Preference vs. audibility - please keep them separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello mep.

There's an explanation here:
http://www.lammindustries.com/faq/expens.html

...and some test results here
http://www.lammindustries.com/faq/bhk.html#fig1

It seems to be the euphonic distortion 'model' i.e. aim to make THD the same across all frequencies and, above a certain level (probably unachievable below that level), ensure it increases with power, up to several percent at the higher outputs. I think the hi fi designers of old would be fascinated to know that THD of several percent (and correspondingly high IMD) is counted as a virtue in the 21st century!

Groucho,

Although you are careful enough not to compromise yourself when you write "It seems" , I would add it only seems to people who are still in the basic school of measurement interpretation. Anyone knowing how the Lamm's sounds would immediately tell you that its sound does not correspond to the "euphonic distortion model", so much used by a few of our members to denigrate tube equipment. Unhappily measurements are like icebergs - most of us you only see the tip.

If thinks were so easy, any one with DSP expertise could process a few digital files of known recordings with this effects and - voila - we would all have cheap Lamm ML3's.
Audiophiles all over the world could sell all their very expensive source and amplifier equipment and buy Wilson XLF's! (Apologies to Steve, I could not resist! ;))

BTW1, I never listened to Lamm equipment - my opinion son its sound are due to reports of tens of reviews and users.
BTW2, I consider myself in the lower middle school of measurement interpretation. :)

Last edited:
"euphonic distortion model", so much used by a few of our members to denigrate tube equipment. and vunyl plaback systems. not to worry they have granted us authrity to indulge our preference.

If you carefully read the article you posted the link to, you picked out the two criteria that Lamm used to make his point and he said those two parameters you mentioned were greatly oversimplifying his model which is really called the "Absolute Linearity of a System" (ALS) and is much more complicated than making THD the same across the frequencies being amplified and having THD increase as power increases.
Yes.... he never seems to have the time or space to explain it in depth.

By the way, I have invented a new kind of amplifier with a technology called 'Analogue Reality Synthesis Enhancement' which enhances the spatial cues already encoded in stereo recordings to create a new level of playback authenticity. Unfortunately I can't go into the very advanced mathematics here, because it is beyond the scope of this forum.

OK gentlemen. I believe this thread has ran its course and in the best interest of the forum, this thread will now be closed.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing