Problem with buying used jazz LPs

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Even if this guy was blind and graded his records by touch he would have felt that gouge. At least he took a picture of it so you could understand his version of the grading system. I wouldn't take that record if you gave it to me.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good grief! It appears as if he tried to wipe it clean with something slightly abrasive as well. Sad.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'd say only 1/3 of the NM records I buy off ebay are even playable. They are cheap though, and every once it a while, you get lucky with original pressings of pop stuff, e.g. i have a copy of Blood Sweat and Tears second album that is just killer.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'd say only 1/3 of the NM records I buy off ebay are even playable. They are cheap though, and every once it a while, you get lucky with original pressings of pop stuff, e.g. i have a copy of Blood Sweat and Tears second album that is just killer.

That LP is killer!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
jazz from this era are hard to find in NM cond and it was common knowledge that many original BN on thick wax seemed to be cut deeper and much of the diagonal scuffs werent obtrusive. ive said this before and it bears repeating to vinyl collecting noobs - music collectors are not audiophiles they dont understand their own grading system!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
jazz from this era are hard to find in NM cond and it was common knowledge that many original BN on thick wax seemed to be cut deeper and much of the diagonal scuffs werent obtrusive. ive said this before and it bears repeating to vinyl collecting noobs - music collectors are not audiophiles they dont understand their own grading system!

And in many an instance, despise audiophiles. I've had a few run (luckily only a very few!) ins with eBay refusing to refund my money for crap.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
As with anything used, you have to find reputable sellers. I never spend more than $25 on a first time purchase from a seller I haven't used before. Most sellers are concerned about their online reputations and I've had very few problems with the few records that were not close to being as advertised. I've purchased over 200 LPs on Ebay and until last month, never had a problem with a seller and Ebay handled this incident expeditiously and refunded my money.

I keep a list of favored sellers (and no I'm not sharing :)). Well, I'll share one: Euclid Records. If anything, their grading is conservative and their service is spectacular. The records are rarely screaming bargains but you NEVER have to worry about over-grading.

I'd rather buy a great record at a fair price than a fair record at a great price.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As with anything used, you have to find reputable sellers. I never spend more than $25 on a first time purchase from a seller I haven't used before. Most sellers are concerned about their online reputations and I've had very few problems with the few records that were not close to being as advertised. I've purchased over 200 LPs on Ebay and until last month, never had a problem with a seller and Ebay handled this incident expeditiously and refunded my money.

I keep a list of favored sellers (and no I'm not sharing :)). Well, I'll share one: Euclid Records. If anything, their grading is conservative and their service is spectacular. The records are rarely screaming bargains but you NEVER have to worry about over-grading.

I'd rather buy a great record at a fair price than a fair record at a great price.

Good advice doc! One sorts out the chaff and gets a list of vendors that you trust. Too many use that BS Goldmine grading system.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
eons ago, i used to buy a lot of EMis and deccas from a seller that advertised in the back pages of TAS. he had an encyclopedic knowledge of classical and opera music. he prob only dealt with (tolerated) TAS list buyers because they made him a lot of money, he depised much of the music and tried to talk me out of some of it suggesting older mono recordings with superior perfomances.

My rejection ratio was 50% with this guy and i knew id eat the return shipping if i wanted to do more business with him. to be honest his records probably graded higher on his system using a blunt stanton stylus and a sh!tty TT. then there's the "this record is so rare, who cares how it grades so you should accept my arbitrary NM grade" LOL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing