I did extensive A/B comparison between my perfect original copy ($200) and the PP copy ($50) and found that I slightly preferred the PP copy.

Does that mean you are interested in selling the original copy??? ;)

Reactions: jeff1225

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing