Price Of Gas

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Here on the Florida southeast coast a number of stations are now selling gasoline for $1.89/gal.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Single stations in high-end neighborhoods routinely do that. If I had a station in La Jolla, I would charge $1.00 more :).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rent is higher in affluent neighbprhoods. At the base of Georgetwon and around the infamous Watergate hotel both are afluent waterfornt properties, prices are always higher.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Perhaps someone will know, but I'm always puzzled by the *huge* discrepancies in price between stations.
In La Jolla, there's this one particular station that charges at least $0.50 over other stations, and I'm talking about less than a mile away! I understand being in an out of the way place, with no other stations in sight, and charging more for gas, but not that...
I mean, how does the guy survive? What could he potentially offer, in terms of gasoline, that the other stations, at 50 cents less, can't offer?
Weird...

Real Estates.. Higher Rent? Taxes?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Gasoline taxes are (mostly, if not all) based 'per gallon' and not a percentage of the selling price (like sales tax), so low gas prices shouldn't influence the tax take:

View attachment 25551

Yesterday when I was looking @ that gas prices map of the United States of America (I spent 4:30 minutes analyzing it...roughly), I came to few conclusions/observations:
• The economics in different states are different.
• The traffic (highways, roads, airplanes, trains...) is different in every state.
• The business (oil) deals are obvious in certain states.
• The profits are enormous in the most active (population, traffic) states.
• United States of America is more divided than united.

The USA is a capitalist country, where oil is synonymous of power. That is one big aspect, there are many more...borders with Canada and Mexico...traffic.
...Not the immigrants and drug traffic and human traffic and cross border shopping for better prices, but the value of money, oil and car pollution.
In the air too...jet planes...as they consume a lot of gas for business dealers and tourism and travelers within and abroad.
Trains too consume the precious cargo...hi-end profitable commodity. Public services...buses, taxis, trucking companies, ...

What would be cool is to superimpose another map (transparent) on top of that one...related to the most clean to the most polluted air in each state.
...Just to see if gas prices have any related influence on the USA's environment.
...Climate changes too, and not just in North America but World wide.

And, is there more gas consumption or less when the gas prices change from very low to very high, and depending of the state, country, China, world?

Speaking of China...I wonder how much they pay for a gallon (imperial) of gas?
...About the Saudi Arabia? ...Dubai, where some cop cars are Lamborghini?

World wide gas prices is the world wide economy, after guns sales of course. ...And tanks and fighter jets they use gas too.
And we live everywhere...

But China...they have lots of people, and cars.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gas is $0.659/litre CDN at Costco in Calgary. That converts to $2.5042 CDN for US gallon (3.8litres) or $1.81 USD per gallon.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes but our Canadian dollar ain't worth much right now, so the comparison is tricky...not totally a verisimilitude.
So what? It's still the price you pay today. Oh, and the Canadian dollar ain't going anywhere for the next few years...at least not until the energy sector picks up steam.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I absolutely hate traveling through Oregon. You are not allowed to pump your own gas. I don't want hands or gas all over my shiny SL...!!

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I absolutely hate traveling through Oregon. You are not allowed to pump your own gas. I don't want hands or gas all over my shiny SL...!!

I drove in Oregon for the first time last summer and it drove me nuts. Everyone is driving the speed limit - you don't want to be the sole speeder so you go with the crowd. Incredibly stressful driving.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Bruce

I am shocked you've only filled it once since purchase

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
So what? It's still the price you pay today. Oh, and the Canadian dollar ain't going anywhere for the next few years...at least not until the energy sector picks up steam.

Yes but ... :D

Price wise that's the price (in US dollars). ...For Calgary, Canada. That's much much better than British Columbia, and Quebec.
Alberta is the coolest Canadian province; they have the Rockies, Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Mount Robson, oil, no audio electronic tax, and they have rodeos and wild southern regions reminiscent of the far west...Crowsnest Pass. ...The entire border between BC and Alberta is one of the most majestic scenery on the entire Canadian country land.

* Gas should be the same price as in Venezuela, in Alberta. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

But Oregon is a beautiful state to drive in...in the country side...mountains. I love the zigzagging roads driving a convertible sports car.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
But Oregon is a beautiful state to drive in...in the country side...mountains. I love the zigzagging roads driving a convertible sports car.

Yes beautiful state. When I had my car import business importing BMW's and Mercedes from Southern California into Canada, I would often drive them back through Oregon. I've taken almost every route through that state and it's impossible to make a bad choice. Although I ran out of gas in a BMW M3 convertible on highway 395 in eastern Oregon and had to wait for someone to come along and drive me to get gas. There was like a 200 mile stretch with absolutely nothing! I was 10 miles from the gas station when I ran out.

Since the tires on these cars had to be minimum 80% tread left to pass the inspection, if they were under that, I would burn the rubber almost down to the steel cords by the time I made it to Spokane. Then buy new ones at discount tire. Hard to beat drifting down some of the back mountain roads in the central cascades. Some awesome roads between 101 and I5 as well. There's a real nice mountain range between the coast and the I5.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think the term is "Garage Queen". The roads have been too wet of late. Can't wait for the Spring/Summer though!

I may take my car out for a spin tomorrow...un heard of in February where I live. Heavy rain just washed the salt off the roads. Thank you El Nino.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Last time I went there and proceeded to try to pump my own gas, I got chewed out so bad I thought they were going to report me to the police! That said, I didn't mind sitting in my car as they pumped my gas. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing