Pre amplifier recommendation

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
I would like to know if anyone knows and can recommend a stereo pre amplifier that has 2 pairs of XLR input and an RCA/XLR HT bypass. I currently have an electrocompaniet EC4.8 but i am looking for something better.

It does not matter if it is SS or tube, but i need at least 2 pairs of stereo XLR input.

Thanks in advance

Ash

audio

Aug 3, 2014
You might check out the Jeff Rowland Design Group's Capri S2. I think it would meet your requirements. They make higher priced preamps as well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Most Audio Research preamplifiers have several XLR inputs and HT bypass. Can we know what is the power amplifier?

ARC preamplifiers sound great with Electrocompaniet power amplifiers - I had a great sound with a AW250 and a REF2.

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
My systems is

Speakers: Kef reference 207/2
Source: Oppo 105 completely moded by rick schultz (amazing difference between the regular oppo and the EVS mod unit)
DAC: PS Audio Directstream
Preamp: Electrocompaniet EC4.8 (the one i want to replace)
Power amp: Bryston 28Bsst2 (really like these amps, in my system work even better than the passa amp x600.5)
Cables: All nordost Valhalla.
Power conditioner: PS Audio P10 power plant and Quantum QX4

I know that for american standards my system is just regular, but I really like what i hear and wanted to improve my preamp.
Maybe I think that adding a tube preamp, it would be a good aditttion for my system

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
I'll do the clichéd thing and recommend what I'm using, but only because it perfectly matches what you describe. Cary SLP-05. Two stereo XLR inputs. One XLR cinema bypass input that also works when the unit is turned off, a valuable feature for a tube preamp when you have rolled very expensive tubes into it. Also has corresponding RCA inputs, of course. Outstanding sound quality. Outstanding build quality. Great company. Works very well with my 28Bs. Look no further, IMO.

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
The Cary seems a very good option, how do you compare to the VTL 7.5 series 3 and the audio research 10 or 5SE?

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
The Cary seems a very good option, how do you compare to the VTL 7.5 series 3 and the audio research 10 or 5SE?

Of those you listed, I've only tried the ARC Ref 5 (non-SE) in my system. The ARC is airier, has a wider soundstage, and a bit more transparent. For me, it is a matter of flavor but I prefer the SLP-05 as it felt more dynamic with certain music. I can easily see why some would prefer the Ref 5, however, as my buddy who sold the 05 to me did to buy the Ref 5. I think if you listen primarily to acoustic, small jazz ensembles, and classical European music you might prefer the Ref 5, while if you tastes are quite broad the 05 might be more to your liking.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I love what I'm using. Pass Labs XP-30
Has 5 XLR or RCA inputs, HT bypass, tape loop and mono input. Also has balanced or SE output with second set of balanced/SE outputs for subs if needed. Can feed a long IC to your amps if needed. I'm using a 9m IC to my amps.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I would like to know if anyone knows and can recommend a stereo pre amplifier that has 2 pairs of XLR input and an RCA/XLR HT bypass. I currently have an electrocompaniet EC4.8 but i am looking for something better.

It does not matter if it is SS or tube, but i need at least 2 pairs of stereo XLR input.

Thanks in advance

Ash
I own a Lindemann 830S that will fit your requirements. PM me if interested.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I love what I'm using. Pass Labs XP-30
Has 5 XLR or RCA inputs, HT bypass, tape loop and mono input. Also has balanced or SE output with second set of balanced/SE outputs for subs if needed. Can feed a long IC to your amps if needed. I'm using a 9m IC to my amps.

That was my thought too. I know of no other hi end pre that offers a choice of 5 xlr or 5 rca or a combination of the RCA, xlr for 5 input total. The only thing it is missing is a polarity switch, which is included on the XS model.

edit: XS---which I am about to make the call for demo...I am procrastinating the evitable.

Last edited:

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I'll second (or third) the recommendations made above, and add one key point. If you're looking to automate the HT side of the system through some kind of universal remote control then make sure that there are discrete IR codes available for the selection of the HT input. Many years ago I had a Rowland Coherence Series II and although the bypass input worked there was no way to select that input directly via a remote. The only codes the unit understood were for sequentially cycling through all of the inputs.

Ultimately I replaced the Rowland with a VTL TL-7.5 Series II and never looked back. Being able to automate the HT side was an absolute requirement for inter-spousal happiness and that was justification enough for a nice upgrade :D

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
ASINDC,

Three questions:

1 - Do you have any experience no changing the stock tubes?
2 - How does the remote control works?
3 - Do you have the 28BSST2 or the 28BSST?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That was my thought too. I know of no other hi end pre that offers a choice of 5 xlr or 5 rca or a combination of the RCA, xlr for 5 input total. The only thing it is missing is a polarity switch, which is included on the XS model.

edit: XS---which I am about to make the call for demo...I am procrastinating the evitable.

You're dead meat and you know it :p

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
ASINDC,

Three questions:

1 - Do you have any experience no changing the stock tubes?

Yes, and my wallet is much lighter for it! The best 6SN7 tubes are NOS from the 40s and 50s and they are damn expensive, but they sound oh so good. The stock tubes are not bad, btw, just not as good as you can get.

2 - How does the remote control works?

The new remote is much better than the old, which I just had to replace because it decided to retire after seven years. In the more recent builds, the re-designed circuit board includes an upgrade of the remote control functions. You should know that the remote only controls volume and mute, at least in older versions like mine.

3 - Do you have the 28BSST2 or the 28BSST?

28B-SST2, built last year.

ipadasher

Mar 16, 2014
Yes, and my wallet is much lighter for it! The best 6SN7 tubes are NOS from the 40s and 50s and they are damn expensive, but they sound oh so good. The stock tubes are not bad, btw, just not as good as you can get.

28B-SST2, built last year.

Where Can I found these tubes online?

What do you think of your Brystons? I like mine so much, and there a lot of people that do not like bryston, but i have never seen a bad review of this specific model.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Where Can I found these tubes online?

What do you think of your Brystons? I like mine so much, and there a lot of people that do not like bryston, but i have never seen a bad review of this specific model.

Tubedepot, thetubestore, and ebay are some of the places to find NOS tubes, though with ebay you have to be careful, of course. The very best NOS tubes don't come up often, so you have to be fortuitous in some respect.

The 28Bs are wonderful. Almost non-existent background and excellent presentation in all areas. Had Parasound JC1s before these, which were very hard to beat and are absolutely the best SS amps under $10K, but the 28Bs are clearly on a higher level. They are destination amps as far as I'm concerned.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Check out Jeff Rowland Chorus w/ out board power supply pre owned on Audiogone. Great preamp at $16k retail used in excellent condition $7200 I would think. I own one and must say it is very musical & has many great features. Also the new Capri II is very nice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing