Power supply sag and load lines

dtbradio

Jun 11, 2023
Hi All!

I've been looking around Google, etc, trying to find any general rule of thumb with regards to power supply sag when calculating load lines. The measured B+ when the tubes are cold always drops when the tubes begin conducting, barring a regulated HT supply. Maybe I'm over-complicating things, but it would seem that each power supply change (resistor value, cap value, etc), will yield a different plate voltage, giving different bias level needs, etc. Is there a general rule of thumb for this? Thanks for any and all insight!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi All!

I've been looking around Google, etc, trying to find any general rule of thumb with regards to power supply sag when calculating load lines. The measured B+ when the tubes are cold always drops when the tubes begin conducting, barring a regulated HT supply. Maybe I'm over-complicating things, but it would seem that each power supply change (resistor value, cap value, etc), will yield a different plate voltage, giving different bias level needs, etc. Is there a general rule of thumb for this? Thanks for any and all insight!
Some variation in the loadline is to be expected, even solely based on the fact that one model of tubes has variation from part to part.

Changes in series resistances in the power supply will change the operating point.
Changes in capacitance won't.

The rule of thumb is: You calculate the amplifier circuit with specific power supply parameters. Then you design a power supply that matches that
The stiffer (less load dependent) the power supply, the better.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing