Possible to add Electrostatic Supertweeters to DMA 250 ?

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
Using legacy Dynaudio Confidence 5s, each with Velodyne Subwoofer DD 12 inch alongside, fed from DMA250 and DMC30S. The Velodynes run from Balanced Outputs out of Preamp to their line inputs and the Dynaudios from normal spade outputs on DMA250. Preamp is connected to Power Amp via RCA, of course. All works well. The Dynaudios have excellent neutral qualities and outstanding Esotar mid range and treble but range is not WIDEBAND as they go from 22Khz to 47Hz. The Velodynes augment the bottom end.

QUESTION:
I am thinking of adding electrostatic super tweeters to theDynaudio 5s to complement the the top end and produce more of a complete WIDEBAND result, thus taking more advantage of the Spectral output, if possible.
Each would plug into the speaker terminals on the Dynaudios via banana plugs thus connected in parallel but not directly into the DMA250 speaker sockets.
I asked the Supertweeter Manufacturer about using them with Spectral amp and they cannot say but did advise :
" The supertweeter range below 5KHz has an impedance >20 Ohms, so I don't think this will cause any concern in parallel with the main speaker. At 20KHz and above there is an impedance of appoximatly 3 Ohms. The range above 20KHz is resistive because the supertweeter driver is an isoplanar design, it is not inductive like most dome tweeters. Is the amp expecting the usual inductive voice coil rise of a dome tweeter? "

http://www.audiosmile.com/supertweeter-mkii.html

Is it safe to try these or not at all ? If they are unsatisfactory, I can return them but I do not want at all to try something that might possibly cause any problems....
My understanding of these matters is not up to making a properly informed decision. Thus, if somebody has the necessary technical ability and understanding to give a competent and reliable answer - THAT would be magnificent !

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Safe, probably, as long as your amp can handle the very low high-frequency load. two ohms in parallel with your main tweeter is going to be very low for most amplifiers, right up where stability may become an issue. I have no idea the stability of your amp, though Spectral is known for having very wide bandwidth. I would not risk it but then again I feel no need for amplifying frequencies that seem to exist on recordings mainly as marketing and to antagonize dogs and bats. I personally find it very hard to believe you need such a wideband system. Do you know how high you can hear?

The ESL will not radiate like your main tweeter and thus may not integrate well. Since the manufacturer states it is resistive, I suspect it is a ribbon or planar dynamic, not a true ESL, but I do not know.

A lot of stuff is sold to people who feel they want something more and have the funds. Have you tried adjusting the treble? What most perceive as HF boost is actually in the say 6 kHz to 12 kHz octave...

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Those are planar magnetic, not electrostatic. I don't know if they would cause a problem with your amps. My guess is it would be fine. Your best bet would be to contact Spectral and ask them.

graystoke4

Apr 28, 2011
uk nottingham
i have run townshend super tweeters with a 250 with the cables piggybacking into the main cable going into the speakers with no problem at all,,, but i think these are ribbon tweeters,

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I bought a pr of Audiosmile STs and ended up selling them. I hung onto them beyond the 30 day return window. They made no difference whatsoever when added to my VSA VR5 Anniversaries.

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
i have run townshend super tweeters with a 250 with the cables piggybacking into the main cable going into the speakers with no problem at all,,, but i think these are ribbon tweeters,

That's interesting. With which speakers ? What was the result - audible improvement or not much ? Thanks for info !

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
I bought a pr of Audiosmile STs and ended up selling them. I hung onto them beyond the 30 day return window. They made no difference whatsoever when added to my VSA VR5 Anniversaries.

not surprising seeing the spec on your speakers is : Frequency Response: 20Hz-70 kHz, +/- 4 dB (30Hz-30 kHz +/- 2 dB)
already super-tweeted for sure.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
not surprising seeing the spec on your speakers is : Frequency Response: 20Hz-70 kHz, +/- 4 dB (30Hz-30 kHz +/- 2 dB)
already super-tweeted for sure.

..u r 100% correct

graystoke4

Apr 28, 2011
uk nottingham
i got rid of my Townshend supper tweeters after changing my speakers fro sonus faber elipsa's to Wilson audio Sasha's , and my amps from a 250 to 360 mk2 mono's, they just did not sound right with the Sasha's overblown with them in line,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing