Problem with ARC REF150

Ed944t

Apr 15, 2021
Recently bought a Ref 150. When I check the bias 3 pairs of KT120 are OK. On the fourth pair one tube measures 65mV but the slave tube more than 24V!
There is no audible distortion or R/L unbalance in the volume. The concerning tube doesn't glow extensively and isn't extremely hot. Any advice???

Initially you could try swapping the good and bad tubes over and checking the bias again which will indicate the tube quality prior to investigating other possibilities
good luck

Reactions: Bobvin
A reading of 24V is probably due to a faulty cathode resistor - if you are using a multimeter, disconnect the power cable , put the multimeter in the 200 ohm range and measure the resistance between the test points - a good resistor should show between 1 and 2 ohm - the 1ohm cathode resistor added to the multimeter cables resistance.

Remember that the .065V reading is carried reading the voltage across the 1 ohm cathode resistors. No way a faulty tube can cause 24 amps going through a 1 ohm cathode resistor - it will usually blow the fuse or unfortunately sometimes the resistor .

In such case the tube is simply not operating - you should have less maximum power and somewhat lower sound quality due to an unbalanced push pull.

Last edited:
I was thinking about faulty measering points - is in fact the resistor- because the tube was glowing normal and wasn't running super hot.
But in case the tube is not working, should it then not glooiing at all??

I was thinking about faulty measering points - is in fact the resistor- because the tube was glowing normal and wasn't running super hot.
But in case the tube is not working, should it then not glooiing at all??
The glow you see is due to the filament - if a tube plate goes red it means it is getting too hot due to excessive plate current!

What was your final solution to this issue?
Hopefully it was not too expensive.

few of my clients have complained about ARC gear reliability issues especially stuff they are releasing in the last 10 years. Hope you get it sorted soon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing