Prince makes peace with Warner Brothers

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
From Variety....

Andrew Barker

Adding an amiable epilogue to one of the most public contract disputes in the history of the music business, Prince and Warner Bros. Records have come to terms on a global licensing partnership.

The wide-ranging deal grants the singer ownership of his master recordings, and allows Warners to digitally remaster and reissue Prince’s albums from 1978 through the 1990s. Financial details were not disclosed.

The announcement comes several months before the 30th anniversary of Prince’s soundtrack album, “Purple Rain,” which a press release confirmed would be the first record to get the deluxe reissue treatment, with others to follow. Prince also announced that a new studio album is “on the way.”

“Warner Bros. Records and Eye are quite pleased with the results of the negotiations and look forward to a fruitful working relationship,” said Prince, with his characteristic pronoun spelling, in a statement.

Such words would have been unimaginable two decades ago, when Prince’s disputes with the label — which had signed him to an enormous contract extension in 1992 — grew so fierce that he changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol and performed on kudocasts with the word “slave” scrawled on his face. Prince settled with Warner Bros. Records in 1996, and his most recent albums have been released independently through his own NPG Records imprint.

Released in June of 1984, “Purple Rain” has since been certified 13-times platinum by the RIAA.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hopefully he crossed out the inappropriate paragraphs in the contract this time.

Many artists tend to be horrible business people, but I also think it is pure laziness in a lot of bad business deals.

zz.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hopefully he crossed out the inappropriate paragraphs in the contract this time.

Many artists tend to be horrible business people, but I also think it is pure laziness in a lot of bad business deals.

zz.

whatever anyone might say, he is still a great performer

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I am looking forward to his new studio release. Think I'll spin 'Dirty Mind'.....

image.jpg

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Don't get him one bit. I watched his first song on SNL then turned him/them off.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Great band.

Between all the band members, I think they have more pedals on the floor than I've ever seen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing